Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters

Cleon

Legend
Well it's another day, so here goes nothing...

Summon Coven
Summoning (Conjuration)
Level: Goat 7, Clr 9, Sor/Wiz 9
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 4 hours
Range: See text
Effect: See text
Duration: 1 hour/level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

The summon coven spell is a powerful magic that allows a group of goatlings to amass a pool of empowerment points and then use those points to empower additional spellcasting. This spell requires at least 3 goatling spellcasters, who all cast summon coven simultaneously, plus a congregation of at least 4 other goatlings of 15th level or higher. The spellcasters who cast summon coven must nominate one of their number as the "head" of the coven, they must all agree who this head is or the spell fails. The spell also requires a focus component called a tabernacle, a ritual chest that holds the empowerment point pool created by the spell. The spellcasters must be within 30 feet of the tabernacle to cast summon coven or to concentrate on maintaining the spell (see below).

Gathering Power: This spell creates a pool of empowerment points equal to the total HD of all participating goatlings who are willing to sacrifice their Goat Magic spell-like abilities for the day while the spell is being cast. A goatling must be within long range of the tabernacle to transmit power to it (400 ft. plus 40 ft. per caster level of the summon coven).

If a goatling has already used any of its daily Goat Magic abilities that day, it is unable to contribute any empowerment points to the pool. Goatlings who already used a weekly or monthly Goat Magic ability can still contribute empowerment points to the pool, but the spell-like ability takes twice the normal length of time to replenish. e.g. a goatling who used its 1/week contact outer plane ability five days ago would normally be able to use it again in two days time (5 + 2 = a week's 7 days); but if it contributes all its Goat Magic to a coven's pool, it would need to wait 9 days before using its contact outer plane ability again (5 + 9 = 14 days, or two weeks). This rule does not apply if a goatling uses its 1/month summon coven ability to become one of the three spellcasters who creates the coven. In such a case, the goatling need only wait a month to reuse its summon coven ability.

Once cast, a summon coven ends if all of the goatling spellcasters who cast the spell stop concentrating upon it, if the coven head loses consciousness, or if any of the spellcasters chooses to dismiss the spell. So long as at least one of the spellcasters is concentrating on the summon coven, the other spellcasters can perform other actions (or rest) without interrupting the summon coven spell; this allows the casters to take turns concentrating. The pool of empowerment points dissipates when the spell ends.

Drawing Power: The head of the coven can draw empowerment points from the tabernacle and use them to enhance the next spell they cast. It takes 1 round to draw 10 empowerment points, plus 1 round for each additional point drawn. Certain goat magic spells allow for special enhancements when empowered using summon coven. These are detailed in the individual spell descriptions - see binding cage and occultation for examples.

Drawing power from the tabernacle is a standard action that requires concentration. If the concentration is interrupted (as per interrupting a spell), the coven head loses the empowerment points they have drawn so far, but can begin drawing again on their next turn.

Focus: The tabernacle, a well crafted ritual chest constructed by master crafters. The tabernacle never costs less than 750 gp and is approximately 5 feet long, 3 feet wide, and 4 feet tall.

Tabernacle of the Ram: This artifact is X. It has an unlimited capacity to store empowerment points and it stores empowerment points for a duration of X (they do not dissipate when the summon coven duration runs out like a normal tabernacle's empowerment pool).

Last edited:

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Well, let's start with the "gathering power" part. I assume you intend to gather empowerment points from the congregation, but I read the original as gathering points from other goatlings as well. Do you agree?

Cleon

Legend
Well, let's start with the "gathering power" part. I assume you intend to gather empowerment points from the congregation, but I read the original as gathering points from other goatlings as well. Do you agree?

Yes, I was intending to include other goatlings.

The original description called the 15th+ level goatlings the "congregation" and it could draw empowerment points from a "community" of goatlings (which in effect is all willing goatlings within a 1 mile per CL radius), so I was assuming we were going to keep the terminology.

Going by the notes on the Great Veil and Greater Binding, the summon coven originally measured its stored power in terms of "energy levels", which in effect means the sum of the HD of the goatlings who willingly relinquish their spellcasting ability for the day to the tabernacle.

freyar

Seems easiest to measure the total power in our "empowerment points." But I guess the question is if the community should surrender all spellcasting ability or just innate SLA casting. What do you think? Or we could go for something a bit different like surrendering empowerment points 1-1.

Cleon

Legend
Seems easiest to measure the total power in our "empowerment points." But I guess the question is if the community should surrender all spellcasting ability or just innate SLA casting. What do you think? Or we could go for something a bit different like surrendering empowerment points 1-1.

I'm thinking it'd be better to keep it simple.

For example, have it create a pool of empowerment points equal to the total HD of all participating goatlings who are willing to sacrifice their Goat Magic spell-like abilities for the day.

If we have it based on the amount of empowerment points and/or spell levels each goatling is willing to sacrifice it'd just involve a lot of book-keeping, especially if we introduce a ratio between the points/levels sacrificed and the empowerment points pooled.

That'd also be relatively close to the original spell description.

freyar

I'm not entirely opposed to that approach, but we'd need to figure out which of the spells are the Goat Magic SLAs first.

Cleon

Legend
I'm not entirely opposed to that approach, but we'd need to figure out which of the spells are the Goat Magic SLAs first.

I thought we'd already agreed we were giving them "goat spells" as 1/day SLAs that increased with their levels, with the progression based on the one in Goatmen of Kavaja.

A direct translation of the original would be something like:

Goat Magic (Sp): All goatlings possess spell-like abilities depending on their Hit Dice, as indicated on the following table. The abilities are cumulative. Unless otherwise noted, an ability is usable once per day. Caster level equals the goatling’s HD, and the save DC is Charisma-based.

HD Abilities
1detect magic
2protection from evil
3binding circle
5occultation, dispel magic
7dimension door, sunfire whip
9contact outer plane 1/week, magic jar 1/month
11antimagic field, binding cage 1/month
15summon coven 1/month
Notice that discerp and empower are not on the list, since we made those two Supernatural rather than Spell-Like.

Cleon

Legend
HD Abilities
15summon coven 1/month

Come to think of it, perhaps we should keep consistent and make summon coven a 7th level "Goat spell" so it matches the 15 HD minimum of the original (and the 15 HD minimum of the congregation in the spell description).

freyar

That's all fair enough, but I didn't see it in the thread. Sure. I guess goatling casters can also choose from the goat spell lists when learning spells?

Cleon

Legend
That's all fair enough, but I didn't see it in the thread. Sure. I guess goatling casters can also choose from the goat spell lists when learning spells?

That was the idea.

We can sort out the details when we get around to the Goat Magic (Sp) description.

Shall I go ahead and change the level of the summon coven?

Remove ads