Ardent of 9 disciplines

Duke Arioch

First Post
Anyone can point me to, or concoct a a decent build combining Ardent (CPsi) and Bo9S?
The guidelines are:
1. No less than 10 ardent levels (ACF of lvl 10 is too good);
2. Hopefully full manifester level using practiced manifester, which means 4-5 levels of dips;
3. Build should be a gish OR tank (probably Synad for 1st, Elan for second);
4. Maybe 1 lvl dip into erudite for Psy crystal and bonus feat;
5. No homebrew PrCs or classes.

I know it is a tough job, I am stuck at it for some time. I am trying to make this one for fun, and not to be used in play, so every book and/or magazine is open (just no homebrew).

I am really having trouble of making this work, and however I look at it, a couple of lvls in, say warlock/cleric/something else, seems to be better than this, and less feat intensive at that. Am I missing something? Is it even possible?

Duke Arioch

First Post
Read it and re-read it several times. Sadly nothing there to help me with this build. Only basic Ardent info.
And, the only initiator builds there are made with homebrew classes (Psyonic JPM, Psi Abjurant Champion, etc.)

emoplato

First Post
Well, if you want to maximize metapsionic stacking, you could look into an Anarchic Initiate. With metapower you can reduce the cost by four plus with wild surge(3?) and chaotic surge you can easily get three or more effects on top of the power manifested. An interesting idea for variety would be to get the Magic mantle basically you get the magic domain power(UMD) and your effects affect magic just as well as psionic.
A solid tank combo that could be used with Tome of Battle would be Iron Heart surge+Timeless body(Law Mantle). This also may work to some extent with the time mantle power but basically the point is ignore durational afflictions and end them the next round. The Law Mantle also generally offers some solid tanking abilities. Both of those mantles and that single manuever could render you almost unkillable.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
The unique thing about multiclassing Tome of Battle classes is the 'All other levels of classes count as 1/2 level' (ToB p.39 under Multiclass Characters)

This means, a single level of Crusader, lets say, taken at level 17, gives you access to maneuvers as if you were a level 9 Crusader (1/2 of 16 = 8, +1 at level 17). This gives you up to 5th level Maneuvers with a single level dip.

So, take one level of Swordsage at level 13 to get access to six maneuvers up to 4th level, one level of Crusader to get 5 sweet Devoted spirit maneuvers up to 5th level. The remaining 18 levels Ardent.

Duke Arioch

First Post
Thx for answering. Emoplato, I played Ardent with Anarchic Initiate as blaster, melee damage. What I wanted here is to combine Bo9S with Psionics, however. Your ideas are good, and if was to play a psionic character, I would definitely go that path again XD The tanking part is helpful, and if I went that way, I would probably use Warblade dip for iron heart goodies.

Rumbletiger, I am aware of initiator lvl dogma, and that is the main reason I am trying to get this thing working. But, is taking two martial adept classes better than dipping into one for more than one lvl? Which should you go with? SS, wb or crus?

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Thx for answering. Emoplato, I played Ardent with Anarchic Initiate as blaster, melee damage. What I wanted here is to combine Bo9S with Psionics, however. Your ideas are good, and if was to play a psionic character, I would definitely go that path again XD The tanking part is helpful, and if I went that way, I would probably use Warblade dip for iron heart goodies.

Rumbletiger, I am aware of initiator lvl dogma, and that is the main reason I am trying to get this thing working. But, is taking two martial adept classes better than dipping into one for more than one lvl? Which should you go with? SS, wb or crus?

At level 1, a Swordsage knows 6 maneuvers. At level 2, a Swordsage learns 1 more maneuver.

At level 1, a Crusader knows 5 maneuvers. at level 2, he still only knows 5 maneuvers. At level 3, he finally gains another maneuver.

One level of Swordsage and one level of Crusader knows 11 maneuvers.

Warblade knows 3 maneuvers at level 3. Not as useful.

If you really want to capitalize on the Tome of Battle classes, then take a lot of levels. If you want to dip, a single dip in Crusader and a single dip in Swordsage at the higher levels will get you the most bang for your buck for a level 20 character. It will not be as practical if you're making a character that you'll start playing with at level 1, and will likely achieve level 20 in 2 years worth of playing. In a high level campaign starting at level 15 or more, could be groovy.

Remove ads