• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Worn/Accessory Arcane Implement?

TAKERU

First Post
Greetings once more, long time no see!

I came to ask about something is bugging me since I first played 4e with a Warlock - using knives and sticks are not cool as implements!

I *really* wanted something I could use something like a Spiked Gauntlet, a jewel, ring, necklace or anything that could be worn in the body as an arcane implement. My best options are glove-like ones, since it's far more cooler to cast a flaming ball with your open palms than doing that with a knife.

I searched for a way to do that (I am now playing as an Tiefling Fire Elementalist), turning my Incendiary Dynamic Dagger into a Spiked Gauntlet (thus not changing the true nature of the implement as conduit of power). Shamely, Dynamic Weapon only lasts a battle, returning to its former shape as soon as the battle is over, and requiring a minor action everytime a new battle starts to rechange its shape.

So, does anybody knows any way to make something worn to count as an arcane implement? Since I am already multiclassing into Wizard and the DM does not allow using *any* form of background (including themes), Ki Foci are out of the game for me.

Thanks in advance!

the Jester

Legend
IIRC you can wear a holy symbol. Other than that, no, and I wouldn't go for it as a dm, personally. However, you can always cast without your implement and forfeit any implement-based bonuses if you want.

Part of the balance of implement classes is that you still need something in your hand- a tool- if you want to get bonuses for your magic implement.

OnlineDM

Adventurer
I'll agree with the Jester on the balance question; the approach you're advocating would give you an extra hand free, which is a meaningful mechanical advantage. However, if someone in my game wanted their dagger implement to instead be a gauntlet for fluff reasons, I'd totally allow it. I'd rule that they couldn't use the implement if their hand was full, but that if they wanted to describe their magic implement as being something other than a dagger or rod, that works for me!

For all mechanical purposes, you have to treat it as being wielded in the hand (or else find some way to compensate for the fact that you've just given the warlock a third hand). But for descriptive purposes, go nuts!

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
Only thing I can think of is getting hold of a Pact Blade Spiked Gauntlet or Wrist Razor, but that would mean losing out on incendiary, of course.

Spatula

Explorer
I'm not sure what backgrounds or themes have to do with using a ki focus. Take a multiclass feat (like Shadow Initiate or Vampirism) that gives you proficiency with ki focus and use that.

Kynn

Adventurer
I'm not sure what backgrounds or themes have to do with using a ki focus. Take a multiclass feat (like Shadow Initiate or Vampirism) that gives you proficiency with ki focus and use that.

There are themes that give ki focus proficiency.

He is already multiclassing into wizard so he can't take vampirism etc.

TAKERU

First Post
Well, as you all could see, there are already certains implements that *can* be worn and the balance doesn't crumble under these. Holy Symbols and Ki Focuses have both their own item slot to occupy, regardless of having or not a hand full. So that seems that stating this is a matter of game balance doesn't make so much sense.

And, as a Dynamic Weapon, it can take the shape of a Talid or Gauntlet. The problem is, I'd like to know if there is some legal means (I'm kinda strict) I could get something more fashionable and flavorful (and less cumbersome) to someone that throw flames.

About backgrounds, Elemental Initiate allows someone to use Ki Focus as an Implement.

I am not comfortable with taking only fluff for it. I'd prefer some aplicable solution... maybe if there were some way to make the Dynamic Weapon effect to last until used again...?

OnlineDM

Adventurer
Well, as you all could see, there are already certains implements that *can* be worn and the balance doesn't crumble under these. Holy Symbols and Ki Focuses have both their own item slot to occupy, regardless of having or not a hand full. So that seems that stating this is a matter of game balance doesn't make so much sense.

Not for warlocks, unless you get proficiency with those implement types in some other way at some other cost (theme, feat, etc.). If your DM doesn't care about this kind of balance, great! At my table, I do care about this kind of balance.

TAKERU

First Post
Not for warlocks, unless you get proficiency with those implement types in some other way at some other cost (theme, feat, etc.). If your DM doesn't care about this kind of balance, great! At my table, I do care about this kind of balance.

OK. I got your point. Your game, your rules, that's a pretty valid point there. I was just saying that I see no problem *handling* (lol) the matter that way. After all, a Thri-Kreen can still have hands free and that doesn't seem to make it OP or unbalanced. Same for monks, Elemental Initiates and Divine Classes in general. Seems to *me* that if this were such a deep trouble about it, it would be already nerfed... or maybe WoTC doesn't agree with this notion of balance you shared with us. Maybe with some mechanical explanation I would be able to understand how big the trouble really is.

And I *want* to understand, since I don't want any sort of "trick" or favors that are not fair with everyone else. I am just trying to follow a character conception that seems cool to me.

Any ideas?

EDIT: For instance, Applying Mage Weapon over a Spiked Gauntlet or a Talid would do?

Last edited:

Remove ads