HS1 - The Slaying Stone - my poor reviewing skills review

AnthonyRoberson

First Post
Setting aside the context of the adventure.

Are there any exceptional encounters? Ones that stand out as worth mining from the adventure - like the Well of Demons from Thunderspire?

In other words, is there anything in there that's valuable to those who don't run the module, but are looking for useful things?

I didn't run across any encounters that really made me say 'wow' but overall Ii think this is one of the best low-level modules WOTC has ever produced. Everything from the open nature of the adventure to the DM advice is really top notch.

Festivus

First Post
The only encounter that stood out to me as something the players would probably remember later...
[sblock]
... involves a kobold who carries with him a toxic oil that attracts an ankheg to that player. Watch the hilarity and mayhem as a massive ankheg comes chasing after whomever is marked with the pheromone.[/sblock]

As a DM, there are several ways for that scene to play out that could be quite memorable.

I agree with Anthony that this is probably the best 4E low level adventure I have seen to date from WoTC. Perhaps the feedback thread was really taken into consideration.

AnthonyRoberson

First Post
Minor rant about HS1. I appreciate that WoTC mentions in the module that they are providing a downloadable copy of the player's map on their website. That's great! But how about putting it somewhere SO I CAN ACTUALLY FIND IT! Is that so hard?

Logan_Bonner

First Post
The map's actually made up of D&D Minis maps made for a starter that never came out. So you can thank Steve Schubert for designing those!

The adventure was a last-minute change to the schedule, so I couldn't commission new art or maps. Everything's made with existing stuff, except the map I drew myself. :)

ggroy

First Post
- Question to Logan Bonner.

What happened to "Reavers of Harkenwold"?

(If you're allowed to answer this question).

Starting to run this adventure at my FLGS in two days, and I'm really looking forward to it.
[sblock]I can't wait to see what my players do with the dragon![/sblock]

Logan_Bonner

First Post
- Question to Logan Bonner.

What happened to "Reavers of Harkenwold"?

(If you're allowed to answer this question).

It was originally one of the long-form adventures. I had the option to either adapt it or do something new, and I went with the latter. I think they found a way to re-use it. The art and maps were all done, so I sure hope they did!

Remove ads