A Centaur PC

DM Howard

Explorer
I'm trying to wrap my head around how I'd go about making a Centaur PC for Pathfinder. Not really sure how to go about it, I looked at the section in the back about making monster races PCs but it confuses me a little. Any help would be great.

Azmyth

First Post
Either you are joining a higher level group (assuming you start @ 1st).
Or your GM is prepared for a very high fantasy (and power curve) game.

Centaurs are a CR3 critter @ 4HD.
They are Large but able to use Medium sized gear.
Speed 50'
They have average to high stats but nothing ridiculous.
(15,14,15,11,14,12)
Improved Initiative & Run feats.
Diplomacy, Intimidate, Knowledge (Nature), Perception and Survival skills.

It is presumed by the Bestiary build that all Centaurs are sword & spear fighters, but if your GM is allowing the race to be played, perhaps changing the theme and feats might make more sense for your concept?

DM Howard

Explorer
Well, actually, I would be the DM, and I wouldn't be playing a character, I am just trying to figure out how to make them playable because they are one of my favorite races.

Aus_Snow

First Post
So you've read Appendix 4 of the PF Bestiary then. Hm. May as well link it here as well, just so everyone(?) is on board, at least.

What parts are not making sense to you?

DM Howard

Explorer
I suppose what I'm confused about is how to actually make the Centaur PC. What bonuses do I use? What abilities does he get/keep? Do I simply take that monster template and start adding levels of whatever class I want on him?

Also, in regards to leveling the Monster PC again every three levels does that mean 1-4 then from 4-5 I level him and then at 5 again? I guess that's the part that it really taking me for a ride.

frankthedm

First Post
+4 Str, +4 Dex, +4 con, +4 wis, +2 charisma is a fairly damn strong stat line.

Note that Pathfinder centaurs don't get the ability to be treated as 'mounted' when charging with a lance as they did in 3.5.

Improved Initiative & Run feats.
Diplomacy, Intimidate, Knowledge (Nature), Perception and Survival skills
How certain are you the character has to take those specific feats? I'm not well read on pathfinder to know if those feats in monster entries are required or just default assumptions like in 3E.

Drathir

First Post
First the party needs to be Level 3, the centaurs Cr. Second as frankthedm pointed out they get +4 str con dex and wis with a +2 cha. After that they play just like a lvl 3 PC, however since racial hd are weak (yes you need to take those 4 racial hd but they count as ur lvl 1-3 class lvls) Paizo suggests giving the monster a small boost as they level, ie an extra free class level, for a centaur the suggested extra levels is 1. this level is gained free without penalty at some point between Character Level 5 and 6 (note that the centaur still counts as a level 5 until he/she gains 6th at which point its a lvl 6 character) so lets look at the numbers with out all the text

"Lvl 3" PC Centaur: the centaur from the bestiary (with modified stats if you're nice enough to let them roll/buy more than 10s and 11s)

"Lvl 4": Centaur +1 class level (I think he/she would gain their lvl 4 bonus stat here, but that part isnt too clear, the core says when "Character Level" is four u get the bonus and since the Centaur now counts as a lvl 4 PC... well your call on when these bonuses and the like happen)

"Lvl 5": Centaur +2 class lvls (and lvl 5 feat, if lvl 4 is right)
"lvl 5.5": gains a third class lvl and nething that would entail on the class chart NOTHING ELSE

"lvl 6": Gains another level and is forever more a normal 6th lvl PC

So in the end at Level 6 the Centaur has 4 racial hd from base monster and 4 class levels (lvl 4, 5, bonus and lvl 6 in that order) and is a 6th level PC.

Now the whole 2 feats thing (improved init and run) its up to you whether they have to keep them, they both have uses (especially with a 50' spd) and that is what all other centaurs usually have BUT Pcs aren't normal a Pc Aasimar doesn't need to be NG but should have a reason as to why he/she isn't so the same thing could easily be said of the feats. Treat Centaur as more of a template and they get the two feats as is treat it as a race and they should be allowed to choose which two to take ur decision.

Ill admit im not the authority on this sort of things and my interpretation may be wrong but thats how i understand it.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
it sounds a lot like a default to me. Personally i might trade improved inititive for improved natral attack or improved natral armor.

Tovec

Explorer
I know your question is answered but as far as other monster-PCs

As far as getting stats from most monsters to PC conversion keep in mind that the base line they use in creation is 11 and 10 so subtract those and there are your mods, they are always going to be even, never odd.
Example, racial says something like this..
13, 15, 11, 18, 15, 6
Then the racials would be:
+2, +4, +0, +8, +4, -4
Also, more often then not the racial bonuses are exactly the same as their 3.5 counterparts. Or at least pretty close/close enough, if in doubt.

Obviously pathfinder rules for advancing and CR being the former level adjustments are in addition to this.

Remove ads