Gamma World Box Set Sneak Peak on I09.com

Festivus

First Post
Well, I read about this at rpg.net

I think random booster packs are a stupid idea for an rpg. I didn't like it when the topic came up pre-4e D&D. I did not even like it for the minis And, that, WOTC is implementing random booster card packs with Gamma World and the designers are supposedly thinking of recommending it forD&D 5e, that's it.

I had been seriously giving 4e another look with the talk of the rules cyclopedia, the monster vault, and knowledge that 4e core books will be in print.

Forget it.

I am done with WOTC.

I don't understand your rationale.

Something WoTC is producing that is random and optional for a game product WotC produces comes out, and that's what drives your decision not to purchase any 4E products? This isn't even D&D, and has nothing to do with the 4E products you had your eye on. Is it that you fear that if it works well with Gamma World that they will implement it for D&D and make it mandatory to purchase them to play the game?

I am no fan of random cards in a RPG either, but if it's something that is totally optional I could see where some folks would have fun with something like that, particularly if it's something akin to what Twitter buffs are in Encounters, where it affects gameplay for everyone.

The day the make random cards required to play D&D is the day I stop playing it, because I have been down the hell hole known as Magic: The Gathering where one buys packs and cases in the hopes of getting those chase rares.

Dr. Confoundo

First Post
I have no experience at all with Gamma World. How does/did it differ from being the D&D rules in a different setting?

I'm pretty confused on how the cards are intended to be used because I am not familiar with how the game is meant to be played.

Since everyone else is bickering about how Gamma World is/isn't a CCG, I'll take a shot at your questions.

Gamma World is an RPG set in a post-apocalyptic future, complete with mutants, robots, and psychic powers. Think Mad Max/Fallout/Thundar the Barbarian, but with much more weirdness. You and your buddies wander the wastelands, fighting hordes of mutant rabbit people and giant war chickens, looking for artifacts left by the Ancients. It will use the basic 4E mechanics, but with some modifications.

One of the aspects of the original game that many people have a fondness for was the random character generation - with a few rolls on the random mutation chart, you could have massive psionic or physical powers, or be a totally useless basket-case.

From what the designers have said, the cards are supposed to replace those mutation charts... every day (or whenever the GM wants), the players will draw from the deck, and that's their mutation for the day. One session they could draw a powerful attack, and the next session they might get stuck with having Floppy Feet or Saggy Skin - powers that might have a very minor effect on combat.

By making the mutant powers cards rather than charts, it allows you to modify the list of available powers far more easily. Don't like a specific power? Chuck it. WotC puts out an expansion with 50 new cards? Shuffle them right in.

Korgoth

First Post
Some of the complaints sound a bit like "How dare they make products that I want to buy!" That's their job, actually... to make products that draw in lots of money.

Now, I can imagine a scenario where you basically have to buy random boosters just to get an enjoyable role playing game. I predict abject failure for that business model. I don't think it will fly.

I didn't think that Warhammer 3e's model of "the box supports a Ref + 3 players and you have to buy an Adventurer's Vault to add in another player" would be sustainable and it wasn't. Now they're moving to having the game published in hardcover books. It sucks for the early adopters but there's always a risk in buying something before you see what the market does with it.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Now, I can imagine a scenario where you basically have to buy random boosters just to get an enjoyable role playing game. I predict abject failure for that business model. I don't think it will fly.
Fortunately, the impression I have so far of the business model for Gamma World is "there is a deck of random mutations in the boxed set which will be fine for most people, but if you play Gamma World a lot, and you want some more variety, then you might want to buy some of these packs of random mutation cards".

I think that's more likely to fly ;)

Since everyone else is bickering about how Gamma World is/isn't a CCG, I'll take a shot at your questions.

Gamma World is an RPG set in a post-apocalyptic future, complete with mutants, robots, and psychic powers. Think Mad Max/Fallout/Thundar the Barbarian, but with much more weirdness. You and your buddies wander the wastelands, fighting hordes of mutant rabbit people and giant war chickens, looking for artifacts left by the Ancients. It will use the basic 4E mechanics, but with some modifications.

One of the aspects of the original game that many people have a fondness for was the random character generation - with a few rolls on the random mutation chart, you could have massive psionic or physical powers, or be a totally useless basket-case.

From what the designers have said, the cards are supposed to replace those mutation charts... every day (or whenever the GM wants), the players will draw from the deck, and that's their mutation for the day. One session they could draw a powerful attack, and the next session they might get stuck with having Floppy Feet or Saggy Skin - powers that might have a very minor effect on combat.

By making the mutant powers cards rather than charts, it allows you to modify the list of available powers far more easily. Don't like a specific power? Chuck it. WotC puts out an expansion with 50 new cards? Shuffle them right in.

What I am unclear on is this; does each player have a "separate" deck they draw power cards from or is there only one deck at the table?

dm4hire

Explorer
I believe they form a seperate deck from the main deck provided. The boosters are then added to that deck. So the initial 50 card deck would support five players with 10 card decks.

Dr. Confoundo

First Post
What I am unclear on is this; does each player have a "separate" deck they draw power cards from or is there only one deck at the table?

I'm not sure that this has been fully explained, or they may have alternate rules included. There may be a GM deck, with more junk powers, and then players are also allowed to have their own decks to use as well; or, everyone can draw from a central deck.

Can someone please repost the pictures here or on another link? for some reason, no computer on my home network can see the pictures, nor will it let us connect to robotviking.com at all.

Reynard

Legend
I am so torn. I don't much like the way 4E plays, but I *love* Gamma World -- so much so, I wrote for Gamma World d20 (don't blame me, I wasn't in a decision making position!). Maybe whatever tweaks WotC gives to the 4E system will produce a great play experience that allows for the same broad range of PA fun previous versions of the game have.

Interestingly, I am not so worried about "major" changes to GW "canon". GW has *ahem* mutated with every edition. It's rules have always been weird offshoots of the D&D rules of the time, and its backstory, such that it is, has been mutable and uncertain since day one. A new Gamma World doesn't need to be "as GW" and I feel a new D&D should have been "as DD" because GW is inherently uncertain. All it has to do is allow me to run a game that ranges from fallout to Six String Samurai, with no apologies.

broghammerj

Explorer
Some random thoughts:

1. Cards as powers.....I'm OK with. Random cards not so much. More likely to by an expansion book rather than booster packs.

2. GW strikes me was wacky, campy, etc. I realize the original was like that but not in every edition. Was hoping more for a tool kit type box set. Not sure that is what were seeing here.

3. Having flashbacks to the GW I played in junior high and not the Darwin's World I played in grad school.

4. I see pick up games and not campaigns in this.

5. After reading some of the online/off Enworld sneak peak comments, why is everyone so ga-ga over postermaps? Especially when those are small, aren't particularly artistic, and look pretty limited.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases