D&D Has Never Been Suitable for Generic Fantasy

pemerton

Legend
4e focused on a particular style of game (tactical dungeon exploration)
Intriguing - I don't see a lot of that in 4e (there is some stuff about breaking down doors in the DMG, but not the same emphasis on dungeons as for example in B/X or AD&D), and I'm not sure that 4e is especially good at it. (It lacks robust exploration mechanics, for example).

Most of the paragon paths and epic destinies defined in the game have nothing to do with dungeon exploration.

4e does like indoor combat spaces, because these tend to have more tightly defined terrain (which suits its combat mechanics). But I see the focus of 4e as being on mechanically crunchy conflict - especially but not exclusively combat.

Giants were just baby titans; who themselves stopped being related to the titans of myth.
Huh? 4e titans are servants of the Primordials, who are rather analogous to the titans of myth.

Are you referring to the elemental character of 4e titans? This isn't true to myth, perhaps, but then in AD&D titans (the monster, described as "lesser titans" in Deities and Demigods) are CG, whereas the default alignment for the "true", mythical titans is CE. D&D has always taken a bit of creative licence in its detailing of titans.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Specifically in the playtest and our discussions about it here, it comes to my mind that a lot of people seem to want to use D&D as a game of generic fantasy (or, sometimes, not even a game, but a storytelling tool, which I don't even want to start in on, God help me). This seems to drive a lot of the suggestions I see for/about the playtest: making concessions for this or that contingency to make the whole more palatable for "any conceivable" campaign.

Yes...and there is nothing wrong with that.

But D&D is not generic fantasy, and never has been...

For the most part, this is true. D&D has tried to do generic fantasy through supplements, but it was definitely a case of shoehorning a base system not optimal for such an application. However, it still doesn't mean that this must remain true.

...and never really can be...

Absolutely Wrong.

...EXCEPT if we consider that what is now considered "generic fantasy" is hugely colored by years of D&D being the starting-point of so many lives devoted to "fantasy" as a genre (which explains to me why you see things like Paladins in Diablo and WarCraft). Pop culture makes references to "+1" items, a D&D concept to the core. This stuff is ingrained.

I disagree. Due to D&D's "quirks" from the beginning, it started as and has become moreso, a Fantasy Genre unto itself...so on that I Agree. And, it's influence has spread, however that doesn't make D&D "Generic". But again, none of this precludes D&D being able to support Generic Fantasy now.

Even from the original little books by Gygax and Arneson, right through to the 4th edition (which itself had a wildly different assumed setting but plenty of it, and in great lava gulps), this is a game that has been dripping with implied setting to various degrees. That implied setting might be a mish-mash of inspirations and rip-offs, but it is there nonetheless. Clerics? Paladins? Bards? Magic-users with spell slots and spells that start with "Bigby's"? These aren't generic fantasy, they are D&D through and through. They transcend their literary antecedents at this point. "Bards are based on rea..." yadda yadda no one cares, every bard in every video game is based on the lute-strumming D&D bard who is D&D to the core.

Wrong again. If nobody cared, we wouldn't be talking about this issue. Those that want Generic Fantasy support most assuredly do care...and you most certainly do care that this should never be allowed. Atempting to downplay or marginalize this issue, while also ranting against it, seems rather a bit contradictory. You're at cross-purposes with yourself. The more people vociferously speak against this idea, the more likely it is to come to pass. keeping quiet has a much better chance of this seeming to be a "fringe" or minority issue, and thus be overlooked, rather than forcing it into prominence with continuing threads of this sort.

So, on behalf of those that do want Generic Fantasy support, I heartily thank you for raising this issue...:)

I don't see why anyone would want to make D&D a "generic fantasy" toolkit, game, storytelling tool or anything else for that matter, except that people seem to be drawn to the name "Dungeons & Dragons" even above the game sold under that title. The truth is there are generic fantasy gaming systems out there (many inspired by D&D in turn, naturally) but D&D is basically incapable of being one. What is generic about a cosmology that includes the alignments? What is generic about a vorpal sword or a bag of holding? ("Let's remove alignments from the system, they don't fit the world I want to play in!" Well, or, you could play a different game entirely that never had alignments to begin with. There are plenty to choose from. Why should D&D have to become one?)

Because even those so-called "Generic" games you're talking about, also have their issues...usually (though not all of them) "mechanical" issues that cause the game to be overly complicated, slow resolution, etc., or just not suitable for what people are looking for. Those that do find what they need in them, do switch. Those that don't...don't. No game is perfect. However, D&D is the game that most people started out with. It's the game that most people "know" (mechanically) the best. And it is a very malliable and flexible rules system.

