non-4e D&D Players . . .

fjw70

Adventurer
I appreciate the responses and (for the most part) civil tone of the respondants.

I could challangea few things said but that isn't the purpose of this thread.

Thanks again fr the reponses.

Elf Witch

First Post
No I won't be picking it up. There are several reasons a big one is money. I have a limited budget and I have not liked anything about 4E so I don't want to take a chance of wasting my money on anything that is close to 4E.

I still play and enjoy 3.5 and Pathfinder and would rather spend my money on products that support the game system that I enjoy.

I am moving into a smaller place and I just don't have the room anymore for gaming products that I don't play. So I have to be selective about what goes on my gaming shelves.

Chainsaw

Banned
Banned
. . . will the new Essentials products get you to try (or retry) 4e?

Nope.. After playing about 100 hours of 4E with multiple DM's and players, in RPGA and a home campaign setting, I can safely say that it just doesn't feel like D&D to me. I went back to O/AD&D and am having the most fun since high school. If 4E/Esssentials works for someone else, that's great.

redboxrazor

First Post
No.

I'm fed up with what I feel is a marketing ploy of "This is not 4.5", while recent news seems to be indicating this IS a new edition.

But mostly, I just... never enjoyed the original 4e.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Non-4e D&D Players...will the new Essentials products get you to try (or retry) 4e?

No, the Essentials products will not change my mind.

Adding nostalgia names and callbacks aren't going to change the basic gameplay...

This is one of the reasons for me, a secondary reason. 4E doesn't work for me because of the mechanical chasis of the system. Adding in some class features that are throwbacks to earlier editions, doesn't change the underlying game system. I still think there are some parts of 4E that are sheer genius...and I've shamelessly stolen them for my houserules...but the system skeleton that works for me is 3E, and only 3E.

However, that doesn't mean that I will never play a 4E game...

Historically, I don't think gamers as a whole sit tight on whatever they're playing. We are, largely, people who like to... fiddle with stuff. If the buy-in isn't huge (say, to start with, one book) I would expect there to be any number of folks who will pick it up just to see what the noise is about.

Umbran is 100% right. And a year and a half ago, this would have been me. I have the the three core books, am interested in getting DMGII, and possibly would have gotten some of these Essential books just to play around with and steal parts I like (along with probably having a DDI sub). If I have the opportunity to play in a game with friends, that happens to be 4E, I'll play...but because of the friends, not 4E.

But even though I'm interested, I will not buy a product from WotC until they resume sale of older edition products in some kind of electronic format...period. They can change all the marketing they want, add in nostalgia features to their system, or even revert wholesale back to the 3E mechanics, and I still won't buy in to any WotC products until the older edition materials return. The day those products are available again, will be the day I immediately get a DDI sub, and once-again start buying 4E products that pique my interest, including the Essentials products.

However, their willingness to try and woo back some fans that didn't initially cotton to 4E, leaves me with optimism they'll be willing to bring back those products for the same reason.

Here's to Hoping...:cool:

Agamon

Adventurer
No. I personally don't mind 4e, but I have a couple players that don't like it. We tried a different game (HMB), and couple different players didn't like that. It seems Pathfinder is the only thing they can agree on, which is funny, cause that's the only thing I didn't want to do, but I'm the only one that figures "a game is just a game, let's just freakin' play something," so I'm the one that acquiesced.

Essentials in no way will change the minds of the naysayers. In fact, I'm hoping they don't even find out about it, or I'll have to hear (regardless of how true it is), "See! I told you there was going to be a 4.5e!!" :hmm:

Argyle King

Legend
I'm not entirely sure how to answer this question.

Firstly, I do play D&D 4E; however, since 4E, D&D is no longer my main rpg. Also, I haven't spent money on anything D&D 4E since I think sometime around Manual of The Planes - this includes books, minis, DDi, cards; etc. Contrary to many other people, I actually enjoy the Points of Light concept and a lot of the new cosmology; however, I generally don't enjoy the mechanics of D&D 4E from the player side of the table. I don't feel that much of the PoL concept is actually supported by the manner in which the mechanics of D&D 4E are constructed. So, will Essentials get me to give D&D 4E more of a look? Yes and no; see below...

On one hand I want to say yes because I like some of the proposed ideas, and I seem to agree a little more with the gaming ideals of the core people working on Essentials than I do/did with the people who were the core team behind D&D 4E. However, I do have some concerns about mixing current 4E with 4EE. I think I'd be more inclined to play an Essentials only game. Though, this two holds some barriers for me; Essentials will have to work really hard to re-establish my faith in the WoTC product, and, even then, it will have to compete with a system I've come to love since venturing away from D&D 4E - GURPS 4E. I actually have to give kudos to WoTC for helping me find SJG products because I probably would have never tried anything other than D&D had I not grown discontent with D&D 4E.

I suppose the more accurate answer to give - from my point of view - is that Essentials will not entice me to look at D&D 4E. I say this because I view Essentials and the direction of post Essentials products to be different enough from D&D 4E to be considered a different product - even if the two are compatible. I'm interested in taking a look at and playing Essentials; I'm just not sure if I'll be interested in buying Essentials. Overall, WoTC seems to enjoy playing a different style of game than I generally prefer.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
...Essentials in no way will change the minds of the naysayers. In fact, I'm hoping they don't even find out about it, or I'll have to hear (regardless of how true it is), "See! I told you there was going to be a 4.5e!!" :hmm:

LOL! I hear ya, and you're probably right!

Honestly, I think this is 4.5E...but not in the same way as 3.5E compared to 3E. I think it's more like the way 3.5E was supposed to be, in comparison to 3E. Basically just 3E reprinted with all of the acumulated errata, and some cool extra bennies added in to make it worth picking up. It's unfortunate about the stigma attached to 3.5E. Otherwise, WotC possibly could have openly called this 4.5E and not had a problem.:erm:

I think they did their homework on that one and made sure not to make the same mistake.

But anyways, I don't think this is a new edition at all. I think the Essentials stuff is some wonderful additions to the system, and brilliant marketing. I wouldn't call it 4.5E...I'd call it 4E Plus! :cool:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases