Trailblazer in a Nutshell?

redboxrazor

First Post
Ive heard a lot of talk about Trailblazer recently. As a Pathfinder player, this has me intrigued, but I haven't been able to find a lot of information on it. I don't want to buy something without knowing the gist of it, so I'm asking for anyone with Trailblazer knowledge to please fill me in on what you know. What are the fundamental differences between 3.5 and TB, or Pathfinder and TB, for that matter? What are your gripes with it, and what about it feels "right" or "better" than 3.5 or Pathfinder?

Is TB an evolution of 3.5, as PF is, or did it do something different?

Last edited by a moderator:

redboxrazor

First Post
For some reason, every post I make from my iPhone (using Forum Runner) is labeled as humor. There is no option for ke to changethis like there is when I simply post to the site from my PC. If a mod could please change this from "humor" to "generic" in this instance, I'd be grateful as I don't have access to my PC at the moment.

IronWolf

blank
Trailblazer is put out by Bad Axe Games. Check out their site here for a quick overview of it:

Bad Axe Games

And they also have forum here as well where they are quite helpful:

Bad Axe Games Hosted Forum - EN World D&D / RPG News

I've read through the rules and was trying to decide between going the Trailblazer route or the Pathfinder route when I was looking to move up from 3.5. I ended up going Pathfinder, but the Trailblazer PDF was still well worth the purchase even though I have decided not to incorporate things from it yet.

Uder

First Post

Similar but different. Here is a list of changes, but in IMO the real winner in the book is a section that takes apart the assumptions behind the d20 class and monster system and looks at the math involved across all levels. The info is great if you like to tinker with d20 games.

GlassJaw

Hero

It's most certainly an evolution of 3.5 but we went further with changes than PF did - mostly because we weren't as concerned with backwards compatibility.

We followed some specific design philosophies when creating Trailblazer, and it's a direct descendant of our home game: fast-paced, beer-and-preztels, kick-in-the door, kill the monsters and take their stuff style.

Some of the biggest changes:

Class rebalance - we brought the biggest offenders down in power and the rest up.

Unified casting progression - multiclassed spellcaster are now very viable.

Rest mechanic - no more 15-minute adventuring day.

Action Points - we made them integral to the system and they provide a a powerful resource that needs to be managed. They are also indirectly related to toning down Save-or-Die/Suck effects.

Combat Reactions - a new system that allows PCs to take actions out of turn, including attacks of opportunity and aid another.

TONS of rules tweaks and clarifications - no system was left untouched!

Here's a list of changes:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/bad-axe-games-hosted-forum/287318-trailblazer-list-changes.html

Best of all - it's only 5 bucks! :D

Last edited:

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
To add to what Glassjaw said, it also is presented in a toolbox manner - any given set of changes can be pulled out of the whole and used in place of its counterpart in 3.5 - you can use JUST the classes or JUST the combat changes, etc. One of the really cool bits that follow along with this is that Wulf "shows his work"; he explains why he made certain changes with copius designer comments. If you like puttering with the 3.5 system, Trailblazer is really worthwhile just to read those comments.

Mod Comment: I've fixed the tag.

IronWolf

blank
... but in IMO the real winner in the book is a section that takes apart the assumptions behind the d20 class and monster system and looks at the math involved across all levels. The info is great if you like to tinker with d20 games.

If you like puttering with the 3.5 system, Trailblazer is really worthwhile just to read those comments.

I'll just add that even if you aren't a tinkerer with the system but just sort of want to see some of the assumptions behind the d20 system the PDF is worth it. I don't tinker much, but enjoyed the PDF. Well worth the price and I have not introduced any Trailblazer bits into my Pathfinder game.

GlassJaw

Hero
Agamon - Thanks! Hope you enjoy it. It's also in print through Amazon print-on-demand:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Trailblazer-New-Horizons-3-5-Roleplaying/dp/1449503608/]Amazon.com: Trailblazer: New Horizons in 3.5 Roleplaying (9781449503604): Benjamin Durbin, Ellen Durbin, Brad Kelley…[/ame]

Remove ads