A Centaur PC

CWBush

First Post
I'd be interested to hear how your player's centaur PC goes. I've had one in the past (way back when I first started DMing in 2nd Ed) and I've just allowed a player to introduce a heavily dumbed down Satyr into the party. Should prove interesting.

The_Gneech

Explorer
I know this doesn't directly answer your question, but as a GM my general policy is to make a "PC-level" version of a weirdie critter and let the player play that, instead of trying to directly use the Bestiary version.

So for a centaur, I might go with:

Abilities Centaurs gain +2 Str and have a base move bonus of +20' (total 50'). This does not stack with class movement bonuses (such as a barbarian's Fast Movement).

Exotic Background Centaur PCs do not gain a feat at 1st level (does not include class feats/bonus feats).

Monstrous Humanoid Centaurs count as monstrous humanoids for the purposes of spell or other effects. They have Darkvision 60' and 1 point of natural armor.

Large Size Centaurs have a combat space of 10' and take -1 to their attack rolls and AC due to their size.

Undersized Weapons Although a centaur is Large, its upper torso is the same size as that of a Medium humanoid. As a result, they wield weapons as if they were one size category smaller than their actual size (Medium for most centaurs).

It's not feasible for all creature types -- you're never going to get a 1st-level equivalent Frost Giant, for instance -- but for a lot of critters it is. A player in my current campaign has a gnoll PC that was built in this fashion, and he's content with it.

-The Gneech :cool:

DM Howard

Explorer
I might actually try what The Gneech has suggested. My only question is the combat space. Do you mean it as a 10' by 10' square or two 5' squares in a row?

Remove ads