Gamma World Box Set Sneak Peak on I09.com

Wicht

Hero
This statement is untrue. Two of the earliest Paizo Item Card packs were packaged in random boosters

While that is true, it is also true that Paizo quickly realized random booster packs were unpopular for things like item cards and switched over to full deck, non-random sets.

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
TO step in:

The reason CCGs and Gamma World are not relatable is because most if not all CCGs - including the quoted Magic the Gathering - are competitive games. There is no DM, it's two (or more) players fighting each other.

In those cases, having more cards to choose from will give you a more powerful deck, which indeed is what you want. But in this case, that's not entirely true. For starters, there is the assumption you're making that newer cards will be more "powerful" then older ones, which we don't for certain know. Secondly, the very idea of making a "stronger" deck won't be a part of the game; there is no strategy involved in Gamma World decks, you just draw a card and welp, that's what you have. Thirdly, as has been mentioned, we don't even know if players will have their own decks in the first place. It may be that players just bring their favorite cards with them, they all get mingled into one big mutations deck, and everyone draws from that. Fourthly, even if all of those were true, it doesn't change the fact that Gamma World isn't competitive. You aren't fighting the other players. What player 1 has in his deck in no way effects your game.

So no, this isn't comparable to MtG. Or Yugioh. Or 7th Sea, or L5R, or etc, etc, etc.

On Puget Sound

First Post
I'll definitely purchase the main boxed game, probably at least one booster to try it out . . . and I'm sure all will be fine even if I don't decide to purchase any additional boosters.

Yeah...<sniff> .....what he <snuffle> said. That's the way I <HONK> dealt with cocaine, too. And I'm gonna quit buying it, any day now. Anyone got a kleenex?

DISCLAIMER: The above post is intended to be funny and not to encourage the use of any illegal drugs, or to imply that the author uses or has used such. Drugs are bad, mmmkay?

Semah G Noj

First Post
Fortunately, the impression I have so far of the business model for Gamma World is "there is a deck of random mutations in the boxed set which will be fine for most people, but if you play Gamma World a lot, and you want some more variety, then you might want to buy some of these packs of random mutation cards".

I think that's more likely to fly ;)

Plus TSR/Wizards have tried to reboot Gamma World a bazillion times and it hasn't taken ever. (I remember wandering by Jeff Easley and Larry Elmore at a Gen Con years ago and they were giggling over TSR's latest attempt at it.) So adding the collectible aspect to this newest attempt both generates buzz and tests out the market for this sort of thing. I'm interested to see how it goes.

Korgoth

First Post
Fortunately, the impression I have so far of the business model for Gamma World is "there is a deck of random mutations in the boxed set which will be fine for most people, but if you play Gamma World a lot, and you want some more variety, then you might want to buy some of these packs of random mutation cards".

I think that's more likely to fly ;)

I agree, and I think it will indeed fly. Like I said, I'm getting it and I'm sure I will pick up a couple of boosters just for grins.

Aw, c'mon, its not as if Gamma World is a core D&D product!

It wasn't even all that popular the first time around and I don't expect it to be this time.

If there is some place for WotC to experiment with a goofy new roleplaying format, this is it!

Geez, some people really read too much into things...

I'm not sure that being fun will be a good enough attractor, especially in this economy.

Fun is the only reason I buy and play games... Life's to short to play games you don't enjoy 100%.

(Which is why I don't play Magic or MMORPGs anymore)

Last edited:

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
While that is true, it is also true that Paizo quickly realized random booster packs were unpopular for things like item cards and switched over to full deck, non-random sets.
Good point. I certainly wouldn't rule out the possibility that WotC sells a set or three of random boosters, and then later offers a compiled deck of all the cards that have been issued up to that point. That way they cater for people who like the random packs and people who don't. Collectors will collect the boosters and buy the compilation deck ;)

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
I´ve been playing Magic Online for months with friends, and i never bought anything beyond the first 10 Dollar buyin. You can just play Momir or Planeswalker. Planeswalker cannot really be added on with new cards, and Momir just needs lands, nothing else (and, of course, one Momir card).

Maybe there is some pressure from your friends to expand your deck, but the concept that you HAVE to buy collectible cards to buy Magic and enjoy it is simply not true. And i´ll never buy more cards. I have enough hobbies.

And i SINCERELY hope there will come a time when we talk about the game and not about the card addon.

Well, I read about this at rpg.net

I think random booster packs are a stupid idea for an rpg. I didn't like it when the topic came up pre-4e D&D. I did not even like it for the minis And, that, WOTC is implementing random booster card packs with Gamma World and the designers are supposedly thinking of recommending it forD&D 5e, that's it.

I had been seriously giving 4e another look with the talk of the rules cyclopedia, the monster vault, and knowledge that 4e core books will be in print.

Forget it.

I am done with WOTC.
You sound like these (fictional) guys. That's not something to be proud of.

Also, "the designers are supposedly thinking of recommending it forD&D [sic] 5e,"? In other words, you read/heard someone saying this, and you actually believed them, despite how completely ridiculous it sounds? In that case, you'll probably want to know that Santa Claus is supposedly thinking of inviting all the world leaders to stay with him in his palace on the moon for December 2012. :hmm:

Greg K

Legend
You sound like these (fictional) guys. That's not something to be proud of.

Since, I can't say what I want to without getting a suspension, I won't you are not worth the time.

However If you want to support them the introduction of the collectable element go ahead.

Also, "the designers are supposedly thinking of recommending it forD&D [sic] 5e,"? In other words, you read/heard someone saying this, and you actually believed them despite how completely ridiculous it sounds?
Since there was discussion on these boards prior to 4e about introducing such a concept by WOTC designers, no it is not ridiculous.

In that case, you'll probably want to know that Santa Claus is supposedly thinking of inviting all the world leaders to stay with him in his palace on the moon for December 2012. :hmm:

Again, you are not worth me gettin a ban,but you can gocrawl back under your rock!

Mod Edit: Folks, any time you feel like telling another user they should crawl under a rock, you shoul walk away from the keyboard. Really. If you can't discuss things like a polite person, don't discuss it at all.

Mr. K here will not be joining you for the rest of this conversation. Don't follow his example.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads