The Shackled City - Golarion Prelude

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
As the inn explodes into chaos around him, Val stares mournfully into his drink. Well, at least it's not a good ale that I'm not getting to enjoy. The lithe Aasimar rises casually from his seat and moves to help the others gather goods and supplies. As he moves, he loosens his rapier in its scabbard, then cocks and loads his crossbow.

Now prepared, he begins helping the evacuation efforts. Everywhere he goes, Val makes sure he has a kind or encouraging word and a slap on the back for everyone else involved. He keeps a smile on his face and quickly moves to diffuse any mounting conflict among the affected.

Dragonwriter

First Post
Marcus resists the urge to spit on Adofo. He growls quietly, muttering at the man's back "Nor will I, you self-centered pig-faced mongrel."

He sets to work, helping the older man with the food supplies in particular.

Walking Dad

First Post
Wilbur

Wilbur stops eating and prepares to leave, taking his backpack.

"It is dark out there. If you want I can conjure some light to let us see farther." He says, summoning an eldritch glow on the wooden spoon in his hand, the color of... you are not sure. You know it is a color, but not one you have ever seen before...

[sblock=OOC]
Wilbur 2
Wilbur Warrington

I assume no one speaks Aklo. May I change the curse to Tongues? Babbling madman is a very good fit ;)

---

Perception is only +1 (no racial bonus bonus, no ranks). As I said, skills are unfinished and I have currently Internet troubles. Sorry.

[/sblock]

jkason

First Post
Caytis Maggerin, half-elf magus

Caytis finds himself a bit flummoxed by the roil of activity. He pulls his shortbow off his back, though, as Wilber casts his illumination cantrip, and follows the others outside to check on the situation and lend aid, whether martial or manual (loading supplies).

"Nia, these fire critters, what draws them? I don't suppose they're like moths? I know a trick like Wilbur's, and I'm wondering if we might be able to use it to distract the things..."

OOC: To clarify, Caytis is suggesting casting light on something(s) as a means of drawing the swarm's attention.

Shayuri

First Post
"De swarm is not drawn, it is provoked," Nia says darkly. "It be how dey defend de hive when it is attacked. But dis far from a hive, dey may be smellin' food too."

She points at the caravan. "Move dem wagons away, and empty de kitchens, and maybe you ken turn dem. Maybe not. If dey still angrier dan hungry, dey ignore food and kill de living instead."

ahayford

First Post
The remaining merchants and their subordinates allow themselves to be shepherded out of the inn, whether more from fear of a crazy wildling girl or the threat of the insect swarm is unclear. Tamecia rounds up her girls and follows close behind, pausing only to grab an old gnarled staff from the kitchen.

As you enter the cooling night air, It is obvious that time is short. The once soft insect song has become a savage roar. The cacophony of thousands of insects drowns out all the normal night sounds. The glow over the forest has become almost a false dawn, as jungle wildlife continues to emerge from the trees ahead of the oncoming swarm. The outpost guards, finally roused from their complacency by Orin, Adofo, and his guards, have taken positions near the west gate, and are peering curiously into the jungle. Further up the road out the west gate, you can see that Adofo has sent two men ahead to investigate the jungle edge.

Maavu moves to the east side of the courtyard and yells for his workers to start remounting his cargo. Motivated by the wail of insects and Maavu’s screaming, the porters leap to their feat and get to work. You see other merchants doing the same. Garthun’s men, on the west side of the courtyard, stand idle unsure what to do in their master’s absence. Tamecia screams at Orin while waving for her girls to get into a horse cart.

Marcus begins lifting large sacks of rice two at a time onto his shoulders, and then onto Maavu’s pack animals, while his worker’s rapidly try to harness them up. Valinnan lends a hand where it is needed, tightening a harness strap here, and helping a crate up onto an animal there...always with an encouraging word. Nai, Caytis, Svexyn, and Wilbur look for a way to distract the swarm...Wilbur leading the way with his glowing spoon. They discover a stash of firewood, cooking oil, some boards and roof panels used to repair the inn, basic tools, copious amounts of hay, some nails, and a well stocked meat larder.

