Someone has MM3 at RPG.Net

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Great book. I could have used more original monsters (as in, not converted from previous versions), but a great book. I still want my Peryton......

I also still want a picture for every monster, it's not 100% clear to me what all the variations look like, but maybe in my quick scan I overlooked something.

But, I like the book quite a bit, and recommend it heartily.

Pseudopsyche

First Post
Bare in mind I also mean mechanically. The Bullywugs didn't exactly perform all that successfully to me.
Ah, I see. Yeah, I like the story behind the bullywug more than I like its mechanics. Anyway, the crauds feel very different to me. Instead of a race of dim-witted (Int 6-10) frog-men, crauds are straight-up monsters: Medium beasts (Int 3) that plague coast and sea. The artwork manages not to make them look too much like oversized lobsters, but each type has a different schtick with its giant claws.

Mentat55

First Post
I think a lot of the monsters that Shroomy mentioned from the 1e MM, MM2, and FF may never see the light of day. The tiny fey, for example, seem like they would fall into that category of "creatures that you don't need combat stats for" and so may not be converted. Paraelementals, for example, don't fit the 4e cosmology, and their niche has largely been occupied by the mixed element elementals that are now the norm in 4e. Molds and shrieker fungus definitely fit as hazards or terrain, rather than monsters. I am not saying these monsters don't belong -- just that the designers may see no reason to convert them.

That being said, a lot of cool monsters on that list. The eye of the deep, dragon turtle, invisible stalker, yellow musk creeper, werebear, peryton, and blink dog jumped out at me as monsters that I hadn't thought about for a bit, but then said, "Why haven't we seen these yet?"

Votan

Explorer
While I have no source, I recall hearing the same rumor.
(Something along the lines of "to help FLGSs compete against the likes of 'big name online sellers' who discount far beyond what a FLGS could compete with...")

If so then this is a fine, fine idea.

Rechan

Adventurer
What are the roles/levels of the cloakers, dark ones and su monsters? Also, I presume the scarecrow is low level?

I'm surprised the Tanarukk are in the book without also including the elf/demon hybrids.

Last edited:

Rechan

Adventurer
More info on the Star Spawn and Allandar:

Related to the Nyarlothep (or however you spell it) analogue from among the Star Pact pseudo-pantheon in system (background gives some idea as to the nature of the others - if Allandar's origin is the same as the others). Level 30 solo soldier, with a given size of gargantuan (with a sidebar on how to interpret that - including the possibility of upsizing him to full scale micro-planet - or having the stats as written refer to an avatar). It is "the opener of the way" and has something resembling an agenda (go fig, momma named him well). Power wise he has a large aura of forced movement (gravity, natch), some tentacles for melee, a close burst hit and die (remember, at epic death is just a status effect), and a largish blast of psychic dmg + a humorous status effect (trust me your players will love it). Not really the most powerful opponent you've ever fought, but definitely worthy of an end-of-campaign throw down.

The star spawn in the book are three more for three other entities (I think we're almost up to one for each, but it's been a while since I needed to know much about them so my math could very well be off) - this time around we get Ulban (nasty looking starfish centrauroid dude), Caiphon (actually the most human-like to date, and a very nasty controller/leader type, kinda of weak on his own but man, leaving him alone to wander around the battlefield will hurt like hell) and Nihal (tentacle-snakes with time/space/reality bending stuff), and Mr Opener of the Ways himself.

Dr_Ruminahui

First Post
What are the roles/levels of the cloakers, dark ones and su monsters? Also, I presume the scarecrow is low level?

I'm surprised the Tanarukk are in the book without also including the elf/demon hybrids.

Cloakers
Cloaker Ambusher - Lvl 12 Lurker
Cloaker Lord - Lvl 18 Controller

Dark Ones
Hex Knight - Lvl 4 Soldier
Shadow Bolter - Lvl 5 Artillery
Shadow Speaker - Lvl 6 Controller

Su Monster
Su Sentinel - Lvl 10 Skirmisher
Su Ambusher - Lvl 11 Minion Soldier
Su Alpha - Lvl 12 Brute

Myself, I'm not surprised about having Tanarukk without other demon/humanoid hybrids - it allows DMs to have paragon levelled orks to fight, the concept doesn't really require having other mixes, and allows expansion on the concept in future books. Plus, orks are inherently an "evil" race - so fighting "eviler" orks may be easier to fit into an adventure than corrupted "good" races.

Last edited:

Remove ads