OK. Borrowed most of this from H.M.Gimlord, because he does it right, and why re-invent the wheel.
Player Info: I pretty much demand that you to include mini stat blocks in your posts, or at least a link to your character sheet in your signature. Mini-stat blocks allow you to keep track of your own healing surges, power usages, acquired items, etc... without having to ask the DM all the time. It's not the end of the world if you forget, but please be sure to include it when you are posting an action block. It also make it easier for me to check basic stats.
Passive checks: I will roll passive checks from time to time.
If these checks result in information (i.e.: there are arrow holes in the walls of this corridor, that dragon has one eye open, etc...), I will reveal the information in a spoiler specifically addressed to one or more characters. If you are not one of the intended characters, please do not read these spoilers. The character, however, is welcome to, in character, reveal the contents of the spoiler to the others. I'm not going to police this or anything, but the story goes more like a story, when it's done this way. Please feel free to get into your character with the information you have (or don’t have).
If the passive check results in a turn of events (i.e.: a trap springing, a monster gaining surprise, failure to realize that the guy was lying all the time) the passive roll will be posted at the time that the event happens.
Combat: Malenkirk Rules! Malenkirk rules, for the most part. Some of the bad guys have been customized for this adventure.
DM Posts during combat will include:
Status of all players, monsters, NPCs etc... indicating Name, Location, HP/MaxHP, State, Healing Surges Left, Action Points left (i.e.:: Arkavas I6 -1/41 Dying HS 0 AP 1)
Map in the form of a grid, hopefully with coordinates
Enemy Mini Stat Blocks including HP, AC, Fort, Refl, Will, Immunities, Resistance, and Basic Attack. If there are more specialized powers, I will post them at the time of their use.
Time's Up!: I will give players 48 hours to post, at the end of which time I reserve the right to RP the player's character on his behalf. I will use the most appropriate actions and At-Will powers only.
(this is rule created by Velmont, used by HM, strict adherence to which ensures a good game pace)
Exceptions: If you will be out for a long time and unable to post, please let the party know and assign responsibility to either myself or another, willing player for RPing your character, or I can write in a scenario that takes you out of the picture until your return (The former is preferred).
What are Malenkirk Rules?
Named after their inventor Mal Malenkirk (Mal, if you are reading this, why are you reading this and how big is your head now?)
In a nutshell:
Players roll initiative individually, bad guys roll one initiative roll
Players with higher init than bad guys go first
then all the bad guys go
Then all the players go. From this point, we alternate players vs bad guys
Good guy turns happen in first post - first acted order.
Illegal post-overs will be resolved in that round
Legal post-overs stand even if each didn't know the other was posting.
Treasure: Keep a wish list on your character sheet up to date with what you would like, and I’ll try to accommodate within reason. Items will be given relative to player level. Parcel Gold/Items will be evenly divided at the end.
Die Rolling: Roll your dice on Invisible Castle. If invisible castle is down, try Dice Room using your character name and the name of this adventure ("Lord Byron's Lost Silver") as the room name. In either case highlight the die roll in your post and use the 'Insert Link' button to post a link to your die rolls.
Dice room clears the visible roll history pretty quickly now, so you probably want to use IC.
Out of Character Content: Post out of character content (i.e.: complaints, tactics, mechanics, etc...) in a spoiler with the letters 'OOC' in the title.
Everyone: Report back to Byron & decide what to do with the information about the brotherhood.
Summary of Events
1. Bested Pirates en route to Allaria. Traveled on the ship Wind's Will captained by Captain Levenbrech, and mated by Porse and Trig.
2. Arrived in the port, to find it besieged by Lizards from the unending mire. Defeated lizards and met/teamed up with Charina.
3. Journeyed to Geardagas and asked the locals for information with mixed results (link to the leads gathered).
4. Went to the temple of Netari, where the new priest, Father Niris, has been tending to the ill (apparently quite poorly). He led the players into the catacombs, where his zombie minions ambushed. The priest, over confident, rambled on about Hellview (background reference for players).
5. Dealing a mortal blow to the Priest, he says Master De Luccia (First time they have heard the name) cannot be stopped, and he stated that Greggor "will be... among the first... at Hellview." The priest laid dying on the floor with his fallen minions.
6. As they approach Hellview, they encounter the ghost of Sir Alistair Glasston, who begged them to enter the cave and retrieve his lost battleaxe.
7. They entered Hellview, and came across a portal, as well as some guards/workers. It seems they were using zombies to dig a new path near the portal...
