[Rule of Three] 4/10/2012...

Boarstorm

First Post
Good buffs change what a character can and can not do. Bad buffs only require you to keep track of temporary modifiers to your rolls.

I agree with this bit absolutely. Tracking modifiers was one of my largest issues with 4E.

Keep buffs. Buffs are fun. They're more fun when they're special.

dkyle

First Post
In 4E at least "encounter" is not an entirely abstract measure of time. An encounter is approximately 5 minutes.

The 4E "Encounter" is, I think, a good way to have "Scene"-style mechanics, while having mechanics that are actually defined very concretely:

* Encounter powers come back after 5 minutes of rest, not at a "scene change" or anything like that.
* Something that lasts "until end of encounter" effectively lasts 5 minutes

I ended up doing something similar to make Daily resources into Adventure resources: Extended rest means a few days of full rest. It's easy to avoid having that opportunity during an adventure (as it's hard to get 5 full minutes of rest during a combat).

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Really, I always thought scean and story were better then day and encounter

I would love to see once per adventure powers replace once per day... That way 3 days travel from the dungeon to the Capitol to beat the lich who's phlactory you just broke doesn't reset everything.

And a scean could be a fight, a talk with an npc, or Both togather

I may not be explaining myself well.

There was talk of some powers/abilities being "session" driven. A session could be all one big battle (maybe 20 minutes in game time) or a session could be an overland trek through the wilderness of doom (maybe a month of in game time).

If that was the case, an ability (Golden Circle Kick of Righteousness :D) based on "session" could be used once in the battle (reasonable, tiring ability, need right opportunity etc.) but when limited to once in the second scenario of overland travel it would bug the crap out of me why it couldn't be used more than once.

So I think what I mean is, if there is a logical simulation reason why something is limited per/time unit, I'm okay.

But session as a time unit is too varied for me to wrap my head around the reasons for use limitations.

Szatany

First Post
Nothing on hit points? With all the sacred cows that have been slaughtered pointlessly or to negative response, hit points are the one that could really use some rethinking.

Luckily, they are also one subsystem that it's easy to design and publish modules for.

Remove ads