However, time has run out.

At that moment, a cascade of chittering insects erupts from the jungle edge like a wild river. Thousands of dimly glowing bodies crawl over each other to get ahead of the pack. Each fist sized beetle smolders and twinkles like the dying embers of a campire. Amongst the swarm you can see the larger and brighter adult sized fire beetles floating on the river of beetles like saling ships on a stormy sea. The tide of insects washes over Adofo’s forward guardsmen. Their screams are mercifully drowned out by the screech of the swarm as beetles continue to poor from the jungle’s open wound.

On the open road, the swarm seems to loose some cohesion. Several small tributaries break off, one heading further up the road to the west, the bulk crossing the road to the south, and a large arm heads toward the open front gate of The Lucky Monkey. Orin, Adofo, and the remaining guards have frozen in the face of the oncoming tsunami.

OOC: You have approximately 30 seconds (5 rounds) before the swarm is upon the Lucky Monkey. Garthun’s workers and wagons are housed on the west side of the courtyard near the gate, while Maavu’s cargo is on the east side. The remaining free merchants are scattered between each side as well as along the north wall. Tamecia and her girls are along the north wall trying to get into a wagon. Tamecia is attempting to quickly hitch a draft horse while her girls clamber inside. None of Maavus’ cargo is finished loading, and his workers will require 10 minutes to get fully loaded. 5 minutes will load about half the cargo. Garthuns workers are panicking without leadership and are threatening to run. The courtyard is approximately 50 yards square and requires about 2 full move rounds to cross west to east or north to south. The Main building of the inn is along the south wall. The party is currently located at the east wall with Maavu and his caravan

Walking Dad

First Post
Wilbur

"Sorry, I'm not strong enough to help carrying much...
Anyone else got a better idea than just running?

Oh, and I sometimes speak... strange than I'm exited and not good at understanding anyone. But my mind is still clear, so give me a sign if you have an idea what I should do."
Wilbur asks the others, weighting the options in his mind and explaining his 'condition'.

[sblock=OOC]
Wilbur 2
Wilbur Warrington

I assume no one speaks Aklo. May I change the curse to Tongues? Babbling madman is a very good fit ;)

---

Perception is only +1 (no racial bonus bonus, no ranks). As I said, skills are unfinished and I have currently Internet troubles. Sorry.

[/sblock]

Shayuri

First Post
Wood...oil...meat... The beginnings of an idea start swirling in Nia's head, and she latches onto them like an angry badger. There was no time for pondering. They had less than a minute!

"You!" she said, pointing at Caytis. "And you and you," now indicating Svexyn and Wilbur, "Move dis wood to just outside de front gate! And de oil!"

She whirled and rushed over to Orin and Adofo. "You two! Help me move de meat from de closet over to here!"

If they don't respond, she gives them each a smack with the blunt end of her spear to wake them up and repeats, "Come wit' me if you want to live!" and hurries off to the larder to start manhandling slabs of meat back to the gate.

(OOC - She means to pile the meat a little ways in front of the gate and then circle it with firewood...as well as put some firewood on and in the meat. All the wood gets oiled, as does the meat. When the bugs come, she's hoping they'll pause to eat...forming a big knot of bugs all right there. Then we light it up, killing a lot of bugs, and making an unpleasant area near the gate that she hopes will slow their advance enough to let us get out.)

Dragonwriter

First Post
Marcus rushes to Garthun's men and shouts, "Get to work, load those carts! You, you and you," he says, pointing to three of the workers, "go and help with the wood!" The warrior then runs back across to Maavu's caravan and loads up more of the needed food as fast as he can.

[sblock=OOC]
Yeah, busy weekend here as well, plus thinking on just what to do...
[/sblock]

jkason

First Post
Caytis Maggerin, half-elf magus

Caytis, knowing nothing about the vermin making their way to them, defers to Nia's experience. He grabs as much wood and oil as he can haul and puts them where the wild woman indicates, keeping one eye on the approaching swarm the whole time...

Remove ads