D&D 5E Why D&D Can't Have a Good Video Game

Zardnaar

Legend
Not as cheap as you might think. They received nearly a million dollars in a Kickstarter campaign to supplement their existing development budget. They also had a big publishing partner (Deep Silver).

Granted, it's not AAA levels of funding, but it's not a tiny indie game budget, either. It's probably comparable to Pillars of Eternity.

I think Pillars was 4 million. In game development that is money down the back of a couch levels. Witcher 3 80 million, GTA V 200+ million, Assassins Creed 100+ million.

You can still make good cheap games though (Sins of a Solar Empire, Europa Unversalis IV, most Paradox titles really).

Ristamar

Adventurer
I think Pillars was 4 million. In game development that is money down the back of a couch levels. Witcher 3 80 million, GTA V 200+ million, Assassins Creed 100+ million.

You can still make good cheap games though (Sins of a Solar Empire, Europa Unversalis IV, most Paradox titles really).

I think your perspective is skewed by the few remaining mega developers/publishers that can dump tens of millions into well established franchises and are capable of weathering a couple of disappointing releases. 4 million is a fortune for an isometric CRPG. Even Witcher 2 only had a budget of 10 million.

CD Projekt RED is both awesome and insane for having the brass to self fund huge titles like Witcher 3 and the upcoming Cyberpunk 2077. However, if one of their massive ventures doesn't resonate with the market, they could be in big financial trouble.

Valetudo

Adventurer
CD project also gets money from its goverment. And as good of a game witcher3 was, the actual combat was not that good. I know heresy but true.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
1. Its not an actual D&D game although it is fantasy.
2. Witcher is an 80 million dollar game. WoTC can't afford that and they go for the cheap developers it seems.

Do you think the author of Witcher paid $80m to produce a Witcher game? All WoTC has to do is be wise with who they farm out the licensing to and they could have a good DnD game again.

DS

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
CD project also gets money from its goverment. And as good of a game witcher3 was, the actual combat was not that good. I know heresy but true.

Witcher 3 combat was simple. But as far as the game goes, that may actually be a strength. too complex combat (at least initially) is going to gate some people right out of the game before they have the chance to get hooked.

At least that's what happen to me in the first Witcher.

GreyLord

Legend

For Action fantasy, the only game I enjoyed the combat more has been the Diablo series. Witcher 3 is VERY good in comparison. It flows very well, is fun, and you actually feel like you are in combat unlike many other Action RPG titles.

Most Action Fantasy RPGs really stink in the combat area. They just are really horrible. Sci-Fi RPGs typically are much better (but many of those take a handle from Mass Effect and others where it's a combination of a TPS or FPS and an RPG).

Zardnaar

Legend
For Action fantasy, the only game I enjoyed the combat more has been the Diablo series. Witcher 3 is VERY good in comparison. It flows very well, is fun, and you actually feel like you are in combat unlike many other Action RPG titles.

Most Action Fantasy RPGs really stink in the combat area. They just are really horrible. Sci-Fi RPGs typically are much better (but many of those take a handle from Mass Effect and others where it's a combination of a TPS or FPS and an RPG).

I'm thinking something like Fallout 4 or Assassins Creed engines could make for a decent D&D Engine.

For Action fantasy, the only game I enjoyed the combat more has been the Diablo series.

Try Grim Dawn. Improved Diablo style combat in a better developed and more interesting world.

Come to think of it, the Grim Dawn world would be an excellent setting for a D&D homebrew campaign.

GreyLord

Legend
Try Grim Dawn. Improved Diablo style combat in a better developed and more interesting world.

Come to think of it, the Grim Dawn world would be an excellent setting for a D&D homebrew campaign.

I have it and tried it (have the expansion as well, but got bored of Grim Dawn long before I ever tried the expansion). I wasn't too thrilled with it (perhaps it is the same reason I got bored with Titanquest as well).

It's more along the lines of Van Helsing or Victor Vran or Vikings: Wolves of Midgard. Maybe I'm just not an action RPG type guy, or very hard to impress along those lines. These types just cannot seem to capture the same magic as Diablo. Closest to that has been the Torchlight series.

Most of those probably would make good D&D homebrew settings though. I agree Grim Dawn could also make a good D&D homebrew setting.

The Witcher series (moreso 2 and 3, the first one's combat doesn't impress me as much, the Tales series probably has better combat than the first Witcher) doesn't even try. It's more of a true RPG in the sense of talking to people and quests, but the action combat is smoother than most other action RPGs and just works, at least for me.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Anybody playing Kingmaker, how would you compare it to Pillars of Eternity?

I have and like the first one, just haven't gotten around to finishing it yet.

Remove ads