Worn/Accessory Arcane Implement?

OnlineDM

Adventurer
It doesn't matter to me. This is YOUR game, not mine. I'm not advocating that your DM has to restrict things; if you have a permissive DM, then you're good to go! I'm just telling you how I personally run things at my table; yours will definitely be different.

Now, if you're looking for help in making an argument to your DM that this should be allowed mechanically, well, I'm no help to you because I feel differently. But others might have suggestions.

TAKERU

First Post
My DM is moderately permissive; thus he hasn't allowed us to pick backgrounds, but gave me plenty of room to define a number of other factors. However, even IF he was allowing me to use fluff to make my dagger as gauntlet, that's not what I am looking for. I want a mechanically legal form to make it work as I would like.

That's why I'd like some help from you all. Not to make someone angry because he/she has a different viewpoint. If there's a strong reason I would NOT try to wear my dagger, I'd like to know, since I am also strict about rules and fairness of the game.

If I somehow managed to upset someone, my apologies. Everybody's help is equally welcome, but if we stick to the "yes, it is legal and possible/no, there's not a legal way to do it" idea, would help a lot more.

nogray

Adventurer
Only thing I can think of is getting hold of a Pact Blade Spiked Gauntlet or Wrist Razor, but that would mean losing out on incendiary, of course.

Since you have likely already used arcane implement proficiency to gain "light blade" (or "dagger") as a proficient implement type, you are pretty well set to sort of implement (pun slightly intended) Sound of Azure's solution. (I'm basing this on the fact that the default warlock isn't proficient with implements other than wand and rod, and wizard only adds tome, staff, and orb to that list. That means you must have picked up the ability to use the dagger as an implement prior to gaining the superior implement training with the incendiary dagger.)

If that is true, then use some weapon enchant on a light blade, either the Wrist Razor -- which occupies the arm slot -- or the Spiked Shield -- which doesn't occupy a slot when enchanted as a weapon. (Technically, the spiked gauntlet doesn't work, as that is in the unarmed group, not the light blade group.) You can retrain the superior implement feat for incendiary dagger to shield proficiency pretty easily, if you take the defensive option of using a spiked shield. (It's also not much of a stretch to refluff a spiked shield as a gauntlet of some sort.) The wrist razor is still a possibility if you really want the hands-free option, and it may save a feat (to my knowledge, you don't need the weapon proficiency to use the implement, which I am already using to avoid taking the weapon proficiency with the spiked shield).

If you're looking to keep the incendiary dagger, then I believe you have found pretty much the only way to make it work via Dynamic Weapon.

TAKERU

First Post
Well, I see something there taht bugs me about Dynamic Weapons.

Seems to me, if you use RAW, one can keep the new form as long as he wishes, since the text only says "Or untill you end it as a minor action". There is no "wichever comes first" at the end, what makes me think that the same can be understood by RAI too.

That said, does anybody know if there's any official answer to that question? I would be glad to know.

About the Spiked Shield trick... what if I put it in my back like a backpack (Spiked Turtle? Bowser?), it would still count as using it?

Thanks again in advance!

TAKERU

First Post
Well, I see something there taht bugs me about Dynamic Weapons.

Seems to me, if you use RAW, one can keep the new form as long as he wishes, since the text only says "Or untill you end it as a minor action". There is no "wichever comes first" at the end, what makes me think that the same can be understood by RAI too.

That said, does anybody know if there's any official answer to that question? I would be glad to know.

Thanks again in advance!

And abou that? Any words?

Saagael

First Post
I'm guessing there isn't any official word on that, and that its something you'd have to talk with your DM about. Still, the best way of having an empty hand to cast from, mechanically speaking, is to multiclass into an assassin or monk and use a ki focus, or to multiclass into a divine class and use a holy symbol. Both of those don't take up a magic item slot and can be described as anything you want.

Ryujin

Legend
Star of Corellon: A holy symbol that can also be used as an implement, by arcane power source users. Starts at level 8/+2.

*EDIT* My own take, for the cool factor, was to pick up swords as an implement. Screw Swordmages; nothing can match a Warlock who is tossing necrotic fire rings from his longsword.

Last edited:

TAKERU

First Post
I just found something curious about wear-able light blades. There are Climbing Claws, aside from being a magical tool for climbing, it is considered an off-hand prof+2 simple light blade for a d4 damage. There are no reference about even using an action (not even free action) to put out the blades, making it a cosmetic way to add a bonus to a skill and providing a tertiary weapon.

BUT, there's no reference about them being enchantable as weapons/implements. What comes to a couple of interesting questions:

a) An enchanted item can be also enchanted with another enchantment? That case, the light blade portion of the Climbing Claws? There's no statement saying it's not possible, and seems pointless to add an entry to all light blades saying they are enchantable or not...?

b) Mage's Weapon enchantment states that "anyone proficient with simple weapons or the dagger is proficient with this weapon", noting below (again) "Proficient As: Dagger". Does it qualify a Sorcerer for using another kind of bladed weapon as her implement, since it's treated as a dagger?

Yeah, I know it's a lot of questions, and I know also I am going to pay a lot (lv4 item for Climbing Gloves, plus the enchantment for Mage's Weapon) just for wearing a glove as my signature weapon/implement. But so, the fluff is just okay, and I am strict about what's officially possible, even tough I am not that good about the rules.

Thanks Again in advance!

Saagael

First Post
a) An enchanted item can be also enchanted with another enchantment? That case, the light blade portion of the Climbing Claws? There's no statement saying it's not possible, and seems pointless to add an entry to all light blades saying they are enchantable or not...?

You cannot put two enchantments on a single item. The climbing claws are a magic item, and thus, cannot have another enchantment (i.e. magic weapon enchantment) also put on them. They are merely a hands item that can be used as a melee weapon.

b) Mage's Weapon enchantment states that "anyone proficient with simple weapons or the dagger is proficient with this weapon", noting below (again) "Proficient As: Dagger". Does it qualify a Sorcerer for using another kind of bladed weapon as her implement, since it's treated as a dagger?

That is correct, a Mage's Weapon can be any heavy or light blade, and any class uses simple weapons or daggers can use it as an implement. However, as I stated above, you can't put a Mage's Weapon enchantment on Climbing Claws, since that's 2 magic enchantments on a single item, and that's not allowed.

You could use a Mage's Weapon with the Wrist Razor's, which occupy your arm slot and count as a weapon.

What I'm curious of is why you NEED to have the implement be an empty hand. It seems that the, as I said before, the easiest way to achieve what you want is to use a ki focus or holy symbol. They allow you to use your empty hand to cast spells, and don't require you to jump through hoops to get the right magic weapon and spend 2 or 3 feats becoming proficient.

Is there any reason why you don't want to do this?

Remove ads