The Wayfinders - The Wreck of the Archon

Shayuri

First Post
"I can fly as well," Whisper says quietly, as if afraid the things below will overhear. Grudgingly she then admits, "I suppose avoiding conflict is best for now..."

SelcSilverhand

First Post
With all of you watching, Henrick shudders and visibly pulls himself together. He nods to Midian and says, "You're right. We can't run. They'll chase us. Lets just... get moving." Midian casts his spider climbing spell on the group before moving out.

As quietly as you can you move down the walkway over the darkened warehouse. The gruesome sounds from below grow louder as you pass over the epicenter of activity around the maw. Upon reaching the overgrown section of walkway you reach out and carefully grip the wall with your sticky hands and feet. Crawling on hands and knees while hanging to a vertical wall in the darkness is a dizzying experience but luckily you don't have to go far before you are clear of the worst of the infestation. Each of the tumor growths tremble slightly as you pass close by but don't otherwise show any signs of danger. You are able to return to the walkway at the landing before the door. Doral peers carefully through the window and nods the all clear. Carefully he picks the simple lock on the door and pushes it open. You hurry inside while he shuts it again behind you. The room you are in looks to be a warehouse manager's office. A large cabinet fall over when the city crashed and knocked a fair sized hole in the wall. Through it you can see stars and the streets of the upper city. You make your way out into the open and breathe the fresh air once again. Henrick drops to his knees and sobs softly in relief.

OOC
[SBLOCK]
Would you like to rest and recover spells, press on to the earth shard, or any other actions?
[/SBLOCK]

jkason

First Post
Midian Rightson, human druid

Midian sighs as he sees the outside again, and can breathe in the fresh air. He gives Henrick a sympathetic look, but does nothing to jostle the man.

"Our new friend here's not the only one who's exhausted," Midian says. "If we can find a good alcove, I can cast my masking spell like last night, so we can get some rest before we move on."

[sblock=ooc]It seems like a good rest / recover point to me, but I'll go along if the other want to press forward.

As yesterday, Midian prepared Hide Campsite, so if they gather together reasonably snugly, they should be undetectable while they recover.

[sblock=mini-stats]Full Sheet
Code:
[b]HP:[/b] 66/66      
[b]AC:[/b] 21        [b]AC(T):[/b] 14    [b]AC(FF):[/b] 18 
Wildshape base AC: 15
Medium/Huge Animal AC: 17
Medium Magical Beast AC: 19
Medium Air Elemental AC: 20, Darkvision 60', fly 60 (perfect), from Ref +4 bump: Reflex save to +8, CMD to 24
Medium Water Elemental: AC 20, Fort save: +11, +2 HP / level (con bump), Darkvision 60', Swim 60'

Conditions:  
 Midian: Ant Haul (16 hours): new Carrying Capacity limits: 174, 348, 525
 Full Party: Negate Aroma & Pass Without Trace (both 8 hours), 
 Doral & Kraken: Water Breathing (8 hours each)

[b]Init:[/b] +02
[b]BAB:[/b] +6/+1     [b]CMB/CMD:[/b] +8/22     [b]ACP:[/b] -3 (Wildshape: 0)    
[b]Perception:[/b] +17

Saving Throw    Base   Mod   Misc*  Total
Fort:            06     1     +2    +9      
Ref:             02     2     +2    +6       
Will:            06     6     +2    +14

* Cloak +2
Conditional: +4 vs. spell-like fey & plant effects (Resist Nature's Lure)
Resist Cold 10

[b]Weapon                  Attack   Damage     Critical[/b]
Shortspear................+8.....1d6+2.........x2
Shortspear, full attack...+8/+3..1d6+2/1d6+2...x2
Shortspear, thrown........+8.....1d6+1.........x2, range 20'
Sling.....................+8.....1d4+2.........x2, range 50'
Sling, full attack........+8/+3..1d4+2/1d4+2...x2, range 50'

Special: +1d6 cold damage on slam attacks in Water Elemental form (shard exposure).