8. They step through the portal into a bizarre world. A demon statue looms ahead, with a tall gate behind. The bodies of fallen adventurers, as well as a dead demon, lay about the floor. Wil Triggered the Demon statue trap, alerting the nearby demon's.
9. After a long battle, they slew all of the demons who had come through the hell gate, and they found Sir Alistair Glasston's lost battleaxe. But Greggor was still missing, and there is the question of why the demons were digging.
10. Hergunna departed the group to alert the local militia, while the others pressed ahead North, trying to find the source of the demon-aligned miners, as well as the lost silver.
11. They came upon a wall blocking the road to the mine. Mounted knight Brother Arleas leads a band of outlaws and zombies to defend the mine entrance. After slaying the Knight and half his men, the remaining wizards and archers closed the gate. The battle continued until only the fat temporal wizard, Alaria, remained alive. She pleaded for her life to be spared.
12. Alaria identified the men who hired her as being part of the Brotherhood.
13. They entered the mine and found Greggor with some other miners. Greggor shows them a path recently carved from the mine into the Hellview portal tunnels. They are using the tunnel to subvert the protection which bars them from exiting the portal into Alaria.
14. By the portal, they opened up the wall to reveal a hidden demon temple. Inside, Master De Luccia brings the demon Amendfohl (the same demon that Sir Alistair Glasston fought during the fall of Allaria) back to life. De Luccia Declared, "The time for the Brotherhood of the Bright Eon is once again at hand." The players slay the demon, and De Luccia offers them a deal where everyone just walks away. The players balk, and attack. DeLuccia drops Kruk and threatens to kill the dwarf if they don't leave, but the players press the attack, and kill the brotherhood master as well.
Summary of Events
1. The adventurers return to Geardagas.
Last edited by Tenchuu; Monday, 1st August, 2011 at 10:22 PM.
The adventurers returned to the town of Geardagas, Charina and the others sticking together more out of habit than an agreement at this point. She had found her ears and was ready to collect her reward. Across from the shops was the town hall, where the leader of this town was. There, Charina could collect her reward from him, but what else would she, or any of them say, of the events in the mine.
I don't want to total rail road you guys here, and there are various opportunities to use this information to your advantage. For good or Ill, the only witnesses of what happened in the mine is you all.
So, I'll pause here for your input, to either talk amongst yourself about what to do/say, or to proceed to the Great Hall where Count Edgar Saga awaits you (Hergunna did come back to this town to alert them of some danger, though not terribly specific).
As they travel in the group, Wil begins composing is epic about the adventure...
The barbarian Kane lead the way with his axe,
Charina with her deadly crossbow was next.
Carolina's dagger from the shadows was feared,
and the other axe-wielding dwarf was Skinkbeard.
He frowns and looks at Kruk apologetically.
<cough> Wil drew his bow and let fly with finesse,
and the demons were driven away from their nests.
ah HA...the demons flee from the sink of my beard. Put that in there Wil. ha HA! The dwarf smiles broadly while stoking his beard with his hand. He pauses briefly as he finds something in there that shouldn't be. He then takes it out and flicks it at Kane, all the while, glancing at the bard with mischievous look and a toothy grin.
Characters: Kruk (Lvl 11), Max (Lvl 11), Lerrick (Lvl 6)
Khemnos Eversorrow had followed the rumors to the backwater continent of Allaria, the backwater town of Geardagas. There was little to offer in this, the feeble remains of a once great empire, little but those delicious rumors. He had to play it smart, and not reveal too much of what he knew, but this was no problem; the Count was willing to share all he knew for a chance the mage might help him.
"The Hzaka are bad enough, but now undead, maybe worse," Count Saga said. "I've had an unverified report of demons as well, at Hellview. It should be impossible, the barrier should stop them, but if it is true... no, not again! Never again!" He shouted, pounding his fist on the great table.
"My lord," a servant interrupted, "Men have returned, from Hellview, with word."
The Count replied impatiently, and the servant showed the five adventurers into the Great Hall. The older man was keeping council with a Tiefling mage, who he did not introduce, nor did he dismiss.
"Come, sit, tell me all you know, and you shall be rewarded for it," The count said. "Are you the brave companions Hergunna spoke of? Have the demons returned, truly?"
We are and they have proclaims Wil. He strides up and gives a quick bow. I know little of these demons in particular, but my knowledge of the arcane leads me to believe a group known as the Brotherhood wishes to release them. Wil grins with pride and sure knowledge.