[OT] Which Gaming Console to buy?

Slacker

First Post
Re: And the winner is...

Kai Lord said:
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I went ahead and picked up the console I was leaning toward from the beginning: the PS2.

It simply had the games I wanted to play.

I bought the console, two memory packs, S-video cable, and four games:

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Ratchett and Clank
Robotech: Battlecry (on sale for $29.95)
Metal Gear Solid 2 ($19.95)

And now I'm going to take the time to utterly gush about one of the games. And that game is Robotech.

Freaking phenomenal! I assumed my time with the first batch of games would be predominantly consumed by GTA, but no, its been almost all Battlecry.

A couple of things first. In junior high and high school, I was pretty much a closet Robotech geek. I watched all the cartoons, read the novelizations of the cartoons, bought the art books, and played the Robotech rpg on a regular basis with my gaming buds.

After high school we pretty much quit playing the rpg but in 1995 both myself and one friend in particular began salivating at the news that a state-of-the-art new game was coming out for the Nintendo 64 called Robotech: Crystal Dreams. My friend and I promptly went out and bought N64's and waited for Crystal Dreams. And waited. And waited and waited and waited. And the damn thing never came out.

Since then I became more interested in the Macross (original Japanese version of the series) side of things and bought the Macross: Do You Remember Love import laserdisc and the Macross: DYRL Sega Saturn side-scrolling game. Finally, I was playing my favorite transformable fighters in a kick-ass video game.

Years pass, and now, here I am, feverishly playing Robotech: Battlecry. And its awesome. First off I can't believe how nostalgic I am for plain old Robotech! I'd seen so much Macross since the old days I'd forgotten how sweet it was just to hear the old Robotech title theme. And they open the game with a montage of in-game action scenes just like the old cartoon! They use footage from the game's missions, I just wish they'd constructed a final pose shot for the end of the montage like they did with the cartoon.

As for the game itself, choosing the cel-shaded look is a stroke of genius that pays off big. It really does look like you're playing the cartoon, from veritechs that transform with the exact same animations to those familiar yellow spherical explosions.

You get to have fun blasting away at Fighter and Battle Pods up in space but my favorite missions are those that take place in cities. Nothing's more satisfying than strafing at a dodging battle pod, watching him flee past the other side of a building, keeping your bead on him as you unload into the building itself, then continuing to blast him with gunfire as he emerges on the other side as the entire building collapses to the ground.

Then there's other little touches like having free reign to transform as you choose, having secondary fire options (like being able to autotarget incoming missiles) and a gun prone to overheating.

One review I read said the game has all the excitement of the battles from the cartoons, with none of the sappy soap opera elements. TDK did such a good job of bringing the cartoon to life (complete with the original voice actors and streaking missiles that sound just like the ones from the cartoon) that I wish they did include the sappy soap opera elements. I want to see Rick's angst and hear Khyron's ridiculous speeches, dammit! Oh well, can't have everything. All in all, a damn fine game. And since its available on all consoles, I recommend that anyone with a game system who has ever been a fan of Robotech to go out and get this game now.

Hear Hear!

I can only second this recommendation. If you're any sort of Robotech fan, you ought to try it out.

Ristamar

Adventurer
Well, I posted this in the other console thread that was moved, but I'll just paste it here, too.

PS2 Pros:
- Immense library of games
- GTA, Tekken, Metal Gear, and Gran Turismo series are exclusive to PS2, for now
- Lots of RPG's, Final Fantasy being the most noteworthy
- Backward compatibility with original PS games
- DVD playback is possibly a plus (though I agree with one of the previous posters; if you truly want to watch a lot of DVD's, get a REAL DVD player. It's worth it.)
- Developers often use the PS2 as primary development platform (limits bad 'ports' along with some other smaller benefits)

PS2 Cons:
- Only 2 controller ports (though multitap is available)
- Hardware is noticeably weaker than XBOX and Gamecube in some multiplatform titles (blurry textures, jagged lines, etc.)

