Help with a rogue build please

Borthos

First Post
So I'm playing a new game with the same group I have been for a while and they're stuck on the "mage, healer, melee, rogue" role thing. I got stuck with the rogue. Nothing wrong with that, but I want to spice things up a bit.

For some reason, our DM is insane and gave us a 48 point buy. Not sure why, but hey I'm not complaining. I want this rogue to be fun, but we're limited to PHB only, so I'm thinking greataxe rogue. Maybe something like greatsword rogue? The concept of this guy is that he likes comically big weapons but hates head on combat so he hides in the shadows, jumps out and cuts you in half, and then slinks back in. We're starting level 1 so I want to plan out a build. Any suggestions for feats/race/weapon, anything?

A greatsword does a bit more average damage than a greataxe due to being 2d6 (average 7) versus 1d12 (average 6.5).

A fun variation might entail him using Exotic Weapon Proficiency for Spiked Chain, and then Weapon Finesse. At level 1 this obviously requires a Human, but it lets you focus on Dex instead of balancing it with Strength. You're most likely going to be the skillmonkey so an Int of 14 or so will get you 10 points per level+1 for Human.

See if your DM will allow Weapon Finesse for a first level Rogue, since it technically doesn't qualify due to not having BAB+1 yet. The majority of DM's ignore that issue because it's just not fitting that a Rogue or other similar character can't take it at first.

Dandu

First Post
A two level dip in Ranger gets you MWP for that Greatsword and TWF for free, which allows you to use armor spikes in addition to the sword. You could even make a strength based rogue if you wanted to since the Ranger's TWF has no dexterity prerequisite.

Borthos

First Post
I'm not really going for a TWF, the twf rogue is just a tired idea to me. Forgot about the ranger not needing to meet the prereqs, though.

I'm kinda meh on the spiked chain. I know it's really good but I feel it's just not for this character.

I'm not really going for a TWF, the twf rogue is just a tired idea to me. Forgot about the ranger not needing to meet the prereqs, though.

I'm kinda meh on the spiked chain. I know it's really good but I feel it's just not for this character.
Just a suggestion, no need to use it.

What kind of big honking weapon did you have in mind then? Obviously greataxe/sword is on the list, but have you thought about a guisarme or something? If you want a bit of extra utility then a guisarme is useful to the point of many saying it should be an exotic weapon. Reach, trip, and x3 crit mod is pretty powerful for a standard 2h martial weapon.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Invest in climb and jump. Find as many opportunities as possible to ambush opponents by falling upon them from a great height while Sneak Attacking with your Greatsword.
+1 to attack with high ground!

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Are you limited to PHB only, or core only? My two favorite core rogue races are both in the monster manual (Forest Gnome and Deep Halfling), hence why I ask.

The best rogue in core is probably the flask rogue, though you said you don't want to TWF...

I would look into prestige classes and multiclassing, you can't rely on just sneak attack in core, too much crap is immune and you have no feats or items to let you piss on those immunities. Use Magic Device is always helpful, but pricy to fall back on often.

Would you be willing to do Arcane Trickster? They're probably the best "Rogues" in core. Dipping Shadowdancer for two levels isn't a bad idea, otherwise.

If you do have a martial weapon in mind, pick a race that gives proficiency with it for free or else multiclass with Ranger or something as Dandu suggested. Don't waste a feat on it.

EDIT: To do the hide, jump out and attack, jump back idea, go for Spring Attack and dip Shadowdancer for Hide in Plain Sight, and you're pretty much set.

Remove ads