Review of Dungeon Crawl Classics (DCC) RPG by Goodman Games

Best version of D&D...EVER!

Walking Dad

First Post
The EN World dice roller still not supports zocchi dice. I had currently no change to play it, but the book has its own feeling.

(the one bit I dislike about the presentation is that the free rpg day stuff is available as a pdf, but not free. That is the one thing other companies do better in my opinion (not including WotC, who don't support pdfs at all. In Europe it is hard to get any of the Free RPG goodies :()

IronWolf

blank
Now that it's been out for a few weeks, does anyone who's played it have additional opinions or reactions for us?

I have been having a great time with the game. It really seems to hit a nice niche and has been a lot of fun. I have judged three sessions in Google+ Hangout games and have had positive reactions every time. The sessions I ran were one-shot sessions with 2nd level characters for one game and 3rd for another.

I have been playing as well, have two sessions in and working our way through a 0-level funnel. That game has also been great fun.

The randomness is nice, the actual threat of character death makes the ones that survive feel that much more heroic.

I have written up several blog posts about the game on my blog for more information on my experience with it.

The Iron Tavern -- A Look at DCC RPG
The Iron Tavern -- Photos of Dice and DCC RPG Book
The Iron Tavern -- Actual Play Experience
The Iron Tavern -- Playing The Jeweler That Dealt in Stardust (Slight Spoilers)
The Iron Tavern -- DCC RPG Funky Dice

johnsemlak

First Post
The EN World dice roller still not supports zocchi dice. I had currently no change to play it, but the book has its own feeling.

(the one bit I dislike about the presentation is that the free rpg day stuff is available as a pdf, but not free. That is the one thing other companies do better in my opinion (not including WotC, who don't support pdfs at all. In Europe it is hard to get any of the Free RPG goodies :()
I thought free RPG day stuff was not supposed to be available for free as a PDF. Isn't the idea to get gamers into brick and mortar stores?

Having lived in Russia I do understand your problem though.

Walking Dad

First Post
The PDFs came out later and you don't get the maps and other fancy stuff.

I would go to and buy at the brick and mortar stores, but around here they don't participate. Don't now much about the other European (or Asian, Australian, African,...) stores.

Last edited by a moderator:

Leif

Adventurer
So, WD, am I to understand that you have not been able to get DCC yet? Or do you have it now? If so, when are you going to start a game of DCC here? :)

Walking Dad

First Post
Well, I was commenting on the policy to sell the pdf of a great product that you gave away for free. It will just hurt sales oversea.

I got the core book pdf by now, but not the time to GM right now, sorry.

Leif

Adventurer
That's ok. Neither do I, at the moment. :( Bummer, eh?

So many games.
So little time.
So much pain in my tuckus.

ShadoWWW

Explorer
I've been playing D&D 5e for 6 years now. Last week, I found this book. I love it. I was exhausted by a lot of mechanics of 5e. Here I was fascinated by the simplicity of creating a character, by those beautiful black and white illustrations, and that magic is magical – mysterious and unpredictable – once again!

Nebulous

Legend
I've only played it maybe six sessions altogether years ago, but I love it too. With the quarantine and Roll20 so hot right now I might try to get a game going again. The magic is so brutal though, and deadly.

Remove ads

Remove ads