Gamecube Pros:
- Four controller ports
- Classic exclusive franchises (Mario, Zelda, Metroid, F-Zero, Sonic (it still feels odd saying that), etc.)
- Numerous strong party-game/multiplayer titles (great when you've got friends, not so great if you always game alone)
- Resident Evil franchise is exclusive, for now (except Resident Evil Online)
- Final Fantasy game(s) scheduled for 2003 release
- Much improved third party support in comparison to the N64
- Nintendo is arguably the best video game software developer in the world, in terms of quality and experience

Gamecube Cons:
- Alleged (misplaced?) 'Kiddy' image (it isn't half as bad as people make it out to be; people have a love/hate thing with Mario, so again it comes down to personal preference)
- Sometimes receives straight or sub-optimal ports (developers dont always utilize the hardware in multiplatorm releases to add and enhance features, and sometimes even sloppily port games, making them slightly worse than the original)

XBOX Pros:
- Four controller ports
- Most powerful console on the market
- Built in hard drive allows for custom soundtracks, save game storage, and more
- Usually has the best version of multiplatform games, in terms of graphics
- DVD playback is possibly a plus (see comments in PS2 section)
- Has recently scored some exclusive developers/licenses that could be potential hits (most notably Rare, and it will be interesting to how their games turn out after the buyout; 10% of the staff departed, and instead of Nintendo internally supporting their efforts, it's now MS)
- DOA franchise (not exactly my cup of tea, though I've heard some people really like those girls)

XBOX Cons:
- MS has yet to prove itself as a first-party developer, and currently lacks strong second-party support (And don't say Halo :p Thank Bungie for that one, not MS)
- (+?) Has a PC-centric image (XBOX has an image of mainly receiving slightly watered down PC ports (Max Payne, Morrowind, etc), though if you don't have a nice PC, this could be counted as a benefit)
- Must purchase separate DVD kit for DVD playback

Note on exclusivity:
Even though a title may be exclusive to a console, it may be developed on the PC, as well (certain Final Fantasy titles, GTA, etc.)

Other Random Notes:
- Disc size is a non-issue. PS2 and XBOX basically use standard DVDs. The Gamecube discs are smaller, but by no means small at approximately 1.5 gigs. If extra space is needed, the developer simply creates a second or third disc at minimal cost.
- Controllers are a matter of personal preference, each having their highs and lows, though all feel fine after adapting to their individual quirks. The smaller S-Controller is recommended for XBOX, and Nintendo's wireless Wavebird controller is rather amazing. Also, adapters can usually be found to use alternate controllers from rival systems on your system of choice.
- Online gaming is still largely up in the air on all 3 systems. XBOX potentially has the best online plan, while Nintendo's is arguably the weakest, though this is all still mostly speculation in the grand scheme of things. Many factors are involved, and if online play is important to you, research each systems online plan thoroughly before making a purchase.

Personal opinions/recommendations:
It all comes down to what kind of gamer you are, what you like to play, and whether or not you already have a PC or another console system. Casual gamers should likely stick with the PS2 since it has such a diverse array of titles. Fans of Sonic (since Sega is now third party), Mario, and other classic/nostalgic franchises should go with Nintendo. XBOX has good shooters and racing games. Nintendo has good multiplayer and party games. Sony has good fighting games and RPG's. In general, you'll find that exclusive titles make or break a console purchase, so buy a system that supports your favorite games.

If you can afford it, buy two systems -- A PS2 or XBOX, and a Gamecube, as you'll get the least amount of overlap in titles. I own a GC (love the multiplayer games and Nintendo franchises) and a PC (for my FPS, RPG, and online gaming fix), and I'd like to pick up a PS2 sometime down the road. I have a hard time recommending XBOX simply because they don't have many great titles that can't be found on other systems or the PC. If MS can produce a strong holiday lineup, it could really turn things around for them, though.

In my opinion, skip over IGN, Gamespot, and such and simply head straight to gamerankings.com. They compile reviews from printed sources and sites all over the web. It's the best way to see if a title is truly good without testing it yourself since you receive a large sample of reviews. The larger sites, while nice, tend to be.... inconsistent with their reviews, since they deal with a large number of games, and reviewers vary in strictness and bias. You can easily be burned if merely rely on one or two sites.

Lastly, the best way to choose a console is to find friends that already own them, are very knowledgeable of what's available, are knowledgeable of what you like, and are willing to let you play (or borrow) their games. Research other titles you're interested in and rent a few of them. Whichever system you had the most fun with overall, well, that's your winner.

Some quick notes and comments on some items I noticed while skimming this thread:

- Metroid Prime is not a first person shooter (or at least not of the typical FPS mold). If you want info on the game, just read these impressions of the final build.

- It's true, Zelda does have a more 'cartoony' look, but retains the Ocarina of Time style of play. No, Zelda will not suck (at least, no more than Zelda: Ocarina of Time sucked, which is regarded by some reviewers as the greatest game ever made).

- Metal Gear Solid 2 is on XBOX, but it's not exactly superior to the PS2 version. It has some cool extras, though it suffers some problems that were not in the original. Full Review.

- Skies of Arcadia is coming to the GameCube, though it isn't a straight port. Supposedly there are updated graphics, new character(s), and new elements being added to the game, though exactly how much will be new is still mostly unknown.

