[Rule of Three] 4/10/2012...

Steely_Dan

First Post
Nothing on hit points? With all the sacred cows that have been slaughtered pointlessly or to negative response, hit points are the one that could really use some rethinking.

I want nothing to do with abstract time units. (Or abilities per time unit of any sort).

I'd like at 0 HP, ya die (cannot stand Healing Surges, and/or Negative HP).

...oh (sorry), how the hell are Ability Scores going?

P.S. Can't stand buffs.

Yora

Legend
Buffs mostly only change numbers in a very small way, but don't enable the affected characters to really do anything new. Fire Resistance 20 makes a huge difference, so it's a good effect. +1 to attack rolls and Will saves against fear? This really doesn't make a noticable difference, but you need to keep track of it.
+2 to Dexterity from an item is good, as you can write it on the character sheet and add it everywhere it matters. +2 to Dexterity from a temporary spell is annoying, since you have to add a tiny +1 to all kinds of rolls and remember it the whole time.
Good buffs change what a character can and can not do. Bad buffs only require you to keep track of temporary modifiers to your rolls.

And I really don't care for either magic or mundane item crafting at all. In my 13 years of playing, I never had anyone ever even wanting to make an item. Crafting mundane items is pure fluff, you don't need any complex rules for that. At the most, introduce a system that determines what items a character can make and leave it at that. No rolling for success or failure and randomly rolled time it takes to finish the item.

Andor

First Post
WotC said:
Hit points are a great example of an area of the game that we don't think needs any real changes. They have remained consistent in their use throughout the editions, and we think they are one of the touchstones of the game. We might tinker with acquisition and recovery of hit points, but the basic concept of hit points should remain unchanged.

*snicker*

That having been said, I like the rejection of the 'session' as a unit of time. It makes me feel we are moving away from intrusively gamist elements.

P1NBACK

Banned
Banned
And I really don't care for either magic or mundane item crafting at all. In my 13 years of playing, I never had anyone ever even wanting to make an item. Crafting mundane items is pure fluff, you don't need any complex rules for that. At the most, introduce a system that determines what items a character can make and leave it at that. No rolling for success or failure and randomly rolled time it takes to finish the item.

We do tons of crafting in our campaign. Everything from training mercenaries, to building stables and houses, to custom armor and weapons, to complex bridge contraptions that can be broken down and hauled around. So, no, crafting mundane items isn't "pure fluff".

We have creative players and we're using the Adventurer Conqueror King System which has a pretty robust group of crafting proficiencies and fairly simple crafting rules. It's a big part of our current campaign and I honestly think the campaign wouldn't be nearly as good without those rules.

And, I don't understand why your options are "nothing" and "complex rules"? Can't you have simple, elegant rules for crafting? Again, in ACKS, the rules are fairly robust, but are also pretty simple to implement.

I hope 5E has at least some aspect of crafting.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Nothing on hit points? With all the sacred cows that have been slaughtered pointlessly or to negative response, hit points are the one that could really use some rethinking.

I want nothing to do with abstract time units. (Or abilities per time unit of any sort).

Agreed. It's disturbing enough that you can only use an ability once per fight, but the outcry of "why can't I do it again?" if the session is a week or two of game time would be deafening.

I'm okay with some limits of per day (been playing since 82) but the variance between using something once a day in one session and once per week in another session would be too disconnecting for me.

No "scene" limits to ability use, scene changes too arbitrarily, and I lean towards simulation on this issue.

Last edited:

Remove ads