Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters

Cleon

Legend
That one seems like it'll be fun. :erm:

*SNIP*

Seems almost like it was designed for an adventure or something.

Yes, if by "fun" you mean "painfully vague as to what it actually does".

How shall we interpret this in 3E terms?

As written, the "stored energy" is only useful for augmenting the Greater Binding and Veil spells, or the occultation and binding cage as we've renamed them.

IIRC, we were thinking that the summon coven allowed a goatling community to create a pool of empowerment points they can use for Spell Magnitude empowerment of certain spells.

Are we still going for that approach?

Do we keep the "must sacrifice all their day's goat magic SLAs" bit? Does that also include each goatling's personal empowerment points and prevent them using their Discerp and Empowerment supernatural abilities for that day, since those were originally also "Goat Magic" SLAs?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Odd, that's just what I mean. ;)

I think the pool of empowerment points is the way to go. As for the sacrifice, how about giving up all their existing empowerment points to the pool? That's probably sufficient, right?

Cleon

Legend
Odd, that's just what I mean. ;)

I think the pool of empowerment points is the way to go. As for the sacrifice, how about giving up all their existing empowerment points to the pool? That's probably sufficient, right?

I'm thinking we should include sacrificing goat magic SLAs as a possibility as a homage to the original.

Also, we ought to decide on what sort of limitations it has - maybe the transfer is woefully inefficient (maybe only storing 1 empowerment point for every one savrificed), or the amount of empowerment points that can be used in any one spell-working is limited by the caster level(s) of the goatlings drawing them from the tabernacle, or maybe it's a slow process.

We ought to make sure it's not something that's usable in combat, but is more a strategic/battlefield scale asset.

freyar

Even though the spell lists 4 hours as the "duration," that also seems to be the casting time. And it seems like you need a special artifact or focus to store the empowerment points beyond that.

Cleon

Legend
Even though the spell lists 4 hours as the "duration," that also seems to be the casting time. And it seems like you need a special artifact or focus to store the empowerment points beyond that.

Making the casting time 4 hours would do little to prevent it being used in combat ifthey can subsequently pull the stored empowerment points from their "Ark of the Ram-enant" as rapidly as they like.

freyar

Mmmm. How about it takes something like 1 round to extract each empowerment point for use? That way, the coven caster can use a little in combat but not do anything too extravagant, unless the battle lasts a long time.

Cleon

Legend
Mmmm. How about it takes something like 1 round to extract each empowerment point for use? That way, the coven caster can use a little in combat but not do anything too extravagant, unless the battle lasts a long time.

That'd work, although if anything it might be too weak since they'd need an entire minute to match the 10 empowerment point maximum of most of the empowerments, which a goatling can do in a round with its own points.

I'd be OK making it 10 points plus an additional point for every extra round spend "drawing from the Tabernacle".

Remove ads