D&D 4E D&D 4E Character Sheet for iPad - Sneak Xmas Preview!

pclaw8

First Post
Wouldn't the ability to edit the character sheet be a plus, versus the CB PDF that you cannot edit? I know I would rather be able to make changes on my character sheet as I was playing.

I agree, I was just noting that if the sole wish was to be able to view your sheet this is an option.

Sent from my Samsung Captivate using Tapatalk Pro

Ferghis

First Post
This looks real good. Here are my suggestions:

Differentiate between character sheet creation/editing and viewing. In the latter mode, reorganize the info so that more is viewable at once. All those empty lines can be put to better use. Compare, for example, iplay4e's sheet: iplay4e.appspot.com

Use sliders to enter damage and healing quantities, and default it to half a surge value. It's much faster than typing, which is the main annoyance (for me) of these kinds of things. It's also a good idea to add a dialogue button that adds a surge value, and so on. While it's nice to have a shiny electronic character sheet, faster and easy access to these mechanics is the real advantage I'm looking for here.

Have dice rollers pop up when you double tap on skills, basic attacks, or powers. Personally, I'd forget about the modifiers, and just roll two of every dice and 9d20, showing the rolls separately. Remember to not have this popup cover up the area that was double tapped, or make it a move-able window, so you can keep the results while figuring out the modifiers.

Have a conditions dialogue box that offers all the standard conditions and notes when they end (until beginning/end of X's turn, save ends, encounter). Allow the player to add some default conditions, so he can note if he's raging or something else.

Prestidigitalis

First Post
Use sliders to enter damage and healing quantities, and default it to half a surge value.

I disagree on this one. When the range is large, it can be difficult for some people to get to an exact value using a slider, due to arthritis, shaking hands, etc. There has to be another method that allows precise specification of the value. If nothing else, supplement the slider with two buttons: "-1" and "+1".

Prestidigitalis

First Post
Good job. I was playing with something similar but never got past step 1 of about 100, due to time constraints. I would definitely pay $9.99 for something like this, if it works well.

EvilBeeker

Explorer
This looks real good. Here are my suggestions:

Differentiate between character sheet creation/editing and viewing. In the latter mode, reorganize the info so that more is viewable at once. All those empty lines can be put to better use. Compare, for example, iplay4e's sheet: iplay4e.appspot.com

Use sliders to enter damage and healing quantities, and default it to half a surge value. It's much faster than typing, which is the main annoyance (for me) of these kinds of things. It's also a good idea to add a dialogue button that adds a surge value, and so on. While it's nice to have a shiny electronic character sheet, faster and easy access to these mechanics is the real advantage I'm looking for here.

Have dice rollers pop up when you double tap on skills, basic attacks, or powers. Personally, I'd forget about the modifiers, and just roll two of every dice and 9d20, showing the rolls separately. Remember to not have this popup cover up the area that was double tapped, or make it a move-able window, so you can keep the results while figuring out the modifiers.

Have a conditions dialogue box that offers all the standard conditions and notes when they end (until beginning/end of X's turn, save ends, encounter). Allow the player to add some default conditions, so he can note if he's raging or something else.

These are great suggesetions, thank you very much! A couple of them are already on our list as potential updates, but some we had not thought of so thanks! It was very important for us to get a base product out, then apply update from our wish list and get feedback from the RPG community.

More soon ...

EvilBeeker

Explorer
Our iCharacter Sheet - 4E product is now live for the iPad! We have a free version as well (save and email functions disabled) for gamers to test to see if they are interested in purchasing. Cost of the full version is $3.99 US.

Official press release to come, along with more product information!

Thanks to all on this thread for their comments and feedback.

Cheers! :D

Zaran

Adventurer
Our iCharacter Sheet - 4E product is now live for the iPad! We have a free version as well (save and email functions disabled) for gamers to test to see if they are interested in purchasing. Cost of the full version is $3.99 US.

Official press release to come, along with more product information!

Thanks to all on this thread for their comments and feedback.

Cheers! :D

Is there a way for "we", the community, to help you get more rights from WotC to make the sheet more interactive? Like being able to import our characters directly to the app?

EvilBeeker

Explorer
Is there a way for "we", the community, to help you get more rights from WotC to make the sheet more interactive? Like being able to import our characters directly to the app?

Hi Zaran,

Thanks for asking! Right now I don't think there isn't much that can be done from the 4E community. I've have had great correspondence with the head of their Digital products, and if/when the opportunity becomes available for us to get more game material access we'll let everyone know.

There has been some discussion surrounding the use of APIs to pull down 4E gaming rules for general use, but that is all I'm aware of at this time. I know there is an app out there that "sort of" does that already, but it requires you have a DDI account to do it. While Digital Adventures could do that also, at this time we can't build that into the our iCS-4E app and charge for it -- however, I am going to look into that option for the future. As for a direct import of DDI characters, we need to stay in the confines of what WOTC tells us what can and cannot be done and hopefully come up with something in the near future.

Right now, the best thing the ENW/4E community can do is give us feedback on our product to improve things down the road. We already have a list forming, and we're going to try and do as many of them as possible. As previously mentioned, our goal today is get the product in the hands of the gaming community and build on it from there. We also have iCS versions coming out for other systems down the road, and we'll be announcing those as projects near conclusion.

:cool:

Remove ads