Immediate Reaction Now?

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Is there anything in 3E or 4E that allows a PC to make an immediate reaction as an interrupt?

Example: in a 4E game, the wizard thunderwaved the monster toward the wall of flame. But the monster was large and didn't squeeze past another PC who was in the way. With an immediate interrupt, the PC in the way could have moved out of the way instantly--allowing the monster to burn in flames as it so richly deserved.

In my opinion, this is the sort of thing one could spend an action point to do. Alternately, a PC could sacrifice his next action to do something like this. His choice of actions would be limited, though.

Thoughts? Houserules? Monkeys?

Steel_Wind

Legend
Yes, Anticipate Movement. It is a Noble Talent in Star Wars:SE. Galaxy At War at page 18:

"One per round as a reaction to an enemy in your line of sight moving, you can enable one ally within your line of sight to move up to his or her speed as a free action".

That's a Talent mind you. It must be available to a character in order for it to be used.

It is not, however, normally a Force Point or Destiny Point option.

Mind you, a Destiny Point in SW:SE ordinarily allows a PC to automatically avoid being hit in any circumstance, or allow him to act out of turn, allowing the same result you intend: i.e, not to get hit or to be able to move immediately and get out of the way.

As usual, Star Wars: SE has been there, done that. :D

Last edited:

Is there anything in 3E or 4E that allows a PC to make an immediate reaction as an interrupt?
In 4e I haven't seen anything like that.

Example: in a 4E game, the wizard thunderwaved the monster toward the wall of flame. But the monster was large and didn't squeeze past another PC who was in the way. With an immediate interrupt, the PC in the way could have moved out of the way instantly--allowing the monster to burn in flames as it so richly deserved.
If I'm not mistaken, the PC doesn't have to use any action to move out of the way in this case; he does so automatically. Creatures entering/passing through a character's space usually provoke opportunity attacks but don't cause forced movement.

TarionzCousin

If I'm not mistaken, the PC doesn't have to use any action to move out of the way in this case; he does so automatically. Creatures entering/passing through a character's space usually provoke opportunity attacks but don't cause forced movement.
It was forced movement and the creature was Large. There wasn't enough space for him to slip past without squeezing, and squeezing is a creature's choice/option. The DM decided that the monster didn't want to squeeze past to enjoy the benefits of being immersed in flame. :(

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
It was forced movement and the creature was Large. There wasn't enough space for him to slip past without squeezing, and squeezing is a creature's choice/option. The DM decided that the monster didn't want to squeeze past to enjoy the benefits of being immersed in flame. :(

I would say that its the ally's choice of whether to allow the monster to pass or not, though to be fair it is a little fuzzy in the rules.

Forced movement says that a creature cannot enter a space that it could not be enter by walking, and you cannot walk into an enemy's space, but I would allow the ally to temporarily designate the monster an "ally" for the duration of the forced movement.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
This sounds like one of those situations where common sense needs to trump written rules.

*Of course* the PC is going to move out of the way - or at least try (I'd force some sort of relatively easy roll to see if she made it or not). Obviously this would require some rule-stretching on the DM's part, but this is one situation where such is clearly called for.

There's lots of other cases where the rules simply prohibit common sense (I could list some, if you like); but that to me is a large part of what the DM is for - to get the rules out of the way of common sense where it makes sense to do so.

Lan-"rules 1, game 0"-efan

TarionzCousin

Eh? I'd say the fairly common Immediate Interrupt fulfills the "make an immediate reaction as an interrupt" criteria. Unless I'm missing something obvious, and my players are cheating all the time.
But if the PC hasn't readied an action (like "move out of the way" in this case) does he get to make an immediate interrupt?

Forced movement doesn't provoke OA's, so the ally (my PC) couldn't attack the Boneclaw. Could he jump out of the way?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
But if the PC hasn't readied an action (like "move out of the way" in this case) does he get to make an immediate interrupt?

Forced movement doesn't provoke OA's, so the ally (my PC) couldn't attack the Boneclaw. Could he jump out of the way?

I'm not sure I understand. He can use any power which is an Immediate Interrupt at any time when the trigger conditions are fulfilled.

So the PC in question would need an appropriate power.

As for the monster, he can't be forced somewhere he couldn't get to by walking normally.

Remove ads