Pathfinder 1E Paizo re-invents Hexcrawling

Windjammer

Adventurer
Paizo's flagship product are their so-called 'Adventure Paths'. These consist of 6 modules which are intended to jointly deliver a campaign using the D&D 3.5 (now: Pathfinder RPG) ruleset for PCs from level 1 to 15. Ever since Paizo started doing these Adventure Paths (APs for short) there was a vocal minority among their fanbase who complained that the APs as a whole suffered from two intertwined design issues:

1. Mega-railroady. The campaign was premised on an unfolding 'plot' whose major plot points was set in stone. The PCs could be as stupid or clever as they like, this metaplot would unfold as determined at square 1.

2. NPC driven. The action of the plot (1.) unfolds because NPCs set in motion their major plans. PCs (and their players) are delegated to stop these plans.

Especially 2. was a bit unattractive, as it was just the same 'Stop Dr Evil!!!' every single time over the past 4 years. Austin Powers is sexier than Dr Evil and his Mini-Me, but on the whole, it's Dr Evil who gets to set in motion his own camp on the moon to unleash destruction on the world. In short, he gets to do all sort of cool stuff and the PCs are just there to foil him. Not very interesting.

So as of yesterday, Paizo has now released for the first time an adventure path which tries to re-instate player pro-activity and also tune down some of the assumed meta-plot and rail-roadiness in their flagship product. The AP is called 'Kingmaker', and is touted by Paizo as a hybrid between a campaign-with-plot and a sandbox: players have to scout the wilderlands to the south of civilized lands, tame the wilds, establish a new barony, and fight off any forces that assault their new kingdom. In short, it's the players whose characters set in motion their plan, and the DM is their to throw adversary forces at them to foil these plans. In short, a beautiful return to the Expert set for Basic D&D/BECMI.

The interesting thing will be to see whether Paizo can pull it off while at the same time not losing their customers they have picked up thanks to, and not despite of, trends 1. and 2. above.

As of yesterday, the first instalment of the AP - Stolen Land - went live for subscribers as a download. The accompanying 'Player's Guide' also went live and is available for a free download here. I'm going to show you a small resolution sample and strongly encourage you to download the original guide at Paizo. It's beautiful, it's free, it's a watershed in mainstream campaign design. Here we go:

ptolusalem

All content copyright by Paizo of course.

So on the top left corner we got the new cover and page background art. It emphasizes hex crawling. Which is cool. Hex crawling is the essence of sandbox play. It's also heartwarming to see this in a time when commercial publishers have all but forgotten that until as recent as 2 years ago all Paizo Basic 'Flipmats' and Chessex battlemaps had little hexmaps on their reverse sides to cater for hexcrawling games. The idea of these reverse sides is that players trace their progress in the unknown lands by crawling from hex to hex and jotting down terrain detail.

Which gets us to the graphic (displayed above) in the right half. It's an A4-sized plain hex map for the players to use. The Players Guide explains the function thus:

Blank Hex Map: Use copies of these maps to track your progress in exploring the four zones of the Stolen Lands. Each sheet of blank hexes is equal in size to one of the four Stolen Land regions; as you explore, draw in the terrain features, rivers, locations, and other discoveries as you see fit. The box at the bottom of each hex can be used to track which hexes you’ve thoroughly explored (simply walking through a hex does not count as exploring it—your GM has guidelines on what you need to do to fully explore a hex), which hexes you’ve claimed and added to your kingdom, and which hexes have been developed as farmland. Put an “E” in the box once you explore a hex, a “K” once you add that hex to your kingdom, and an “F” if you devlop that kingdom hex as farmland.
Which gets us to the last image displayed above - left bottom corner. It's a map of the region in full coloured glory, replete with accurate distances shown to reasonable scale, indicating all major terrain elements of the region - mountain and forest ranges, rivers - even political borders of the individual baronies the players are supposed to map.

Which caused me to throw a hissy fit on the Paizo forums, and reference an article in Paizo's own print-run of Dragon Magazine. Cue adrenaline rush and nerdrage:

me on Paizo said:
WTF INCLUDING A FULLY DETAILED MAP ON THE REGION ON PAGE 11 OF THE PLAYERS GUIDE??!?!?!?!?!?!

Is this a joke or what? The whole POINT of a hex-crawling campaign is that the players start out with a white sheet. Check out the player maps for Necromancer Games' Wilderlands box to see what I mean. Read Monte Cook's article in Dragon #319. Did anyone on the design team EVER play a hex-crawling game? Peeped into the Mentzer Expert set and its instructions?

AAAARGH. Well, good to know that I'll have to disallow my players from using the PG to not ruin their experience. It's not ruining the campaign, not by a wide stretch, especially if you run it as 'yet another non-hex crawling campaign EXCEPT with a cute hex page art'. Oh, perhaps that's because what it is.

Sorry to be negative and upset, but seeing the map in the PG really ruined the whole underlying idea for me as per the Monte Cook article referenced above - taken from the former glorious days of Paizo publishing, no less.

Monte Cook in Dragon Magazine issue 319 said:
Designing Wilderness Adventures: Adventuring off the map

The PCs head into dangerous territory, occupied not by commoners and gentlefolk, but by monsters and creatures the like of which no one has ever seen. They don't know the way, and their main goals are simply discovery and survival.
(...)
Before you can send your PCS off into the true wilderness, you've got to figure out what 'wilderness' is. What's meant here isn't just a lot of trees between towns, or a dangerous mountain pass. 'Wilderness' is a forest where no one knows what's on the other side. Mountains where - if there is indeed a navigable pass - no one knows where it is. The PCs don't have maps; they don't have any knowledge at all of what lies even one step ahead.