- The GameCube is not a dying system, nor will it be Nintendo's last console.

- The XBOX isn't leaving soon, either. Microsoft is, if anything, persistent.

- Don't even worry about the PS3. It's a long, long way off.

Last edited:

Tsyr

Explorer
GTA, Tekken, Metal Gear, and Gran Turismo series are exclusive to PS2, for now

Just wanted to comment on this briefly... I agree with most of what you say... but Metal Gear isn't a PS2 exclusive. X-Box has it.

Also, I think what you're going to find, more and more, is that consoles will have an increasingly shared library. Most of the major games comming out now are availible on 2 of the 3 platforms, at least... exclusive titles are few and far between.

That said, X-Box does have a few promising exclusives comming out soon... BC, Brute Force, Crimson Skies (looks to be a worthy sequal), Galleon, Halo 2, Wrath, Apex, Fable, True Fantasy, Nobunaga's Ambition, N.U.D.E....

Ristamar

Adventurer
Tsyr said:

Just wanted to comment on this briefly... I agree with most of what you say... but Metal Gear isn't a PS2 exclusive. X-Box has it.

Also, I think what you're going to find, more and more, is that consoles will have an increasingly shared library. Most of the major games comming out now are availible on 2 of the 3 platforms, at least... exclusive titles are few and far between.

Yeah, I know, I apologize if that was a bit misleading. When I posted this the first time around, MGS: Substance hadn't been released yet. I did comment on it later, though, clarifying that it was on XBOX.

As for exclusives... well, I agree and disagree. More and more games are going multiplatform, though there are still quite a few exclusive titles on each console, some being permanent, others being time based (some people don't like to wait 6 to 12 months for a port). You'd be surprised at the number of exclusive titles still out there. A lot may be slightly more obscure than some of the big name franchises, but a lot of them are quality titles. I still maintain exclusives make or break a console purchase for most gamers.

Last edited:

Roland Bradford

First Post
I bought Nintendo Switch six months ago, and I was pleased with the purchase. Nintendo makes great games, let's remember The Legend of Zelda. The world of the game is varied. There are deserts, icy mountains, dense forests, each area is fascinating and literally makes you explore it all. But there is always a catch behind such species: wild animals, chameleon monsters, and other creatures who are always ready to drive us away from this territory. I think it's a good choice and this system deservedly got a place in the list of best handheld consoles in 2018.

mikkelkasper

First Post
with gaming technology on the rise the last decade, its a little bit difficult to say the best of the best but on the comments given above, i would say SONY has over the yrs developed and improved their gaming consoles beyond what other companies might offer.. i would get a thousand PS4s over any other gaming console...Xbox 360 is also good but i guess the variety of games that Sony offer gives it an extra star...

Last edited:

I bought Nintendo Switch six months ago, and I was pleased with the purchase. Nintendo makes great games, let's remember The Legend of Zelda. The world of the game is varied. There are deserts, icy mountains, dense forests, each area is fascinating and literally makes you explore it all. But there is always a catch behind such species: wild animals, chameleon monsters, and other creatures who are always ready to drive us away from this territory. I think it's a good choice and this system deservedly got a place in the list of best handheld consoles in 2018.

I'm impressed, this has to be the biggest necro I've seen. 16 years!

Still, it is a timeless subect. But i didn't even know enworld was around in 2002.

The things you learn!

GreyLord

Legend
with gaming technology on the rise the last decade, its a little bit difficult to say the best of the best but on the comments given above, i would say SONY has over the yrs developed and improved their gaming consoles beyond what other companies might offer.. i would get a thousand PS4s over any other gaming console...Xbox 360 is also good but i guess the variety of games that Sony offer gives it an extra star...

PS4 has restrictive DRM. If you own more than one console, you can only play your downloaded games on one of them offline...otherwise you must be online. If you want to change to use the other offline, you have to disable the first one before you can enable the other one. Games are restricted to one profile. PS4 has no backwards compatibility.

Xbox One has less restrictive DRM. You can make one your primary, get it offline and make another your primary. As long as the first stays offline you can continue to play. You can do this up to five times (PS4 is once every 6 months I think). Xbox one has limited backwards compatibility.

Xbox One looked like it was going to be worse when it was announced, but due to backlash and competition I'd put the Xbox One as solidly better then the PS4 currently.

Steam has backwards compatibility, restrictive DRM but allows you to basically download your games any time you want and play them when you want. GoG also exists and has no DRM. Combine they have more games available then any console out there. PC seems like the best, though the most expensive, option.

Android and Ipads also exist, some games are good, some aren't. The microtransaction is king.

Remove ads