Building Rand Al'Thor Wheel of Time

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Any Wheel of Time fans out there .... This is probably a poor rendering of the character in some ways... he is definitely a melee arcanist character...I almost think inspite of the flavor of this tainted dark side of the force which strains his sanity.. A Swordmage/Wizard might work better.

Rand Al Thor, level 1
Human, Warlock
Build: Scourge Warlock
Eldritch Pact: Dark Pact
Eldritch Blast: Eldritch Blast Charisma
Eldritch Strike: Eldritch Strike Charisma
Background: Forest Warden (Forest Warden Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 13, Dex 8, Int 13, Wis 10, Cha 20.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 13, Dex 8, Int 13, Wis 10, Cha 18.

AC: 11 Fort: 12 Reflex: 13 Will: 17
HP: 30 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Intimidate +10, Nature +6, Insight +5, Arcana +6, Perception +6

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics -1, Bluff +5, Diplomacy +5, Dungeoneering, Endurance +1, Heal, History +1, Religion +1, Stealth -1, Streetwise +5, Thievery -1, Athletics

FEATS
Human: White Lotus Riposte
Level 1: Toughness

POWERS
Bonus At-Will Power: Eldritch Strike
Eldritch Blast: Eldritch Blast
Warlock encounter 1: Darkworm Feast
Warlock daily 1: Crown of Stars

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
i think I would be tempted now to build him as a multiclass Berserker.... but I think an actual Ashaman class which was patterned after the berserker would be a better fit.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
How about reflavoring runepriest, and hybriding it with something? I'm not really up on WoT... lol.

The key feature of the Ashaman was the drawing on power of the one force drove them crazy they could tap into it for minor effects but over time it endangered sanity some would hear things and other effects... but arguably the primary hero was hearing the voice of an earlier incarnation in his head.

Marshall

First Post
If you really want to simulate the insanity, Star Pact is closer. As a 4e character tho, he's a Dragon Sorceror with some Fighter or Warlord MC feats, a woodsy theme and the definition of the Auspicious Birth/Good Omen background. Possibly a Revenant Dragonborn, one of the insanity/fear based PPs and a Demigod-like Dragon Reborn ED.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
If you really want to simulate the insanity, Star Pact is closer. As a 4e character tho, he's a Dragon Sorceror with some Fighter or Warlord MC feats, a woodsy theme and the definition of the Auspicious Birth/Good Omen background. Possibly a Revenant Dragonborn, one of the insanity/fear based PPs and a Demigod-like Dragon Reborn ED.
I agree auspicious Birth and many elements will work and help bring on flavor.

The insanity which meant greater losses of control seemed like creating huge amounts of collateral damage... Hmmmmm makes me think of Non-ally friendly area effect attacks...

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
It occurs to me for Rand himself I really do not have any reason to want to simulate the sanity problems that beset NPC Ashamen.

http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/Rand_al%27Thor#From_the_Two_Rivers

Rand when he begins this story is in his universes equivalent of a half-elf an archer huntsman and a swordsman

At the point he discovers his gift/power he could even be swordmage the flaming sword effects are appropriate, shielding is accomplished by controlling air ... At one point he can also trap an enemy with air. (what about a daily that mechanically does a sleep spell which paralyzes the enemy) ... Flames abound in the magic of the Ashaman and yeah the Dragon imagery but he can do many things with it. (manipulating any of the elements and in ritual contexts even heal)

Dipping in to the One Power when it is tainted (as it was through most of the stories) pushed urges of violence and anger but not sure arguably it was causing psychic damage.

He has a relic that amounts to a sword focus an Excalibur designed for channeling it would enhance his power massively but he basically put it aside after one use... could be a plot device even.

His previous incarnation tainted the one power and destroyed those around him... Rand didnt ever do this but its rather back story and a fear of what he might do if he didnt control it --> The voice in his head is his previous incarnation arguably he never really exhibits significant sanity issues and he is eventually with the help of another the one who repairs the source of all Ashamans power itself... this is one badassed super mage.

Last edited:

Remove ads