D&D 4th Edition The Future of D&D Seminar - Full Video from PAX East - Page 5

+ Log in or register to post
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

I Defended The Walls!

Ignore Grumpy RPG Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Nightwing View Post
    They really need to start using the word 'components' to stop all the module confusion.
    Or at least use "modular" when they employ the term.

I will be interested to see how it plays out in terms of the settings, as it sounds like what they are proposing is what I wants. But it remains to be seen if it will be delivered.

Novice (Lvl 1)

Ignore Galadare
    I'll agree that the rules themselves have a feel to them. I, for one, never did play in any of those "classic" adventures except for Undermountain (with which I had an experience similar to Alphastream's experience with Keep on the Borderlands), yet each incarnation had a different feel to it because each incarnation had a different approach to the same problem. A prime example of this is with the way AC differs between 2nd AD&D and 3.0.

It seems to me that any attempt to recapture the "classic" D&D feel with "modern" rules comes down to where the simplicity and the complexity come into play within the system. Look at 2nd edition AD&D as an example: When it comes right down to it, AD&D was really a simple game in spite of the A in its title. Sure, none of the subsystems could agree on a core mechanic, but each was simple in it's implementation. The complexity entered into the game with the equipment (both magical and mundane, the equipment tables had four flavors of footwear for Heaven's sake!) and the magic. Compare that with 4E, in which the core Fighter class occupies 14 pages of the Player's Handbook while the treasure parcel system and the encumbrance rules were simplified to the point of absurdity (you mean my strength 8 wizard can pack 80 pounds of gear in his backpack without even slowing down? We should ALL be so fit). This is what I find so encouraging about the idea of stripping everything down to being a function of the ability scores and then tweaking that foundation. If they can strip the core game down to a single, simple mechanic then add the complexity in through modular components like themes and kits, and subsystems like feats; then I think it is very possible for them to recapture the classic feel with a more unified, or "modern," design approach.

Personally, it is my biggest hope that they give the next incarnation more support for homebrew elements than the 3 obscure pages devoted to it in the 4E core materials.

Edit: Minor correction in 2nd paragraph.
    Last edited by Galadare; Wednesday, 11th April, 2012 at 02:21 AM.
    God Emperor and High King Omnipotent over all in His Immediate Vicinity. (5'x5' square)

DNDNext....

so far from what I heard sounds Okay but the fact that they are going to be set-up to be run shorter???? No thank you! That's not DND to me it's a board game like Monopoly or in this case Sorry!

Superhero (Lvl 15)

Ignore Jhaelen
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyvyan Basterd View Post
    I would argue that you can't get that "D&D Feel" without good adventures. The rules themselves didn't have a 'feel' in 1E, it was the classic adventure modules we all shared.
    Hmm, given that I never cared much for the 'classic' modules, this would mean I never cared much about that 'D&D Feel'. So, I'm going to doubt this and instead agree with Morrus: It's mostly the rules.
    In a sense, the D&D game has no rules, only rule suggestions. - Tom Moldvay

Aasimar Aardvark COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

PlanescapeCircvs MaximvsGygax Memorial Fund

Ignore TarionzCousin
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhaelen View Post
    So, I'm going to doubt this and instead agree with Morrus
    Be careful: that way lies madness!

Has anyone found a transcript of this seminar yet?
    Rose City Regulars - ENWorld Gamers in and around Portland, Oregon, USA

Community Supporter
    Spellbinder (Lvl 16)

Wizards of the Coast

Ignore mudbunny
    Quote Originally Posted by socksieboy View Post
    so far from what I heard sounds Okay but the fact that they are going to be set-up to be run shorter???? No thank you! That's not DND to me it's a board game like Monopoly or in this case Sorry!
    Having it set up to be run shorter means I can do things at work at lunchtimes. Evenings and weekends are too full of wife/family/house stuff for me to be able to reliably plan anything more often than once every other month or so.

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345