[b]Surge:[/b] 6/9 remaining (CMB +14)

Magical Feats: Spell Focus (Conj), Augment Summoning, Natural Spell

[b]Spells:[/b]
0st Level / DC16/17 6 Day : Create Water, Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Mending, Stabilize, Spark
1st Level / DC17/18 4+2+D Day : Detect Aberration, Liberating Command, [s]Negate Aroma[/s], [s]Pass Without Trace[/s], Ray of Sickening, [s]Ant Haul[/s], Obscuring Mist (D)
2nd Level / DC18/19 3+2+D Day : Delay Poison, Soften Earth and Stone, Stone Call, **Frigid Touch, Resist Energy, Slipstream (D)
3rd Level / DC19/20 3+1+D Day : Hide Campsite, Aqueous Orb, [s]Spider Climb (Communal)[/s], **Call Lightning*, [s]Water Walk[/s] (D)
4th Level / DC20/21 2+1+D Day : [s]Freedom of Movement[/s], Dispel Magic, [s]**Ball Lightning[/s], [s]Control Water[/s] (D)

* attuned to empowered spell shard
** Eberron shard can recall evocation spells up to 4th level: 2/2 remaining

[b]Wand charges:[/b] 27/28 remaining.
[b]Wild Shape:[/b] 2/3 remaining

Used: Scroll of Water Breathing[/sblock]

jkason

First Post
Midian Rightson, human druid

Midian sighs as he sees the outside again, and can breathe in the fresh air. He gives Henrick a sympathetic look, but does nothing to jostle the man.

"Our new friend here's not the only one who's exhausted," Midian says. "If we can find a good alcove, I can cast my masking spell like last night, so we can get some rest before we move on."

[sblock=ooc]It seems like a good rest / recover point to me, but I'll go along if the other want to press forward.

As yesterday, Midian prepared Hide Campsite, so if they gather together reasonably snugly, they should be undetectable while they recover.

[sblock=mini-stats]Full Sheet
Code:
[b]HP:[/b] 66/66      
[b]AC:[/b] 21        [b]AC(T):[/b] 14    [b]AC(FF):[/b] 18 
Wildshape base AC: 15
Medium/Huge Animal AC: 17
Medium Magical Beast AC: 19
Medium Air Elemental AC: 20, Darkvision 60', fly 60 (perfect), from Ref +4 bump: Reflex save to +8, CMD to 24
Medium Water Elemental: AC 20, Fort save: +11, +2 HP / level (con bump), Darkvision 60', Swim 60'

Conditions:  
 Midian: Ant Haul (16 hours): new Carrying Capacity limits: 174, 348, 525
 Full Party: Negate Aroma & Pass Without Trace (both 8 hours), 
 Doral & Kraken: Water Breathing (8 hours each)

[b]Init:[/b] +02
[b]BAB:[/b] +6/+1     [b]CMB/CMD:[/b] +8/22     [b]ACP:[/b] -3 (Wildshape: 0)    
[b]Perception:[/b] +17

Saving Throw    Base   Mod   Misc*  Total
Fort:            06     1     +2    +9      
Ref:             02     2     +2    +6       
Will:            06     6     +2    +14

* Cloak +2
Conditional: +4 vs. spell-like fey & plant effects (Resist Nature's Lure)
Resist Cold 10

[b]Weapon                  Attack   Damage     Critical[/b]
Shortspear................+8.....1d6+2.........x2
Shortspear, full attack...+8/+3..1d6+2/1d6+2...x2
Shortspear, thrown........+8.....1d6+1.........x2, range 20'
Sling.....................+8.....1d4+2.........x2, range 50'
Sling, full attack........+8/+3..1d4+2/1d4+2...x2, range 50'

Special: +1d6 cold damage on slam attacks in Water Elemental form (shard exposure).

[b]Surge:[/b] 6/9 remaining (CMB +14)

Magical Feats: Spell Focus (Conj), Augment Summoning, Natural Spell

[b]Spells:[/b]
0st Level / DC16/17 6 Day : Create Water, Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Mending, Stabilize, Spark
1st Level / DC17/18 4+2+D Day : Detect Aberration, Liberating Command, [s]Negate Aroma[/s], [s]Pass Without Trace[/s], Ray of Sickening, [s]Ant Haul[/s], Obscuring Mist (D)
2nd Level / DC18/19 3+2+D Day : Delay Poison, Soften Earth and Stone, Stone Call, **Frigid Touch, Resist Energy, Slipstream (D)
3rd Level / DC19/20 3+1+D Day : Hide Campsite, Aqueous Orb, [s]Spider Climb (Communal)[/s], **Call Lightning*, [s]Water Walk[/s] (D)
4th Level / DC20/21 2+1+D Day : [s]Freedom of Movement[/s], Dispel Magic, [s]**Ball Lightning[/s], [s]Control Water[/s] (D)

* attuned to empowered spell shard
** Eberron shard can recall evocation spells up to 4th level: 2/2 remaining

[b]Wand charges:[/b] 27/28 remaining.
[b]Wild Shape:[/b] 2/3 remaining

Used: Scroll of Water Breathing[/sblock]

Shayuri

First Post
Whisper takes a seat with her back to a wall where she can see the hole leading out.

