Review of the RPGA Reward "Tomb of Horrors"

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
In all honesty, I'm a little surprised I got one this year so quickly as I hadn't been updating my information - although I do log on to the RPGA/DCI site a bit to get Living FR modules. Perhaps the late update I did last year helped this year!

Cheers!

sfgray

Explorer
Thanks for the thoroughly thorough review of the update, and glad you enjoyed it. One thing to note about the (former) sphere of annihilation trap that a lot of people don't seem to be picking up on (possibly because i should have called it out more clearly in the text):

Creatures outside the mouth can't see you once you climb into it — at which point you're going to be stunned if the mouth hits with its attack. Your chances of surviving are thus less dependent on what you do as on how long your companions stand around why you're not calling back with any details from the other side of the black void. Not to mention that if you haven't tied a handy rope to yourself and left it trailing out the mouth, a compatriot has to try to find you by touch before he can pull you out — only that compatriot (having entered the mouth) is subject to attack and stunning as well.

Some folks in other threads have commented on the absence of instant-death scenarios as a failing of this update (and/or 4e in general). However, i'm of the opinion that having your PC die slowly and helplessly can often be a lot more traumatic…

Phaezen

First Post
Thanks for the thoroughly thorough review of the update, and glad you enjoyed it. One thing to note about the (former) sphere of annihilation trap that a lot of people don't seem to be picking up on (possibly because i should have called it out more clearly in the text):

Creatures outside the mouth can't see you once you climb into it — at which point you're going to be stunned if the mouth hits with its attack. Your chances of surviving are thus less dependent on what you do as on how long your companions stand around why you're not calling back with any details from the other side of the black void. Not to mention that if you haven't tied a handy rope to yourself and left it trailing out the mouth, a compatriot has to try to find you by touch before he can pull you out — only that compatriot (having entered the mouth) is subject to attack and stunning as well.

Some folks in other threads have commented on the absence of instant-death scenarios as a failing of this update (and/or 4e in general). However, i'm of the opinion that having your PC die slowly and helplessly can often be a lot more traumatic…

:confused: :erm: :eek:

That is just evil.
My players are going to hate you for that

I approve :devil:

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
Since we are discussing this. I have a couple of questions before I run it:

In Encounter 7, the trap in the Gold Chest. How many snakes should there be inside? The text just says "a swarm". The picture has 9 snakes, but that appears to be the only clue.

2. What is your view on passive perception? It seems like this dungeon might be no fun if you allow passive perception for everything. I mean, it seems to be ok if the PCs actually have to say "I search the door and see if there's anything strange about it." but if you constantly allow passive perception(especially from across the room), I anticipate that a large portion of the adventure will come down to "You see a bunch of traps all over the room, let me just mark them on the map for you."

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Since we are discussing this. I have a couple of questions before I run it:

In Encounter 7, the trap in the Gold Chest. How many snakes should there be inside? The text just says "a swarm". The picture has 9 snakes, but that appears to be the only clue.
Should be 12 based on xp calculation

2. What is your view on passive perception? It seems like this dungeon might be no fun if you allow passive perception for everything. I mean, it seems to be ok if the PCs actually have to say "I search the door and see if there's anything strange about it." but if you constantly allow passive perception(especially from across the room), I anticipate that a large portion of the adventure will come down to "You see a bunch of traps all over the room, let me just mark them on the map for you."
Run it Old Skool, they only get passive perception if they say that in moving they are doing it carefully or cautiously :devil:

Prism

Explorer

This is how I'd do it - Passive perception helps you notice clues and imminent danger as per the PHB. I wouldn't say traps fall into this category as such unless you wanted to provide a clue. Perception can also be used to detect secret doors, find traps, follow tracks, listen for sounds and locate hidden objects. It takes up to 1 minute to search each adjacent square. So if the party wanted to I'd allow them to move slowly and search every square. Otherwise I wouldn't allow a passive perception to notice any traps or secrets doors.

So, does the DM have a stack of pregens ready for the players, or do you spend the first session having the players make at least a half-dozen characters to pull from?

Remove ads