Fortunately, as it turned out this was simply a misunderstanding of mine. :D The main region shown in the detailed map shows the starting region of the players. The campaign has them map the terrain to the south (the 'River Kingdoms'), only a fraction of which is shown in the map. Here are two salient replies, the second by Paizo's own James Jacobs.

Helpful poster said:
Whoa, deep breath. That's a map of Brevoy, the nation which sends PCs to explore the Stolen Lands. It appears on page 11 above a description of the noble houses (from which PCs may choose to descend) to provide context when those descriptions reference locations within Brevoy.

James Jacobs said:
The map of the region the PCs will be exploring basically consists of a swath of land between Brevoy and the River Kingdoms; this area's long and rectangular but covers the same square mileage as the state of Maine, pretty much.

Furthermore, while you can certainly see the area on the overland map, we've put a LOT more detail in there for Kingmaker; there's mountain ranges, swamps and all sorts of stuff for the players to explore.

So I guess I'm glad that I was mistaken. ;) This matter settled (and to be honest, I just thought the Monte Cook quote was important to bring up in the OP regardless)...

I am interested to hear people's impression of this newest experiment by Paizo. It's futile to try to predict how the Kingmaker Adventure Path will unfold, but first impressions are always interesting to hear and easy to give.

Plus I'm interested to hear how much mapped terrain you usually give your players in a hex-crawling game when they start out. I only give mine a single hex on the world map which stretches 40 miles across (that's 0.5 % of what Paizo gives you). So let me know how much you give your players and why.

Thanks and happy gaming!

PS. I hope this doesn't need saying but... a Paizo adventure path is 90% an edition-neutral product and thus can be utilized for any edition of D&D. Simply swap out the monster stat blocks for your favourite edition, and let the actual adventure and its assumptions about campaign design override your favourite edition's default stance on that issue.

Last edited:

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
I was really looking forward to this until I saw the Player's Guide: now I am rather excited!

I'm a 4E DM but I buy all the Paizo stuff and have plans to run at least one 4E campaign in Golarion at some point and I think that first campaign is likely to be Kingmaker.

I really hope it will be a success and I am sure it will be. Paizo gets things right.

Dannager

First Post
While I'm certainly not familiar with the whole scheme of how they'll be managing the exploration/kingdom-building aspect of the AP, I did look at the free player's guide PDF. It looks like all the kingdom management metagame stuff is based on its own system which is largely detached from the Pathfinder RPG ruleset. It ought to be easy to convert. Not that I'll get around to it, necessarily, but it's nice to know it's there.

S'mon

Legend
It sounds very interesting! I have my gaming plans already mapped out for about the next year, but this looks like something worth considering for 2011.

I'm still a bit concerned about play length though - 3.5e levels 1-15 would be around 45 play sessions, which for me is at least 2 years, which I'm unlikely to complete. I'd prefer something in the 12-15 session range.

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
So as of yesterday, Paizo has now released for the first time an adventure path which tries to re-instate player pro-activity and also tune down some of the assumed meta-plot and rail-roadiness in their flagship product. The AP is called 'Kingmaker', and is touted by Paizo as a hybrid between a campaign-with-plot and a sandbox: players have to scout the wilderlands to the south of civilized lands, tame the wilds, establish a new barony, and fight off any forces that assault their new kingdom. In short, it's the players whose characters set in motion their plan, and the DM is their to throw adversary forces at them to foil these plans. In short, a beautiful return to the Expert set for Basic D&D/BECMI.

Sounds excellent. For another fairly contemporary take on this, check out the WFRPv2 supplement Renegade Crowns, where terrain generation is randomised to a great extent, making it possible to truly create your own sandbox.

Renegade Crowns - Fantasy Flight Games | DriveThruRPG.com

I liked Renegade Crowns so I will definitely check out Kingmaker!

/M

MortalPlague

Adventurer
Plus I'm interested to hear how much mapped terrain you usually give your players in a hex-crawling game when they start out. I only give mine a single hex on the world map which stretches 40 miles across (that's 0.5 % of what Paizo gives you). So let me know how much you give your players and why.

I just discovered the joys of hex-crawling! I've put my players in the Underdark for my 4.0 game, and I decided to hex map the Underdark. To mimic the difficulty in navigating the endless maze of caves, fissures, caverns, cracks, and corridors, it requires a dungeoneering check to successfully move to an adjacent hex; failure moves the group in a random direction instead. So far, it's been a rousing success.

To answer the question, I started them with one hex, for obvious reasons. I've taken to giving them broad descriptions of the areas adjacent; I'll tell them the caves to the south seem to open up wider, or the tunnels to the northwest feel cool and damp, but beyond that, they have to forge ahead into the unknown to explore the Underdark.

Rechan

Adventurer
The notion of Hexcrawling doesn't exactly titilate me. But the notion of the AP - the Building of your own kingdom et al - is right up my ally. I LOVE nation building. Especially when it comes to the "Diplomatic" stage of expanding via favors and all that good stuff. :D

But it's not my system. :(

Jack99

Adventurer
But it's not my system. :(

Haven't had the time to check out the first adventure, which should hold the rules, but I doubt it is linked that much to PFRPG. I am hoping (and expecting) it to be relatively easy to transport to 4e, which I plan to do.

Rechan

Adventurer
Haven't had the time to check out the first adventure, which should hold the rules, but I doubt it is linked that much to PFRPG. I am hoping (and expecting) it to be relatively easy to transport to 4e, which I plan to do.
Sure, but that requires finding a DM who will 1) run it and then 2) Convert it and 3) Run it online. ;)

Remove ads