Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Fair enough.

Shall we use this?
Cleon said:
For example, have it create a pool of empowerment points equal to the total HD of all participating goatlings who are willing to sacrifice their Goat Magic spell-like abilities for the day.

Cleon

Legend
Fair enough.

Shall we use this?

For example, have it create a pool of empowerment points equal to the total HD of all participating goatlings who are willing to sacrifice their Goat Magic spell-like abilities for the day.

Come to think of it, it'll need a little more detail on this.

Some of the higher-level SLAs are 1/week or 1/month, so we'll need to say how (or if) those are sacrifced, since those powers are not "for the day".

My preference is that a goatling must use its entire allotment of Goat Magic and if it has already used one or more of its SLAs, including weekly and monthly ones, the goatling can't contribute to the empowerment pool. It'll need the proviso that if a goatling used its summon coven spell-like ability to help create the coven, that Goat Magic SLA still counts as being "sacrificed" towards the pool.

Cleon

Legend
That's fine with me if you'd care to update the draft with that.

Updating summon coven working draft.

I added the following:

If a goatling has already used any of its daily Goat Magic abilities that day, it is unable to contribute any empowerment points to the pool. Goatlings who already used a weekly or monthly Goat Magic ability can still contribute empowerment points to the pool, but the spell-like ability takes twice the normal length of time to replenish. e.g. a goatling who used its 1/week contact outer plane ability five days ago would normally be able to use it again in two days time (5 + 2 = a week's 7 days); but if it contributes all its Goat Magic to a coven's pool, it would need to wait 9 days before using its contact outer plane ability again (5 + 9 = 14 days, or two weeks). This rule does not apply if a goatling uses its 1/month summon coven ability to become one of the three spellcasters who creates the coven. In such a case, the goatling need only wait a month to reuse its summon coven ability.

freyar

That'll do for me.

As for expending energy: as you suggest, 10 empowerment points in the first round plus 1 more per round to empower a single goatling's abilities? Or else "plug it in" to occultation or binding cage somehow?

Cleon

Legend
That'll do for me.

As for expending energy: as you suggest, 10 empowerment points in the first round plus 1 more per round to empower a single goatling's abilities? Or else "plug it in" to occultation or binding cage somehow?

We've already plugged a summon coven special rule in Occultation and added a ?? placeholder to binding cage, so I'd prefer to add some coven-empowerment rules to binding cage and add something like the following to summon coven:

"certain goat magic spells can gain additional effects when empowered by summon covern. These effects are detailed in the spell descriptions - see binding cage and occultation for examples."

freyar

I'm not sure our current summon coven and the text in occultation work well together. In occultation, it sounds like summon coven is used for one effect each time, not just as a way to gather empowerment points. For reference:

Occultation
Abjuration
Level: Bard 4, Goat 3, Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 minute
Area: A circle with a radius up to 5 ft. per two levels
Duration: 13 hours plus 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless, object)

The warded area becomes difficult to perceive by divination spells such as clairaudience/clairvoyance, scry, locate object or detect spells. It also prevents location by such magic items as crystal balls. If a divination is attempted against a creature or item within the area warded by this spell, the caster of the divination must succeed on a caster level check against a DC of 11 + the caster level of the spellcaster who cast occultation or the divination fails.

The spellcaster who cast occultation does not need to make caster level checks to use divination in the spell's area of effect.

Summon Coven
If a goatling uses summon coven to enhance an occultation spell with Spell Magnitude empowerment, the empowerment's enhancement bonus to caster level applies to the occultation's duration and area of effect. Any goatling who participates in a summon coven spell to enhance an occultation is considered a "caster", and the resulting spell will not ward against that goatling's divinations.

Maybe just getting rid of the last sentence will fix it.

Cleon

Legend
I'm not sure our current summon coven and the text in occultation work well together. In occultation, it sounds like summon coven is used for one effect each time, not just as a way to gather empowerment points. For reference:

Maybe just getting rid of the last sentence will fix it.

No, we deliberately wanted the congregation of the summon coven not to have their divinations veiled by the occultation. The "Great Veil" mentioned in Goatlings of Kavaja would cause almost every goatling in their own kingdom to become divination-blind if we cut out that sentence.

How about we reword it a bit, e.g.:

Every goatling who contributes to a summon coven empowerment points pool is considered a "caster" when an occultation is enhanced using that pool; the resulting occultation does not ward against those goatlings' divinations.

freyar

That works a bit better, since summon coven can power multiple effects.

So, are we just going with the following? The spell focus can release 10 empowerment points in one round plus one per additional round to a single goatling caster to empower one effect, and certain goat spells allow special empowerments.

Remove ads