Fortune Cards: and randomized collectible cards come to D&D

catsclaw227

First Post
Wow. People actually sit around while playing a session and constantly check for twitter feeds?

No, I am pretty sure that is not the intended effect. And I don't know if anyone that is doing this. The twitter feeds come out all the time, and they are mostly duplicated. In the encounters game I am playing, the DM prints out a few in advance and randomly gives them to players.

Is the content of the game session generated by those who are actually playing so boring that people have to tune in and out to check twitter?

Come on now.... You know better than that. You've been around gaming and D&D longer than that.

I suppose it's a good thing I haven't checked out encounters then. What does it say about your game when you design content for it delivered exclusively through a medium utilized by those who are obviously already bored enough with it to tweet during play.
The tweets are a nifty way to utilize a pop culture device to add to the game. What is wrong with that? Social networking is here now and it's a great way to have "wired" players feel involved. Sheesh, should we break out the stone knives and bear skins because that's what worked for us back in the stone age? Don't get me wrong, I am not sure if this kind of outreach here to stay in it's present form, but that's another non D&D related topic. For now, WoTC is using the full resources of the internet to help their product. It is happening in auto sales, health and wellness, office management and many other industries. Why should TTRPGs be relegated to the 1970's?

LostSoul

Adventurer
First of all, I'd need to see exactly what these things are before passing judgement.

If they are random table generators, no problem. I'd pay money for a book of random tables, and I'd do the same if the table is presented in card format.

I don't understand how randomness in the product helps, though.

I hope it doesn't add to character effectiveness or resources.

What I hope they are -

A "coded" deck of cards that changes the encounter. You pull one every round or so. The codes are things like "Dungeon", "Wilderness", "Feywild", etc.

A fog moves over the battlefield. Another random encounter is generated. An angel comes to watch the battle. The magical energy being flung around causes the plant life to animate.

We'll see how they work. Only then will I be able to make a decision.

Reynard

Legend
Of course, we could go back to trading black-and-white print rulebooks with photocopied paper counters. That's better for everyone, right?

The only thing "wrong" with this form of distribution is that no one is getting rich off it, which probably makes for better games anyway.

Hussar

Legend
Wow. People actually sit around while playing a session and constantly check for twitter feeds?

Is the content of the game session generated by those who are actually playing so boring that people have to tune in and out to check twitter?

I suppose it's a good thing I haven't checked out encounters then. What does it say about your game when you design content for it delivered exclusively through a medium utilized by those who are obviously already bored enough with it to tweet during play.

Kind of sad really.

No one ever checks their email or cell phone during your sessions? No one ever takes a smoke break? You do nothing but deeply immersive gaming hour after hour with everyone equally engaged every minute of the time?

No, didn't think so.

Someone taking 15 seconds out of the game to look at a twitter feed on their Iphone is not in any way a commentary on the quality of the DM.

The only thing "wrong" with this form of distribution is that no one is getting rich off it, which probably makes for better games anyway.

Meh, speak for yourself. I LIKE having pretty rpg books. One of the best things, IMO, of the past ten or so years in RPG's is the massive increase in production quality.

Now if they'd just start writing decent indexes and hiring proof readers, we'd be in heaven.

Reynard

Legend
Meh, speak for yourself. I LIKE having pretty rpg books. One of the best things, IMO, of the past ten or so years in RPG's is the massive increase in production quality.

I like "pretty" too. I just think that those that produce the best RPG materials are those that love them, not those motivated by corporate level profits. This can happen within any company and at any level, of course. Just because you are CEO doesn't mean you don't love gaming, and just because you're a freelancer doesn't mean you have even played, let alone love, the game you are working on.

But, chances are, if someone put a game together on their own time, with their own resources, they love that game and it'll show in the material, whether or not it's "pretty".

Jor-El

First Post
I think they're fooling themselves if they think people are going to buy a couple of random boosters of these cards, and then NOT open them until they're sitting around the table ready to play.

Most are going to open these immediately to see what they got!

Except those of us that won't buy randomized, collectible accessories. ;)

Sell these as a full collection, non-randomized...sure, I'd bite. They sound fun. Just like the Paizo Game Mastery decks for critical hits, fumbles, and plot twists. I don't like the "meta-game" of "gotta catch 'em all".

Scribble

First Post
I don't mind that they exist as an ancillary part of the game. I don't get the appeal, but I also don't get the appeal of tactical grid-based combat, so whatever.

To each their own man. I doubt they'll ever be such a part of my game that I'll feel the "need" to have a certain card that I need to keep collecting to get.

For me, it's just a fun what WILL I get this time? thing.

It's like when I first opened the monster manual and read about the wondrous monsters... What will the next one do?

That's why it doesn't bug me thast they're random... I don't NEED them to be un random, it's the randomness of them that appeals to me.

(Unlike the randomness of the minis that DIDN'T appeal to me, because I actually needed specific monsters.)

They feel like they are predatory and exploitive products, similar to gambling. They scratch a psychological itch in the human makeup that takes a repugnant person to attempt to profit from.

A tad melodramatic don't you think?

(I'm just unhappy they don't contain a stick of stale bubblegum.)

It's kind of interesting- to people who aren't a part of the social media thing (mostly older generations) tweeting and texting while in the company of others is seen as rude, and beinf exclusive... Whereas studies have shown that to those that are involved, the feeling is more of an inclusive one.. IE- We're all sitting around playing D&D together, not just with the group at our table.

If it's not your thing- that's cool- but don't assume someone is bored just because they're tweeting or texting. They might be super excited and just sharing that excitement with others that can't be there.

I dunno - I just honestly don't get it. I don't know why you'd sell randomized boosters of something that's purportedly not collectible, and I don't see the benefit to a collectible deck for D&D, as opposed to a static one. I don't understand why I'd want several random assortments, why I'd need a lot of cards, or anything of that nature. I'm happy to give WotC my money for great products, but I want to get some benefit from these idiosyncratic business decisions, too.

Well yeah- I mean part of it is obviously to make money. That's what companies do. :p

But it's also because it's not a major part of the game, and not designed to coordinate with specific effects. It seems to be designed as just a fun add on, so they're randomized to create the effect I talked about to Kamikaze. Excitement of the unknown.

I think the target market is people like me. :p Impulsive. If I'm at the store buying stuff, I'll probably toss in a pack or two- just for fun. I'll pull them out at the table in the same fashion. Randomly just to add a little bit of fun.

It's kind of like just tossing a few chips down on random numbers on the roulette table.

Some people like that- others like to play more controlled games.

jbear

First Post
Sorry Scribble but it won't let me XP you until I spread more XP around.

Stick of Stale Bubble gum! Thanks for the laugh and the wave of nostalgia!!!!

Scribble

First Post
Sorry Scribble but it won't let me XP you until I spread more XP around.

Stick of Stale Bubble gum! Thanks for the laugh and the wave of nostalgia!!!!

I can still remember that bubble gum smell those cards always picked up. :D

Hey here's a thought that will probably get people all hoppin mad-

In essentials they're introducing an optional rule for magic items that sorts them into: Common, Uncommon, and Rare... And gives DMs a way to randomly generate magic item treasure finds...

So... Can we see in the future:

"Generating a treasure hoard has never been easier! All the DM has to do is open a pack of magic item cards and draw forth the result!"

OH NOEEEEESSSSS! :p

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases