Mearls is the new manager of D&D

ppaladin123

Adventurer
I _want_ the 4E gamers to have a great system. And considering that Mike basically designed 4E, I can only think that this promotion will be good for 4E and people who play it.

So, again, congratulations!

Ken

How much control did Mike have over the initial design and development of the core 4e rules? He is not listed as a designer for either 4e or the PHB I but rather as a developer. I take that to mean that he did not set the design goals for the system (the power system, rituals, skill system, the math, etc.) but rather worked to implement them/tweak them.

It is in PHB II that Mike shows up as a designer. Maybe he is responsible then for abandoning the clunky V-shaped class model, for starting to stretch the power system with stances and polymorphs and so forth, and for giving controllers more to do than simply lay down AoE blasts.

I don't know that Mearls made 4e so much as he made it better (in my opinion of course) and has continued (in the PHB III, in dragon articles, etc.) to try to make it a more elegant and flexible. He is working within a system laid out by Rob Heinsoo, Andy Collins and James Wyatt.

I can only wonder what the system would have looked like if he had taken a design role from the start.

pogre

Legend
Mearls,

Congrats! Have fun and go crazy. I expect big things.

Later,

pogre

PS - I would be jealous, but I know you are going to be working your tail off!

Congratulations, Mike! And a good "inauguration" speech, too!

I've basically been a "fan" since Iron Heroes - the system's design goals resonated well with me. Ultimately, it was an imperfect system, but I can see a lot of concepts cropping up again in D&D 4.

I am looking forward to see how D&D will evolve now. (Hopefully, the future will also contain more eBooks or PDF versions of D&D material - over all editions)

JeffB

Legend
Great news--I like what he's done for the game.

+1.

Congrats Mike! I personally have really liked your work and what's been done with 4E. And I really thought I would HATE 4E (FROST GIANTS ARE NOT IN THE MM!?? WTH!!). Not EVERYTHING is perfect, but it brought me back to playing D&D again after I gave up on the prior edition in 2003. I like the "fresh take" on the game after 30 years of regurgitating the same ol stuff (not that I don't like the older material, but after awhile, I'd had enough of buying it over and over again).

As another poster mentioned, I think quality adventures is where the current game really lacks (barring the "plug & play stuff present in books like Open Grave, etc).

Good Luck, you're gonna need it ;)

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
As both one of the few game designers I have had an extended discussion with and someone who's career I have followed for a while, I would like to say to Mr. Mearls...

......Get to Work!

And try to enjoy it....

Scribble

First Post
I loved book of iron might, and Iron Heroes... He really started to resonate with me though when he started doing the monster reworking stuff a while back.

I'm looking forward to seeing where he takes things.

Alphastream

Adventurer
My best to you, Mike!

It is no surprise that 4E is both revolutionary and divisive... these tend to go hand-in-hand. From here on out it is likely that the game will continue to be this way and unlikely that it will return to the simplicity of the earlier editions. Anyone familiar with the financial realities of RPGs knows that new editions bring an injection of revenue and that too much similarity slows revenue. Quality is always important, but there must be innovation to stimulate revenue. One revolutionary aspect of 4E is that it extends the ways that a company can publish new material - in theory every sourcebook can feel like a new edition and raise much more revenue than the RPG sourcebooks from other editions or companies. This makes it unlikely that a new edition will be created for some time, and also more likely that it will resemble 4E when a new edition does come out.

What Mike will bring, first and foremost, will be his abilities as a manager. It is very difficult to manage a group that has creative talents. Creators dream and scheme and managers control. A good manager knows how to provide the creative outlet and encourage open thought while at the same time maintaining discipline and focus. You want the minds to be open but the work to be defined, on-mission, on-time, and on-budget.

With 4E WotC changed to how it published. The mantra early on was clearly about setting-independent product with just two products for Eberron and FR. Single race or class-specific books were anathema. Somewhat surprisingly, it has tweaked those approaches this year. From just two books for FR we know see several products for DS. We see books for the Dragonborn and Tiefling. From MP2 we skip DP2 and now switch to Essentials. It is hard to know what these changes signal. Was the model in need of a tweak financially? In a big way, or in a small way? Is Essentials a clever attempt to make the game more popular with the new crowd I see (6 tables worth in my city at D&D Encounters games)? Or, is it an attempt to prevent the splatbook boredom that hurt 3.5? Are revenues sagging drastically, or is this a step taken early on, before revenues dropped? Do the layoffs signify more financial bleeding, or do they signal an attempt to stay fresh and continually bring in new talent and explore new directions?

Mike likely has the answers to these questions and now needs to take the right managerial steps, even exploratory ones, to resolve the issues. We can only wonder whether Mike favored the earlier model or the changes brought in this year. And, of course, we can always wonder about why Andy left.

Surely, Mike's personal view on D&D will matter. Any manager must approve what they see before them. Of many options only some can be followed. And, at times, they must speak to what they desire. In both cases, those signals transform what others will design. His will not necessarily be the loudest voice, but it will be the guiding voice if he is an active manager.

Mike knows the game well. He stops and talks to gamers often. He gets how people feel. I am not concerned that he will be unaware of how gamers feel. He is also a capable game developer, arguably amongst the finest. I am not concerned about how he will develop D&D, even knowing that he may not develop the game in a way I would prefer.

In my opinion, the most interesting question will really be around management and financial performance. While this edition seems to have been designed much more cleverly for revenue, and while the staff seems to be happier than in many eras, the layoffs and the inability to deliver Adventure Tools suggest prior mismanagement and financial struggles. I truly hope Mike is the guy that can manage these problems away. In all likelihood, it would be done by hiring experts in those areas, but also by making hard decisions. We all want a financially strong and smartly managed Wotc so they make great products we want to play.

My best to Mike. This must be a really exciting opportunity but also a very challenging time in his life.

EricNoah

Adventurer
Congratulations to you, Mike! And EN World, I think this will be a great opportunity - Mike has been and is one of us, on some level, and I think we will have his ear as long as we don't scream into it too loudly. :)

Remove ads