non-4e D&D Players . . .

juboke

Explorer
Yes.

I don’t believe it will replace our edition of choice (which is AD&D) but I would be willing to give it another shot.

I will purchase the new “Red Box” and give it a go. And if my group still doesn’t enjoy playing it at the very least I have a new box set for the collection.

Jasperak

Adventurer
Happy Trails to you...

No.

However, if they had released this instead of 4e, I might have played it then.

For me the road has forked and I picked the pathfinder one. I'm enjoying it immensely.

4e remains too large a departure from what I consider D&D. If I want to play a "different" game, I'll pick up something totally, totally different (and have been) such as Paranoia, Chill, Call of Cthulhu, etc.

I agree with this. The previews make it seem like the power structure is not as pronounced as it was 4e. There are alot of things that I like about 4e, but the power structure and its gamist limitations turned me off to the point I would never buy it and never play it except as a one-off.

I haven't taken an in-depth look at the previews (only cursory glances) because quite frankly I don't care about being on the gaming railroad anymore. I got off the train during the last releases of 3.5e; got back on for a stop or two for 4e and got back off. I realized that I would rather drive my beat-up old 0lde.

But that isn't to say I wouldn't be interested in 4ee; if it changed enough to make the ride more like 0/B/1/2e. But I highly doubt it could, and I would prefer it if it didn't. Too many people that are happy with the game wouldn't have anyone to create new material for them like I have. I wish them well and when the final itinerary comes out I'll take a look at it and see if it is a ride I want to take. But until then--Happy trails to all gamers. :) Until we meet again (maybe.)

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
. . . will the new Essentials products get you to try (or retry) 4e?

Nope.

I don't like what 4E is anyway, so even if I liked any of the essentials ideas, I would dislike the rest of it. Even if there were to be some things that interested me with Essentials, frankly, as a completist, too much 4E is out for me to ever catch up, so I'll just wait to check out D&D again with 5e, should it ever materialize.

Last edited:

Jasperak

Adventurer
I'm a little surprised by the unanimity of our collective no's.

I'm not. It looks like those that still play 4e have no real business in this thread. And I applaud their collective restraint. It may just be me, but my cursory glances at the previews aren't showing me enough to challenge my view that 4e or 4ee is not for me.

I do wish that some would grind their axe a little less though. I can sense a disturbance in the force, and it is telling me that some out there that have so far made their will saves, may not be able to keep it up for much longer. :)

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer

No. It's to far away from what I consider to be D&D. After 8 years of being a WOTC customer (And supporting TSR since 1984 before that) supporting the product line right up until 4E I think that I'm done supporting "official" D&D.

4E is not a bad game. I actually think it's a pretty decently designed game and I get where they were trying to go. I just dont want to go there with them.

Pathfinder is my D&D of choice.

Zil

Explorer

No. Despite the attempt to capture some of the flavour of earlier versions of the game it's not enough to get me interested in playing WoTC 4E.

My gaming group tried 4E for a bit and decided that it just wasn't what we wanted for a D&D game. Elements doesn't look like it's going to change things enough for us to seriously reconsider 4E. Besides, we've discovered Pathfinder and have been enjoying that immensely.

All that said, this is probably the first time in a long while that I've actually given any attention at all to an upcoming WoTC product . At the very least they were successful at getting this lapsed player to give them a little attention.

Last edited:

coyote6

Adventurer
I'm a little surprised by the unanimity of our collective no's.

I would totally be down to try it, but money is tight now (see status), and there are other games I'd like to talk people into trying more than 4e (SW, Dresden Files, etc.) that I already own.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
I'm open to it. I'm likely to buy the stuff, but I'm leaning less towards it than I was when 4e just came out. It never clicked with me, many of the common complaints fit with my take, and it looks like WotC is targeting exactly that and I applaud them for the effort.

The biggest reason I'm less trigger happy nowadays is the bad word of mouth the published 4e adventures have been getting. I don't have the time to invent my own adventures hardly at all and I pull from the stables of published adventures. Having lost printed Dungeon magazine is another tiny step back for me in making the jump for Essentials. I'm more likely to wait for word of the quality of new 4e adventures before I acquire any more 4e products.

Last edited:

Remove ads