Anyone got any good ideas for a Song of Ice and Fire Campaign?

Donp

First Post
I'm thinking of starting a Song of Ice and Fire Campaign soon using Green Ronin's system. Any good ideas for a campaign? Setting, timeframe, story, and such like.

Pain Noodle

First Post
Back when I first purchased the book I had this same problem. Actually, to be more accurate, I'm still having this problem... Absolutely love the system, have used it for homebrew but as for actual SoIaF story ... no. I, too, would be interested in hearing any ideas.

My first campaign, I had the players start before Robert's Rebellion and had them navigate their way to the top.

The angle I took was that the players were a family of serfs somewhere in the Stormlands. The first couple of sessions focused on travelling with a the hunting party of Lord Lomouth were the party met Rheager, Arthur Dayne and Richard Lonmouth. In the final session of that hunting trip the party foiled an assasination on Lord Lonmouth. I had been building up the clues and confusing disjointed banter since session one.

In return Rheager urged his father to give a small piece of land to the PC most interested in becoming a knight.

It went from there as a minor landed family they tracked bandits stealing their horses, brought to justice a rapist in their main serf village and other affairs of state.

From here one of the players decided to go to Oldtown and become a man of faith while the others were swallowed up in a minor war between the Stormlords and the Westerlands.

Honouring themselves on the field of battle they were granted the lands of Lord Westerling whose whole line they had slain. Two decided to swear fealty to House Lannister but keeping close friends in the Stormlands.

Those two players stayed in the Westerlands to manage their new lands while the other two went back to their hall in the Stormlands creating a separate line with in a once unified house.

I kept them occupied with a tourney, some more bandits and a usurper plot by a lesser known branch of the Westerlings until their old characters were retired and they started anew with the next generation of their house.

That's when Roberts Rebellion started and I just followed the storyline from the books (with modifications) letting the players choose their sides and navigate their way through the war.

It worked pretty well. Next I think I'll try a campaign where the players are apart of a lesser branch of the ruined house in exile somewhere in the woods of the Riverlands, protecting the small folk from a tyrant Tully.

Or perhaps a group of hedge knights and their entourage, travelling the tourney circuit and dealing with the intrigue a tourney tends to brew.

Last edited:

LurkMonkey

First Post
I would think as more of an open style of campaign, having the PCs start as members of the Night Watch and scouting beyond the Wall into the wildling lands would be pretty cool.

nnms

First Post
Let the noble house creation rules generate your situation and go from there.

Take the time to generate four or five noble houses as Narrator houses. Tease all the characters out of them.

I made a house two nights ago by myself and ended up with next to no Influence and tons of Power. So I got a banner house for the main house. But didn't have enough Influence to purchase any sons. So the main house has no heir, but the banner house has a son.

I simply decided that the current lord didn't like the idea of his house being joined and taken over by his bannerman. So he looks for another heir-- someone to marry his daughter.

The banner house sees this as their opportunity to ascend. They're not going to take kindly to any suitor for the Lord's daughter.

And that just came out of one house creation. Imagine if you make 3 or 4 and ask "what do these people want from one another?"

Then the PCs will start with their own house creation session. When that's done, look back at all the goals and desires of all the houses and narrator characters you made. Ask yourself "how can the Player's noble house solve their problems or be useful in their ends?"

Remove ads