And it is not only "your" game...:erm:

D&D grew to become iconic and survive to playtest a fifth edition (which isn't even the fifth edition but more like the sixth or seventh) specifically because it was never generic.

I strongly disagree. This is an assumption based on no proof or data. There is no way for one to "know" that D&D wouldn't have been as popular as it is today if it had been more generic.

It has presented a very specific framework for adventure gaming that has been highly malleable- but NOT N O T N-O-T generic. It was never about infinite character concepts, acting out any role you could imagine-

Wrong again. Developers of different editions have all attempted to do this, to varying degrees and with varying levels of success. I think the edition that came closest to doing this was 3E, but even 4E's concepts of roles was an attempt at this. You are completely off base on this one. Developers of all editions have recognized that parts of the fan base most definitely do want "Generic" support, and have attempted to provide this.

This is a game about a class of people whose lives consist of going into dangerous locations, answering violence with violence, and hauling out treasure.

No. This is just one aspect or application of the game. It is this at some tables, and something very different at others...but there's no reason the game can't be "better" than it has been at both...

You shouldn't expect D&D to bend over backwards to make room for your pacifist noble with an allergy to coins and no discernible talent outside of playing the spoons.

Why not...? Why do you feel you get to decide what D&D should or shouldn't do or be...? That type of character is one I certainly would not enjoy playing myself, but as a DM I most certainly would allow a player of mine to do so, and would do my utmost to facilitate it in play. As a DM, I would most certainly encourage and applaud any attempts in game design that would make it easier for me to do this.

The game does not owe your character anything

I Agree. The above statement is quite true. Just as true as the game does not owe it to any player or fan to never change either. The game is capable of being both your game, my game, and everybodies' game. With the ideas behind 5E, it should be able to be both a genre unto itself, and a generic toolbox for any type of game...even the absolutely horrific concept of being a "storytelling" tool!:eek:

...especially if your character isn't made to do what D&D expects him to do- go out and earn experience points, however your preferred edition awards them, to become better at earning experience points, lather, rinse, repeat.

And yet D&D itself over the years, has offered "official" options so one doesn't have to play D&D this way.

Hmmmm....:hmm:

I don't think D&D "is" what you think it "is"...

Going forward into the playtest and the edition it will spawn, I think it is important to remember this point. D&D is not and never has been a go-to toolkit for telling fantasy stories; it is a game of adventure in a fairly specific mode and in a fairly specific kind of world- right down to the concept of class & level, which itself says something about the setting (there are people who go out and adventure, and each one is highly proficient in a specific useful area towards the goal of acquisition of treasure and as they adventure, they become better at it, eventually beyond the ken of their erstwhile "unclassed" peers). Dungeons & Dragons is a game for exploring "D&D Worlds." D&D Worlds can look very, very different from each other on the surface and even for a few layers below that, but they are still D&D Worlds at their cores- until you stretch them so far they ~POP~ and you're left with something alien (but not intrinsically worthless). This is how some of the post-D&D fantasy rule sets were born, after all!

When we try to turn D&D into generic fantasy, something to tell our individual fantasy stories, it kind of breaks down. D&D is good at being D&D, and not much else. And that, I think, is why it is STILL the biggest fantasy adventure game on the block in terms of brand recognition. But could that recognition falter if D&D is made to be more generic, more adaptable, and extricated further from the concepts it made so iconic they are now regarded as staples of our modern notions about the fantasy genre?

And here we come down to the crux of the illogic behind the assumptions presented here:

Just because it hasn't been generic, does not mean it can't ever be designed, or offer "modules", that allow it to be played this way now. It can most certainly be both, and be effective at both...even possibly more effective at either than it ever has been. There are very few constants in life. But one I have learned from experience is: "because that's the way it's always been" is the absolute dumbest reason ever for not doing something new or improving something.

Now, I'm not saying one should make change for change sake. But when an area for improvement is identified, as this has been discussed for decades, it's the height of foolishness to not attempt it based simply on the idea that "the game has never done that before".*

*(...especially when that's not true, as pointed out above).

D&D is capable of being "Generic" without impinging upon what D&D has always been...especially with the concept of modularity. 5E can be made with a base system that will support both, and every other game style or use. Those that are so sure it can't have a distinct lack of understanding of D&D's mechanics and flexibility, and a distinct lack of imagination...not to mention an overdeveloped fear of change. I just don't understand why some are so against D&D being able to do things that they personally don't like, seemingly because they simply don't like them... Just because it can, doesn't mean one will be foreced to play that way. And before those same people go talking about how it will "muck up their game"...1) it's not a given that this will happen, and 2)D&D is not YOUR game, it's WotC's game. WotC is going to do whatever they think will sell more product. If they can make the game able to support Generic Fantasy more effectively, and as a result sell more product, it's a no brainer...fear of getting peanut butter in one's chocolate not withstanding.