"Rest is fine... I'm starting to wonder though, if this thing is purely a corruption born of the Mourning. There are many creatures who are strangely affected, even mutated, but this seems like a thing of an entirely different order."

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
"I concur with the idea of notable respite, and share in the party's concern that we may have pushed ourselves too hard and too far during our recent bouts. I am willing to take the first watch, after proper defenses are made." Doral offers politely. "Whisper, I cannot help but wonder whether this is not a secondary effect of the Mourning; perhaps an alien presence being able to enter our world due to the magics and death released that day."

Last edited:

Dr Simon

Explorer
Kraken stretches his shoulders out, to the sound of creaking tendons.

"I've never been so grateful to see the stars, eh?" he says. "Whatever that thing is and wherever it comes from, I'll be glad to see the back of it. I thought those deadfella wulgaru on Tempest Isle were bad enough, but at least you could tell where their heads were."

SelcSilverhand

First Post
The noises of the infected crewmen on the other side of the door makes the warehouse office an uncomfortable place to camp out. You spend a few minutes scouting up and down the street until you spot a low building that looks intact. Doral moves in and checks the door. He hears a noise on the other side. Moving out of the way he nods to Kraken who pushes the door open with a falchion at the ready. Midian and Whisper move in close behind with hands ready to invoke their magics. Henrick stays well behind and brings up the rear.

Inside you find yourself in a small craftsman shop. It looks like the owner repaired textiles and leather equipment. The walls are still hung with Brelish uniforms, decorations, boots, and other military gear. There are saddles, sheaths, quivers, caps, and leather straps on the other half of the shop. There are no windows and the room is lit only by the dim starlight from the doorway outside. A soft, repetitive *scritch scritch* sound comes from somewhere in the back of the room. A quick search near the doorway reveals a decorative plate nearby. Pressing your hand against it causes magelights scattered about the ceiling to illuminate, though dimly as though they were drained of energy. The sound pauses for a long moment then resumes. You advance carefully, expecting more of the mutated rat creatures from the warehouses. As you close in, Kraken leaps onto the top of a work bench, poised to descend with his blade, Whisper and Midian angle for a clear line of sight, while Doral checks the corners for reinforcements!

Behind the far counter you see a small figure, barely reaching the height of your knees, over near a corner. The figure is completely mechanical and humanoid in shape with two arms, legs, and a head. Moving gears mark its joints combined with springs and wire. It looks to be constructed from mostly brass though it has long ago lost its shine. Its eyes glow slightly with a blue light. A heavy wooden table covered in tools has fallen over and pinned one of the constructs legs beneath it. The figure holds the remnants of a wooden broom with a few bristles still poking out around the stub. The floor around it has been meticulously swept clean to the point where grooves have been worn into the floor. It looks up at you for a long moment before returning to sweep slowly, the wooden stub making the *scritch scritch* sound.

The rest of the room looks clear, with no other entrances other than the one you entered. There are no signs of any other living occupants and from the dust on the rest of the surfaces it doesn't look like the place has been visited at all. The clothes are in good condition and may even make for a comfortable mattress if piled up. It seems like as good of a place as any to rest.

jkason

First Post
Midian has to stifle a laugh when their careful preparation leads the party to ambush a hapless construct.

"I've never been so happy to see an automaton," he says, then frowns. "We should probably see if there's a way to turn the poor thing off, though. For its own sake as well as ours. The less noise we make and all that?"

Midian glances to Doral on this note, raising an eyebrow. "I know plants and animals better than anything mechanical. Any ideas.?"

The druid helps to clear the proper space in the building, and makes clear everyone is settled and well aware of the boundaries of his spell before he uses the magics which will mask their campsite.

"If it's too tight in here, I can always take a smaller form," the druid offers before they all settle down. "So long as no one rolls over or swats me in the night," he adds with a dry smile.

[sblock=ooc]I think we all fit last time, but Midian can always wildshape to tiny or diminutive if need be. Spell will last longer than we'll need to rest, so we should be fine on watches.[/sblock]

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Doral answers, "Discovering a shut down switch should not be overly difficult, and I would very much enjoy keeping such a machine as a momento of sorts to enjoy upon our return. Likely it is too large and fragile for travel, sadly." The beguiler looks over the machine in order to determine its usefulness and whether or not it can be disabled. Then he offers to take the first watch.

OOC: 1d20+14=31
31 on Disable Device.

Remove ads