Dark Sun D&D Encounters Characters

I'm not sure that all of those are necessarily errors.
Fair enough. Some things aren't clear-cut.

Where did you come up with +9 Bluff and +10 Diplomacy for Jarvix? I figure he should have +10 Bluff (Tiefling), and only +8 Diplomacy.
You're right, those are my typos for a change. I corrected my summary above.

Is it possible that Phye's iron spear has a +3 proficiency bonus? Maybe (since the default weapons are non-metal) metal weapons get a +1 in Dark Sun, like a masterwork kind of deal?
I compared it with the sheet for Mantis Eaglehawk (from the PA Dark Sun podcasts) who wields an iron bastard sword with a proficiency bonus of +3. (The masterwork stuff would start at paragon tier, anyway.)

While Shikirr's build is certainly suboptimal, it might be by design, and not strictly speaking an "error". Also, maybe Thri-Kreen get a +3 to Athletics?
That's why I put "NOTE" in front, but even the Character Builder does the Quick Battlemind build right. IMO that's an error similar to creating a tactical warlord with Int 10 and Cha 16; someone mixed up the secondaries.

I also think it's very unlikely for a race to have +3 racial bonuses. To date, they've all had +2, no exceptions.

Is it possible that Yuka gains one of those trained skills as a bonus for being a Mul?
Yes, it's possible. However, I suspect it's a systematical error due to the fact that every pre-gen has 4 skills regardless of class; just look at the ranger.

I'd be glad if someone from WotC could double-check this stuff. I sure don't have the Dark Sun rules in front of me, that's why I can only reverse-engineer the characters.

Last edited:

Please realize that these characters were most likely created, play tested and off to the printer prior to the May updates.

I do understand that (and should have mentioned that in my post, I guess). I don't fault WotC for not using their crystal ball to include future updates. ;)
Unfortunately, it is erroneous by the current rules, so I included it for the sake of completeness.

Festivus

First Post
Just a thought here, but how do you know these are errors and not design elements? There is no source book for the product yet.

I bet any errors will probably get fixed in the level 2 bump.

mysticknight232

First Post
I'm surprised nobody mentioned that fact that creating a Sorcerer in the first place seems like an error. I'm not familiar with the DS setting...but from everything I've read, Arcane users are hated and reviled the world over (unless you're a tyranical Sorcerer King). Also, isn't there something to do with stealing lifeforce if you are an Arcane spellcaster? Killing somebody or some living thing in order to cast an arcane spell otherwise it not being very effective?

I'm just surprised they added this class as an introduction to the DS when they're supposed to be so hated.

Obryn

Hero
I'm surprised nobody mentioned that fact that creating a Sorcerer in the first place seems like an error. I'm not familiar with the DS setting...but from everything I've read, Arcane users are hated and reviled the world over (unless you're a tyranical Sorcerer King). Also, isn't there something to do with stealing lifeforce if you are an Arcane spellcaster? Killing somebody or some living thing in order to cast an arcane spell otherwise it not being very effective?
There's Preserving and Defiling. Both draw the energy of life, but preservers put it back once they're done using it. Yes, spellcasters are feared and reviled by the general unwashed masses, but there's always been a place for them in adventuring groups who know the difference.

Wizards had a place in the 2e box set, and you could usually find them in adventuring groups. What was different is that they had ways of hiding their spellcasting in order to avoid mobs.

I'm personally shocked I haven't seen any "OMFG, teiflings sukc. WTF, tehy have no place in dakr sun!!1" posts yet. :)

-O

Just a thought here, but how do you know these are errors and not design elements? There is no source book for the product yet.

You can reverse-engineer the characters using the Character Builder, analysis of released character sheets, preview info, knowledge of design principles & patterns, et cetera. (E.g. racial bonuses to skills have always been +2 so far.)

I don't claim that my list is perfect, and as you can see from my answer to firesnakearies (both here and on the WotC boards), I asked for someone from WotC with access to the actual rules to double-check this. Mudbunny was so kind to pass this along.

There's Preserving and Defiling. Both draw the energy of life, but preservers put it back once they're done using it. Yes, spellcasters are feared and reviled by the general unwashed masses, but there's always been a place for them in adventuring groups who know the difference.

Wizards had a place in the 2e box set, and you could usually find them in adventuring groups. What was different is that they had ways of hiding their spellcasting in order to avoid mobs.
This. In 2E they had the Somatic Concealment proficiency, now in 4E there's the Bluff skill. (Which has been mentioned in today's Ampersand, DDI sub required.)

I'm personally shocked I haven't seen any "OMFG, teiflings sukc. WTF, tehy have no place in dakr sun!!1" posts yet. :)
What, you haven't seen those yet? Okay, the "Dragonbewbs in Darksun" posts might have been more prominent... :D

Obryn

Hero
What, you haven't seen those yet? Okay, the "Dragonbewbs in Darksun" posts might have been more prominent... :D
Oh, sure, in the speculation threads! This is actual confirmation, though.

I'm of the same opinion as I have been all along - so long as the new races are dark-sun-ified like the 2e races were, I'm great with pretty much anything. (And really, it's easier to remove a race than to add one, if push comes to shove.)

-O

Remove ads