B-)

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Personally I don't believe RPGs replicate fantasy novels well at all. That's like saying Legend of Zelda replicates fantasy novels well even though the whole game for you is running around cutting down bushes. You know, you could do that in D&D as well, if you want.

"Generic" fantasy is a goal I wouldn't desire anyways though. I like medieval elements and magical elements. Having the game with a definite fantasy realm with a past, present, and future is far more enjoyable than whatever generic means.

That's cool. Generic isn't your preference, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

What I believe is wrong, is when others decide D&D shouldn't support Generic Fantasy because they don't like it. With the goals set down for D&D Next, this is the best chance D&D will ever have to be able to support both (and everything else).

What D&D does well is remove any specific fantasy world (unlike many other FRPGs) and instead provide a broad scope of fantasy worlds more or less easily imagined within it.

Uhmmm...now I'm confused. What you're describing here is "Generic" Fantasy... What people who want more "Generic" support desire, is exactly what you just described right here.

However, what you're describing here also isn't what D&D currently is. There are certain truisms hardcoded in the mechanics of every edition of D&D that define the "rules of the D&D World" in a specific way...one which is unique to D&D itself. D&D is and has been a genre unto itself from the start.

:)

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Uhmmm...now I'm confused. What you're describing here is "Generic" Fantasy... What people who want more "Generic" support desire, is exactly what you just described right here.

However, what you're describing here also isn't what D&D currently is. There are certain truisms hardcoded in the mechanics of every edition of D&D that define the "rules of the D&D World" in a specific way...one which is unique to D&D itself. D&D is and has been a genre unto itself from the start.
Well, I don't want to leave you confused. :)

For me, every rule in D&D defines setting. What the "rules" are aren't so much the way the game must be played, but a toolbox of systems that functionally work in harmony with each other.

The default rules are a more specific fantasy world with races, specialty classes, magic items, and monsters all defined. If you simply want to use everything available, you can. However, I don't believe that would make it generic. It's just the default setting.

Alternatively, rules can be chosen piecemeal and new house rules added to define a unique setting still possible with the rules D&D supports. The scope of these are broad, but stuff like DarkSun really pushes its boundaries. Try and play Star Wars and very little of what you would want is supported.

So a Greyhawk-clone definitely supported with plenty of easy to convert adventures. A DarkSun-clone would require a lot of conversion far more work. Attempting to play in the Star Wars universe effectively means making a new game with some rules and inspiration from D&D (a la Boot Hill).

To me "generic setting" is like saying "genre setting". What world is your D&D campaign in? "Fantasy-land" (except Disney already owns that :) ) I guess that would mean everything not real. If you have a setting, then it's going to be specific IMO. No where is every where. Plus, no rule set is going to be able to support every possible to imagine setting, but D&D does a fair job within the realm of medieval magical ones stretching from high fantasy to swords and sorcery. Lots of history, myth, and legend are provided here albeit in its own particular version.

slobster

Hero
One thing I'd like to mention is that, for me, the setting of a game and it's tone and feel (I'll use the term "genre" for that, even though it doesn't quite fit; maybe someone else has a better term) are distinct things.

Toril (Forgotten Realms) is a setting. The Star Wars universe and Hogwarts are settings, too. With some houseruling and new classes, D&D is perfectly good at running adventures in any of them. Most systems can withstand that sort of hacking, though I think d20 (getting edition specific here, but that's a function of personal familiarity) is particularly robust in that way.

Genre is a whole different ballgame. D&D excels at heroic fantasy. The rules presume that you will spend a fair amount of your time toe-to-toe with some big baddies in physical (or magical) combat. Your character is going to have aspects of a pulp action star or a superhero straight out the gate, including being able to shake off wounds that would be deadly to an average person (a function of using hp instead of wounds) and greater than normal stamina and power.

So D&D can run heroic fantasy in Toril, Star Wars, or at Hogwarts. But if, instead of heroic fantasy, you want to run a lighthearted coming-of-age story with mystery elements and more personal than violent conflict, D&D begins to perform poorly. The mechanics can technically cope with that shift in tone, but it's going to be a strain. Players will look over their sheets and wonder why they are wasting time sneaking around the Slytherin common room when they can come out wands blazing. Roleplaying in the style the genre expects isn't reinforced by the rules, increasing the cognitive load on players and the GM.

