Mobility based build.

xigbar

Explorer
I'm trying to make a build simply around mobility. I have the image in my head of gliding around, with multiple after image trailing behind, like sort of illusory effect. Obviously, ground based mobility is limiting in D&D, so I want something based mostly to the concept of battlefield control, but based more on being able to keep everything in your area of movement. I know I'm being a bit vague, but, suggestions?

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Try the Ninja linked in my sig with a Setting Sun focus for his maneuver choices. It's all about being mobile and deadly, it actually needs to run or withdraw in order to recover maneuvers readied. The capstone ability to leave an image behind as you dash away invisible was totally ripped from the PS2 Shinobi video game and sounds similar to what you want, too.

xigbar

Explorer
Try the Ninja linked in my sig with a Setting Sun focus for his maneuver choices. It's all about being mobile and deadly, it actually needs to run or withdraw in order to recover maneuvers readied. The capstone ability to leave an image behind as you dash away invisible was totally ripped from the PS2 Shinobi video game and sounds similar to what you want, too.

Wow, that's just about perfect in and of itself, thanks!

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Gah, I never updated it with the Untraceable Ninjutsu Focus. *Fixed* Not sure how useful that is when Darkstalker feat exists, I wasn't are of the feat when I wrote that.

Also, I have a feat for Ninja in the last post of that thread. Glad you like it, though.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
@StreamOfTheSky , you need to enable Experience Points because I wanted to confirm your suggestion as being perfect for what he's looking for. Setting Sun focused builds seem ridiculously fun.
I realize what you've got posted is a homebrew build, but a Swordsage can be used to duplicate the effects @xigbar is talking about.

The specific Maneuvers that might be helpful in a Mobility Swordsage build are:

Setting Sun:

The following maneuvers help you move around the battlefield and/or influence your opponents position-
-Mirrored Pursuit
-Scorpion Parry
-Shifting Defense
-Stalking Shadow
-Step of the Wind
-Ghostly Defense
-Feigned Opening
-Counter Charge
-Clever Positioning
-Tornado Throw

The following maneuvers throw your opponent around the battlefield-
-Ballista Throw
-Comet Throw
-Devastating Throw
-Mighty Throw
-Soaring Throw
-Tornado Throw

Shadow Hand:

The Following Maneuvers help you move around the battlefield-
-Balance on the Sky
-Dance of the Spider
-One with Shadow
-Shadow Blink
-Shadow Jaunt
-Shadow Stride
-Stalker in the Night
-Step of the Dancing Moth
-Child of Shadow

Desert Wind:

The following maneuvers help you move around the battlefield-
-Desert Tempest
-Leaping Flame
-Searing Charge
-Wind Stride
-Ring of Fire
-Rising Phoenix
-Salamander Charge

Stone Dragon:
-Charging Minotaur

These maneuvers will grant you bonuses to speed, flight, teleportation, ignore A.o_O.'s, create unique battlefield control options, deal damage with movement, overcome difficult terrain, and so on, and so on. Read the ToB for the specifics and select to taste! Setting Sun's level 9 Tornado Throw IMHO is the quintessential ability for moving and battlefield damage and control.

There may be more maneuver options, this is what I could find in a quick search.

Last edited:

xigbar

Explorer
@StreamOfTheSky , you need to enable Experience Points because I wanted to confirm your suggestion as being perfect for what he's looking for. Setting Sun focused builds seem ridiculously fun.
I realize what you've got posted is a homebrew build, but a Swordsage can be used to duplicate the effects @xigbar is talking about.

The specific Maneuvers that might be helpful in a Mobility Swordsage build are:

Setting Sun:

The following maneuvers help you move around the battlefield and/or influence your opponents position-
-Mirrored Pursuit
-Scorpion Parry
-Shifting Defense
-Stalking Shadow
-Step of the Wind
-Ghostly Defense
-Feigned Opening
-Counter Charge
-Clever Positioning
-Tornado Throw

The following maneuvers throw your opponent around the battlefield-
-Ballista Throw
-Comet Throw
-Devastating Throw
-Mighty Throw
-Soaring Throw
-Tornado Throw

Shadow Hand:

The Following Maneuvers help you move around the battlefield-
-Balance on the Sky
-Dance of the Spider
-One with Shadow
-Shadow Blink
-Shadow Jaunt
-Shadow Stride
-Stalker in the Night
-Step of the Dancing Moth
-Child of Shadow

Desert Wind:

-Desert Tempest
-Leaping Flame
-Searing Charge
-Wind Stride
-Ring of Fire
-Rising Phoenix
-Salamander Charge

Stone Dragon:
-Charging Minotaur

These maneuvers will grant you bonuses to speed, flight, teleportation, ignore A.o_O.'s, create unique battlefield control options, deal damage with movement, overcome difficult terrain, and so on, and so on. Read the ToB for the specifics and select to taste! Setting Sun's level 9 Tornado Throw IMHO is the quintessential ability for moving and battlefield damage and control.

There may be more maneuver options, this is what I could find in a quick search.

That's also very useful! What would be a good build using a ToB class as a base? I really would like to use Streamofthesky's Ninja sometime, but for this game, something with an official source is better.

xigbar

Explorer
[MENTION=85158]Dandu[/MENTION]; I remember you posted the Chuck E. Cheese build somewhere, and that build you posted just now is very helpful as well. Actually, Chuck was the first thing I though but I'm looking for agility and nimbleness, more like the one you posted just now, so thanks for that. Does anyone know any PrC's that would help this theme of rapid battlefield movement?

Remove ads