Pathfinder 1E Paizo re-invents Hexcrawling

Windjammer

Adventurer
Sounds excellent. For another fairly contemporary take on this, check out the WFRPv2 supplement Renegade Crowns, where terrain generation is randomised to a great extent, making it possible to truly create your own sandbox.

Funny that you should mention this. Remember some time ago when I posted my hex-map for the 4E Realms? Only yesterday did I get round to post my random encounter tables which go with them (see here (plus a follow-up in which I explain my preference for these tables to method in the 4E DMG is here); the map is in the OP to that thread, and also on Enworld somewhere in a thread I titled "New Realms = Old School"). Excerpting from that post,

1. I divide each hex in 6 sections (Northwest, Northeast, East, Southeast, Southwest, West), so PCs crossing a hex will have an entry and an exit section on that hex. Drawing smaller scale maps is too much hassle for myself, and I'm happier to let players do that sort of stuff at the table for me as I add in details as we go along. I should say that the first chapter in Renegade Crowns (a WFRPG 2e supplement) is superb for adding hex details on the fly.

BryonD

Hero
Haven't had the time to check out the first adventure, which should hold the rules, but I doubt it is linked that much to PFRPG. I am hoping (and expecting) it to be relatively easy to transport to 4e, which I plan to do.
Just fyi, there isn't much on "... nation building. Especially when it comes to the "Diplomatic" stage of expanding via favors and all that good stuff..." in Part 1.

Part 1 is about low level characters exploring the wilderness and establishing footholds.

roguerouge

First Post
I've been requesting a "explore a new land" adventure path for two years on their boards whenever the design team solicits module ideas. So, obviously, I'm viscerally excited. The fact that it is going to include mass combat and kingdom management rules is very exciting as well. (Although I'm shocked that such things aren't in their version of the DMG, I'm pleased it's not, as I don't intend to buy that.)

Kingmaker

I'm starting a Kingmaker campaign in the next couple of weeks. I'm really excited about this! I've always been a proponent in theory of sandbox play, but the paizo adventure paths are so good that I've been running them for the past few years in spite of their railroadiness. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Paizo is capable of in a sandbox style campaign.

If your're within a reasonable drive of downtown Los Angeles, and are interested in playing (alternate Sundays, noonish) send me a PM! I still have a slot or two open.

Ken

Chainsaw

Banned
Banned
I just discovered the joys of hex-crawling! I've put my players in the Underdark for my 4.0 game, and I decided to hex map the Underdark. To mimic the difficulty in navigating the endless maze of caves, fissures, caverns, cracks, and corridors, it requires a dungeoneering check to successfully move to an adjacent hex; failure moves the group in a random direction instead. So far, it's been a rousing success.

To answer the question, I started them with one hex, for obvious reasons. I've taken to giving them broad descriptions of the areas adjacent; I'll tell them the caves to the south seem to open up wider, or the tunnels to the northwest feel cool and damp, but beyond that, they have to forge ahead into the unknown to explore the Underdark.

This sounds cool - you have a website or anything with more detail?

Steel_Wind

Legend
Wow. Very cool!

This is most definitely a new take on the AP design. I have a few APs I have not run yet, (and I've switched to a home brewed Star Wars:SE -- The Old Republic campaign right now anyways)... but this is very cool.

To Erik and James: this AP design is something I will definitely buy and hope to run some day.

To the OP: Awesome post. Paizo should send you something as it definitely earned them a sale!

Merlin the Tuna

First Post
I just discovered the joys of hex-crawling! I've put my players in the Underdark for my 4.0 game, and I decided to hex map the Underdark. To mimic the difficulty in navigating the endless maze of caves, fissures, caverns, cracks, and corridors, it requires a dungeoneering check to successfully move to an adjacent hex; failure moves the group in a random direction instead. So far, it's been a rousing success.

To answer the question, I started them with one hex, for obvious reasons. I've taken to giving them broad descriptions of the areas adjacent; I'll tell them the caves to the south seem to open up wider, or the tunnels to the northwest feel cool and damp, but beyond that, they have to forge ahead into the unknown to explore the Underdark.
Oh dear, I like this. I like this a lot.

Also, to respond to the OP... in what way is this a reinvention of hexcrawling?

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Interesting. Someone running such a game might want to look over my last (totally-freeform) sandbox sessions thread. I could see how the cities/towns in their PH might be a bit more intriguing to explore (perhaps they use a similar method to mine).

EN World D&D / RPG News - Wednesday Evening Sandbox Sessions

The biggest difference, obviously, is that they start with a predetermined map for the overall landscape, taking considerable amounts of improv duty off of the GM. Looks like a winner. I can't wait to see more of the rules they will use for exploring and building.

darjr

I crit!
wow!

This is such a great idea. Man, now I have to refigure out the finances...

I'm very interested in anyone that has 4eisms for this.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Plus I'm interested to hear how much mapped terrain you usually give your players in a hex-crawling game when they start out. I only give mine a single hex on the world map which stretches 40 miles across (that's 0.5 % of what Paizo gives you). So let me know how much you give your players and why.
Players initially start with 0% of the map. That isn't to say they cannot describe where their PCs grew up, but this is all verbal description for me to fit onto the generated map. Exploration of the world starts after the game begins.

For me, maps are information and information is the primary treasure of the game. It is quantified just as is every other kind of treasure/resource. These all fall into what I call the UPS: unified point system by which I balance the game challenges. Such systems aren't unusual in the history of RPG design. It's just my players learn of these relationships by recognizing their patterns during play, instead of by reading these rules (the map ;)) in a book beforehand.

I diverge with Monte's quoted advice on only one very minor detail. Some NPCs do know what is beyond that forest terrain in the wilderness (or any terrain). But that information is a resource to be earned and is accounted for in the NPC's quantified power total.

PS: Awesome idea by Erik, James, and the gang at Paizo. I may have to buy this now. Major praise to them for doing this.

PPS: Dude, you have to chill out on the messageboards.

Remove ads