So while I think D&D is great at running heroic fantasy in pretty much any world you can imagine (I don't know if that qualifies it as being "generic"), I find it less satisfying at running a survival horror game. Or a detective mystery plot. Or sweeping romance, political intrigue, or gritty war tragedy. Any of these can be done, with differing amounts of houseruling necessary, but D&D's chassis isn't designed for them and it could be a bumpy ride.

TL;DR - I think D&D is great for just about any high action fantasy game you could want to run. I think it is less optimal than other available systems for games with a wildly divergent tone and feel, like Game of Thrones style political intrigue or My Little Pony: the RPG.

No, 4e tried to redefine D&D. It stopped being what TSR through 2007 WotC defined as D&D and began using its language to define new idea. Some were good, some were not. The evidence of this is everywhere.

I disagree. D&D has been defined across the years. What 4e did was translated D&D while keeping most of the core the same (with the exception of the Gygaxo-Vancian magic system and pun-based material components).

In 1974 there was a decent wargaming community. The language used by D&D was that of tabletop wargaming right down to PC movement rates being recorded in inches. D&D has historically used the language of tabletop wargaming because that's what Gygax used.

In 2008 and 2012 the tabletop wargaming scene is dying on its feet - computer games have eaten it alive. D&D is a relatively obscure hobby - with more people recognising the White Mage and Black Mage from FFVII than the Wizard and Cleric roles.

4e was an attempt to keep the fundamentals of D&D largely the same but to translate the framework it was played in from a language that people with a passing aquaintance with tabletop wargames or D&D itself would start to understand to a framework the order of magnitude more people who play WoW (10 million subscribers in 2008) or FFVII (9.8 million copies sold) - lifetime total players (1 session or more) were estimated at 20 million in 2006.

Many monsters got planar or elemental upgrades or additions; leading to the compoundword creaturename system of naming monsters.

Which itself is highly traditional. Owlbear. Rust-monster.

Appendix N isn't really the be-all, end all on the topic.

No. But it's sufficient to show that it wasn't just Arthurian Romance.

D&D is suitable for a variety of different playstyles and adaptations (from Ravenloft to Al-qadim) but its hard to argue the rules are suitable for adapting easily. Each setting TSR or WotC created (with perhaps the exception of Realms and Hawk) required major rewrites of the rules OR huge grains of salt to accept D&D tropes. (Look how something like Masque of the Red Death had to bend to create 1890's versions of the core four!). D&D is adaptable, but hardly generic.

And yet you can drift 4e without many contortions. You just ban or restrict the classes that don't fit as the roles are a superset of classes. Magic User, Fighter, Cleric, Thief needs to be bent hard to fit the MU and the Cleric into most worlds (especially with Gygaxo-Vancian casting). But treat the classic party as roles and you can keep only those classes that fit.

Doug McCrae

Legend
Uhm, can someone explain to me what "generic fantasy" is?
I'm going to have another stab at answering this question, in the context of what it is to be a generic fantasy roleplaying game. I believe I've been able to identify four separate meanings:

1) Vanilla Fantasy
It's synonymous with 'vanilla fantasy'. The ruleset supports the most commonplace, most cliched elements of fantasy fiction. This is what I meant when I answered 'Tolkien' upthread, as Tolkien, particularly Lord of the Rings, has had so many imitators, and, more than any other work or author, comes closest to defining fantasy. Arthurian legend is almost up there with Tolkien imho.

So a generic fantasy rpg, in this sense, would provide support for – a setting resembling medieval Europe, Good versus Evil, dark lords, epic quests, wise old wizards, wicked enchanters, elves, dwarves, orcs, dragons, giants, macguffin-y magic items, magic swords, knights, and distressed damsels.

2) Toolbox: We Have It All
The ruleset supports a great many specific fantasy elements, that serve as a toolbox which can be used to create a far more parsimonious world. For example one can take D&D and, by removing many pieces, primarily monsters and high-powered magic, construct a world that resembles Middle-Earth.

Many D&Ders do indeed use the game in this way. Because D&D contains so many diverse elements – monsters, magic items, spells, classes - particularly if splatbooks and third party products are used to support such areas of play as alternate magic systems, it can serve as a toolbox and is thus generic. It is generic in the sense that, by stripping away most of its potential content, it can be used to build a more specific world.

