D&D General Character building

Apilarius

First Post
I'm in the process of creating a character on dnd beyond and have a few questions because honestly I have no idea what I'm doing.

I chose aasimar cleric and the character sheet has 8 str 10 dex 15 int 14 wis 13 charisma is that normal or does that seem high?

What can I choose for starting equipment and what's the max weight? I saw it recommends a mace but is that optional?(would prefer a sword)

The stats look to be the standard array of stats you can choose if you don't roll your own stats manually.

There should be an equipment page in the character build process. The quick and easy way to get equipment is to pick one of the packs it has as options. Explorer pack as an example. Or you can look up the starting gold table and manually buy equipment.

Hope this helps, I'm not super great at explaining things.

Oofta

Legend
I'm in the process of creating a character on dnd beyond and have a few questions because honestly I have no idea what I'm doing.

I chose aasimar cleric and the character sheet has 8 str 10 dex 15 int 14 wis 13 charisma is that normal or does that seem high?

What can I choose for starting equipment and what's the max weight? I saw it recommends a mace but is that optional?(would prefer a sword)

There's a bit more to creating a character than just hitting "generate". First, I think it would probably help to have someone more experienced walk you through the basics in person. If that's not an option there's a bit of reading that would probably help more than what I can type here. You may want to also google for D&D for starters video or two. I'm gong to walk through the highlights you need, at the end I'll tell you what I would probably do.

First, there's some general concepts of character building to start with. Or just skip the next few paragraphs and go to the bottom. :) Let's start with ability scores. In DndBeyond there's a link at the top for Sources. Go to that and find Player's Handbook. This is the basic how-to guide for players, you don't have to read through the whole thing but there are a couple of places you probably want to look at.

Fist thing I'd start with is looking at the PHB (Player's Handbook) is Part 2: Playing the Game > Using Ability Scores and scroll down to Using Each Ability. This is going to explain things like what the associated numbers mean, like strength, dexterity, etc..

Next, because you had questions about equipment you probably need to look at Equipment > Weapons. Your class will be proficient (good at using) different weapons, but we'll get there is a moment. One section to pay attention to is the Weapon Properties section, because you mentioned wanting to use a long sword. Different types of weapons use different ability scores, strength is probably more important than dexterity for a lot of weapons a cleric is going to use are going to rely on strength. For example a longsword uses strength, so an 8 strength won't work very well. On the other hand, a cleric can pretty much ignore weapons if you want and rely solely on spells.

Next I'd look at the different classes. You can do this in the PHB as well. Not sure why you're playing a cleric, but you can read through what all the classes do here. In DndBeyond you can also go to Game Rules > Classes, because that will have all the classes and subclasses you're allowed to have. You can do the same with Game Rules > Races to get details on Aasimar, for example that they have same height and weight ranges as humans. Also note that after you get your base ability scores you add +2 to 1 ability and +1 to another ability.

So ... that's a lot but we're not done yet. You also have to pick out spells for you cleric. When editing your character you can go to Class > Spells > Known Spells. This is where you go to prepare the spells you will be able to cast. I'd suggest cantrips (spells you can cast as often as you like) Sacred Flame or Toll of the Dead (does a little more damage, but some monsters will be resistant or immune) for damage. Next I'd look at Guidance to help the team succeed on ability checks. Good 1st level spells (ones you have limited number you can cast per day) would be Guiding Bolt, Healing Word, perhaps Cure Wounds if it isn't always prepared based on your domain.

For equipment there are two things to consider. Remember up above when I said you should look at equipment in the PHB? This is why. Most clerics are not proficient in longswords, although your domain choice can change that. To see what weapons you're proficient with, edit your PC (Player Character) go to Equipment > Add Items. Select Weapon and uncheck "Magical" to shorten the list a bit but leave "Proficient" selected.

When it comes to ability scores, a lot of it depend on how you see your PC and what role you want them to play. With an 8 strength, you probably aren't going to be a front line fighter whacking people over the head. You definitely shouldn't be swinging a longsword, although a good dex will make you decent with a light crossbow which at low levels may be a better option than your cantrips for damage.

But onward! Okay, so I've covered quite a bit. I'm assuming that in DndBeyond your ability scores look like (I'm no sure exactly which version of Aasimar you chose, I took "Fallen Aasimar")
Screenshot 2023-12-28 080745.jpg

So your actual ability scores after adjustments are 9, 10, 12, 15, 14, 15. Which, to be honest doesn't make a lot of sense for a cleric. As a cleric the ability score you want highest would likely be Wisdom and Intelligence may help outside of combat but it probably lower priority. Also, D&D is a bit weird in that only the even numbers matter, a 15 is the same as a 14 for game purposes.

So if I want to do a fighting cleric, I'd probably pick the Tempest or War domains to get access to heavy armor when you select your class and then do something like
Screenshot 2023-12-28 081849.jpg

So I have a decent strength, constitution (important for HP (hit points)) which will help you take more hits, a good starting wisdom and charisma. Phew. You probably want to ask your DM if you can use the alternate rules where you change where the ability score modifiers go, the default is adding +2 to charisma and +1 to strength. If you can change that, while editing your PC go to Home > Optional Features and turn on "Customize Your Origin". Then you can add +2 to wisdom and +1 to something else such as strength.

Of course I'd probably do a Fallen Aasimar paladin instead, or a hill dwarf cleric but that's another story.

When it comes to equipment, I'd grab chain mail and a shield for armor and you may be limited to a mace for a bit. Ask your DM if you can take a longsword instead but honestly it's not going to matter for long. You'll be able to buy new weapons quickly in most games.

So there's my thoughts. Do a little reading, get a better understanding. Now I have to quit procrastinating and get my day started. Good luck!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-28 081646.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-12-28 081646.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 25

Clint_L

Hero
Oofta’s advice is exceptional! Picking spells can be a lot to wrap your head around for a new player, so that’s where to get help from an experienced friend, if possible.

Remember, as a cleric you tend to be sort of a secondary fighter. It’s your ability to support everyone around you with spells like bless and healing word that make clerics so popular to have in a group.

Remove ads