Is anybody else seeing C&C here?

gyor

Legend
So far I think the influences are on it come from all editions, spinoffs like cc and pathfinder, and even from,farther afield like nwod. I mean the flexiblity actually reminds me of new world if darkness, only more so.

Dice4Hire

First Post
Yeah, ideas are not specific to one game or the other. Parts will look like parts of other games like it has in every edition.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
I'm a huge fan of C&C, so to hear that D&D is following along a similar model is good news.

One of the selling points of C&C is that you can add on whatever you want at will, or just stick with the core. Sounds like modules, right? So if you want non-weapon proficiencies, you got it. If you want a 3e or 4e skill system, you got it. All you have to do is work it in with the SIEGE engine.

I imagine that 5e will have more core material than C&C, with a built-in skill and feat system. It sounds like themes are optional too. So it sounds like C&C with a little more oomph.

Melhaic

First Post
I came from the transcript page to specifically start a thread about C&C and attribute based skills...congrats for beating on the punch. I actually just got the rules set and am not terribly familiar with it, but when I started reading the C&C PHB I found myself nodding in agreement with its simple effectiveness. If the new iteration follows in its footsteps and adds a few more "complex" rules modules I'm on board 100%.

The whole Prime/character based DCs seem a little wonky for me, so if WoTC use the same sort of system w/ flexible DCs and bonuses to the rolls I'll be in love. This, to me, is the heart of "Old School":Quick, fluid, rulings (not rules) based play. The more power that is given back to the DM in play, the better.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
To those not familiar with the retro-clone, all saves are based on abilities, that are either Primed (things that you are good at) or not. This changes the DC of a given roll. If something is a class feature (say, sneaking for a thief), you get a bonus to it equal to your level.

I don't know C&C, but it doesn't exactly sound far from Star Wars Saga Edition skills, either. It isn't like 3e where the number of skill points you spend on a skill equals the bonus you're getting. In SWSE, at creation you get trained in a skill, or not. If you are trained, you get a +5 on the check.

There are other systems too, where skill training is binary - either you are trained or you are not.

Droogie

Explorer
To me if fells a little like the dragon age RPG.

The skill system, certainly. Dragon Age weighs heavily on its attribute scores, with a +2 to the roll if you have a "focus". Thing is, in DA, your attributes increase fairly regularly, whereas the seminar implies that attribute gains are going to slow down a bit. Wonder how that will shake out.

Gary N. Mengle

First Post
I am not getting this vibe, so much. I see where it's coming from, given the stat roll business that's about all we've heard so far that sounds concrete. I would be delighted should it prove to be the case, though, since C&C is not only a great game but a great version-neutral iteration of D&D; you can plug almost any D&D item (save 4e) into it with very little work, so I think it would be a natural target to aim at.

I think, given the limited info we have, that 5e is currently still very much of a cipher. People are seeing hints of things that are slightly similar to stuff they like (or in some cases stuff they don't like) and subconsciously filling in the blanks and convincing themselves that this what the game will be like.

I'm guessing that a lot of these ideas will be dispelled as more information becomes public.

Weregrognard

First Post
I think it's more of a case of similar design principles:

- Evokes "classic" D&D
- Modular/compatible with nearly all D&D editions
- Easy to run/play

That said, the idea of using attributes for saves, which was mentioned in the seminar, is straight up C&C :D

I do hope they stick with these principles. My fear is that it's so early in the design/playtest process that things will change drastically towards "improving" the game, and these principles will be left behind on the cutting room floor :(

Remove ads