3) Abstract Rules
The rules are, on some level, abstract, permitting multiple, more specific, interpretations. Hero System is generic in this way, as I mentioned upthread, as it separates powers from what it calls special effects AKA flavour text. This is also true of 4e D&D, with its decoupling of rules and flavour text (and encouragement to re-flavour) and it's also a popular interpretation of many aspects of 3e D&D. By this interpretation a class or feat in 3e is much like a power in Hero - it describes an effect, but not the means by which that effect is achieved in the game world. Ends, but not means. It should be noted that Hero goes quite a bit further than 3e in this respect, and that not every class or feat in 3e is equally susceptible to this interpretation.

It's sometimes said that generic fantasy doesn't exist because in any given campaign or example of play, the setting or the events transpiring will be specific. Not so, in my view. Roleplaying games, even in actual play, may remain in a Twilight Zone. Like quantum particles, elements may never move from the general to the specific. Examples include saving throws in 1e AD&D, hit points in 1e AD&D, pre-d20 D&D's 1 minute combat rounds, and combat in Tunnels & Trolls (which is highly abstract). It's true that the way a PC makes a save might be determined – the DM or player may describe the way a thief leaps into the nook containing the bronze elephantine statue to escape the dragon's breath. But the point is – the way the save is made may not be determined, and the game would proceed just fine. It would continue to be abstract, or generic.

And of course, this is true of all secondary worlds, even the most detailed. Compared to the real world, practically everything remains undetermined.

4) Toolbox: Build It Out Of Bits
The ruleset is a different kind of toolkit, allowing final, game-useable units to be constructed out of base elements. Hero is also generic in this way. One could, for instance, build a Vancian wizard in Hero, but it wouldn't be straightforward. A fireball spell could be built by taking the base power Energy Blast, giving it the advantages Area Effect, and the limitations Charges (once per day), Gestures, Incantation and No Knockback.

I don't think D&D is generic in this way. It would be if, instead of the Monster Manual for example, there were just monster creation guidelines, without any specific monsters.

Conclusion
Somewhat surprisingly, D&D is more generic than I thought, as it meets the criteria for senses #1 thru #3. #3 is only true of d20 D&D however, and #2 is most true of 3e, with all the splatbooks and third party content (and a bit true of late 2e).

Last edited:

Doug McCrae

Legend
So while I think D&D is great at running heroic fantasy in pretty much any world you can imagine (I don't know if that qualifies it as being "generic"), I find it less satisfying at running a survival horror game. Or a detective mystery plot. Or sweeping romance, political intrigue, or gritty war tragedy. Any of these can be done, with differing amounts of houseruling necessary, but D&D's chassis isn't designed for them and it could be a bumpy ride.
Excellent point, and post. Can't xp you.

Dausuul

Legend

No. Middle-Earth is not the least bit generic--and understand, I'm not saying this as a Tolkien fanboy offended that you would apply such a label to the master's work. I'm saying it as a fantasy fan who detests the assumption that Tolkien speaks for all fantasists.

Look at "A Song of Ice and Fire." Look at the Earthsea Trilogy, or the Dark Tower books, or the Black Company, or Harry Potter. Go back to Shakespeare and read "The Tempest" and "A Midsummer Night's Dream." Switch to graphic novels and read the Sandman books. All of these are fantasy classics, but none of them looks much like "The Lord of the Rings" beyond general details of having magic and being set in a medieval world--and in the case of Harry Potter and the Sandman, not even that. I love Tolkien, but his work has become a blight on the genre because people act like there isn't anything else.

As to the question of what is generic fantasy, I don't think you can point to a single work of fantasy and say "That's generic fantasy" any more than you can point to a person and say "That's an average person." (The average person, after all, is 51% female and 49% male.) However, you can say that a system supports generic fantasy if it can be used to reproduce a wide range of fantasy settings and tropes. A system that could, with equal ease, mimic Lord of the Rings, the Black Company, Harry Potter, and Midsummer Night's Dream would have a good claim to support generic fantasy. In this respect, D&D fails hard. Other systems fail too, but not as hard. I'm not offhand aware of a system that I would say succeeds.

Last edited:

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
...To me "generic setting" is like saying "genre setting". What world is your D&D campaign in? "Fantasy-land" (except Disney already owns that :) ) I guess that would mean everything not real. If you have a setting, then it's going to be specific IMO. No where is every where. Plus, no rule set is going to be able to support every possible to imagine setting, but D&D does a fair job within the realm of medieval magical ones stretching from high fantasy to swords and sorcery. Lots of history, myth, and legend are provided here albeit in its own particular version.

That last sentence is the key: "it's own particular version".

It can't be it's own particular version and be generic. The two are not the same thing.

B-)

Remove ads