[Rule of Three] 4/10/2012...

Ranganathan

First Post
Here's the linksie.

1 Do you think mundane crafting has a place in D&D Next?

2 How do you see hit points evolving in D&D Next?

3 It seems like we might be able to use an abstract time unit for some things - the session. Is this something you guys are looking at in D&D Next?

Here's the linksie.

3 It seems like we might be able to use an abstract time unit for some things - the session. Is this something you guys are looking at in D&D Next?

1. I could really care less, other than it being a negative if crafting has too steep an opportunity cost in terms of skill points or whatever ends up being the character building currency in 5E.

2. Doesn't really seem like they're evolving much at all, and I'm cool with that.

3. Can't be any worse than using the day as a measure of resource management.

Daztur

Adventurer
We've tinkered with putting it in themes, for example, as a benefit that you just get.

Now this is interesting and seems to fly in the face about how themes can be replaced with piece by piece chargen. If themes are just a basket of feats or whatever then it seems strange that they have things that you "just get." Unless people who don't use themes can "just get" something of their choice as well...

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Here's the linksie.

1. To a point, yes. Random past professions a la 1e work fine for this; along with some sort of simple rule option to pick up a craft on the fly over time - could be as little as "Choose a craft or labour profession and state your intention to learn it. Assuming at least intermittent contact with a suitable trainer, roll d10 after six months of game time to determine your skill:
0-1 this profession is probably not for you, you do not have the talent
2-4 you show promise but need further training, re-roll in 1d6 months
5-8 you have become competent in the profession and require no furrther training
9-0 you have a natural aptitude for the profession, with further training you can become a master, and you are already competent enough to train others the same way you were just trained."

2. I'd like to see a body point/fatigue point system to allow for real injuries. Otherwise they work fine.

3. Bleah. 1e had this, after a fashion - it didn't work then, either.

Lanefan

LightPhoenix

First Post
If we're assuming the Theme/Background dichotomy still applies, then I could see crafting working in either system.

For a background, it's a relatively trivial thing because mundane crafting generally only applicable for a short duration of a character's life. Sure, there are ways to expand the system - exotic materials, for example. However, in every system, magical items are the stuff that matters once you gain a few levels. So you can craft basic stuff, maybe you get an item for free, it's relatively minor because it's not magical.

I could definitely see it as a Theme (or feat grouping, if you will) in that perhaps different equipment groups require different feats. Or perhaps you can focus on a group and you improve the outcome of the crafting. Maybe it could even be something like a watered down version of an Alchemist.

Personally, I've never found any of the mundane crafting abilities so over-powered that they couldn't be given out as backgrounds, but that's just me.

Tallifer

Hero
Crafting was a significant part of my experience in the massively multi-player game called Dark Age of Camelot. I enjoyed learning and practicing my crafts and earning gold with them. But I am not sure how that experience can be replicated in a tabletop roleplaying game. It should be an element available for certain types of campaigns.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I mostly agree with what they said, but with one major exception.

:1: Do you think mundane crafting has a place in D&D Next?

I'm all for jury-rigging and trapping. If it's fast enough to get used in a combat encounter then that's all I really can ask for.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
1) Once I saw Rob's article of backgrounds and themes, I thought of themes being used for crafting.

Alchemist Fighter (craft and augment grenade-like weapons)
Poisonmaster Rogue (collect poisons, can't poison self, distill poisons)
Blacksmith Cleric (craft armor and weapons, gain bonus proficiency)
Herbalist Ranger (collect herbs to be used as potions and poisons)

2) Sounds like, as I thought, Stamina and Wound points would wont be core.

Steely_Dan

First Post

1) Totally optional (fun for some).

2) Leave, it, alone...

3) Buffs etc have always bothered me (enough with the -2 until the end of blah).

Ahnehnois

First Post
Nothing on hit points? With all the sacred cows that have been slaughtered pointlessly or to negative response, hit points are the one that could really use some rethinking.

I want nothing to do with abstract time units. (Or abilities per time unit of any sort).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases