D&D 4th Edition Playtest Update - Page 8




+ Log in or register to post
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 104

Thread: Playtest Update

  1. #71
    Judging from the playtest, I wouldn't buy 5e. Between racial features, class features, feats, backgrounds, themes, etc., there are way too many fiddly bonuses and rule exceptions built into each character. Keep the core simple, please.

 

  • #72
    Quote Originally Posted by WheresMyD20 View Post
    Judging from the playtest, I wouldn't buy 5e. Between racial features, class features, feats, backgrounds, themes, etc., there are way too many fiddly bonuses and rule exceptions built into each character. Keep the core simple, please.
    Core rules need to be simple, yes, but also interesting. Complaining about races, themes, classes, and backgrounds is pretty pointless when there's already an established option to remove themes and backgrounds and nobody has a gun to their head to play a non-human.

    Odd thing, though, Wizards and Clerics have spell lists that are basically nothing but a giant pile of hyper-specialized fiddledy bits.

    - Marty Lund

  • #73
    Registered User
    Gallant (Lvl 3)

    stevelabny's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Midwood, Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    1,062

    Ignore stevelabny
    The fact that most people seem to like the advantage/disadvantage mechanic tells me that either I'm broken or that most people will just like anything that involved rolling more dice and aren't looking deeper.

    Its a simple mechanic that singlehandedly undoes so many other things. It makes crits boring, it makes mobs of like creatures tedious, it is so big a swing that it has to be used sparingly which in turn makes it pointless, it removes advantage stacking, and it takes the excitement away from watching the die on an important roll.

    And I simply don't think that the impact of most of these things will be felt in one or two playtest sessions.

    Oh well.

  • #74
    Quote Originally Posted by mlund View Post
    Core rules need to be simple, yes, but also interesting. Complaining about races, themes, classes, and backgrounds is pretty pointless when there's already an established option to remove themes and backgrounds and nobody has a gun to their head to play a non-human.

    Odd thing, though, Wizards and Clerics have spell lists that are basically nothing but a giant pile of hyper-specialized fiddledy bits.

    - Marty Lund
    Agreed on the spells.

    As far as races, themes, and backgrounds go, I think they should be modules, not part of the base game. Generally speaking, it's a lot easier to add stuff like that to a simple base than it is to remove them from a more complex game.

  • #75
    Quote Originally Posted by WheresMyD20 View Post
    Agreed on the spells.

    As far as races, themes, and backgrounds go, I think they should be modules, not part of the base game. Generally speaking, it's a lot easier to add stuff like that to a simple base than it is to remove them from a more complex game.
    They are modules in the sense that they can be safely removed without bringing the rest of the Core rules crashing down and leaving an unplayable game. They are simply modules that are included in the default assumptions for further modules to be added.

    If you're worried about "fidgety bits" like races and backgrounds most PC-related modules aren't going to be designed for your play style anyway. "Basic" is an easy optional configuration for the spartan niche, though probably not a very effective intro tool compared to pre-gens with at least fixed backgrounds.

    - Marty Lund
    Last edited by mlund; Tuesday, 26th June, 2012 at 05:22 AM.

  • #76
    The percentage of people liking the direction of the next edition is not that important. What's more important is how WotC responds to the feedback they get and the most important thing of all is what the new edition will look like when we get the chance to buy the final product.

    So being pessimistic or optimistic about the percentage at this point in time is irrelevant and a supremely pointless exercise in wasting time.

    As for the article, I'm personally worried. Mearls says the most frequent praise they got was fans telling them how faster and streamlined it was. He then proceeds to say they're gonna add a bunch of clutter and useless details and "options" that those same fans are claimoring for.

    It's becoming a running gag when designing new editions of DnD or knockoffs like Pathfinder. Everyone starts by being fed up with clunky, slow systems and starts from the basics. Then they add and add and add until it is just as pointlessly clunky or worse.

    Is it that hard to get that DnD needs to be simple to be accessible and successful in the long term?

    Note to fans and designers who want a faster, simpler game as well as a gazillion useless detailed options: You can't get both. It's one or the other.

  • #77
    Member
    Spellbinder (Lvl 16)

    Echohawk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Madibeng
    Posts
    2,752
    I Defended The Walls!

    Ignore Echohawk
    Quote Originally Posted by CasvalRemDeikun View Post
    Exactly. If those polled were an accurate sample of D&D fans worldwide and 60% were pleased, THAT would be a pretty good sample. This, on the other hand, is people who are actually interested in 5E and potential buyers. They only have made 60% happy with the direction 5E is going. That 60% isn't necessarily composed entirely of people that preach the gospel of 5E either. Whereas the 40% is composed of people that, if 5E continues in the direction it is headed, they are likely NOT to buy it.
    You are making an assumption here that if 60% of the survey respondents said they liked the current direction of D&D Next, then the other 40% said that they didn't like the current direction. But that doesn't correctly represent all of the the survey options. Perhaps the remaining 40% were split between just 5% who disliked the direction of D&D Next, and 35% who were simply neutral or undecided?

  • #78
    Registered User
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

    CasvalRemDeikun's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    282

    Ignore CasvalRemDeikun
    Quote Originally Posted by Echohawk View Post
    You are making an assumption here that if 60% of the survey respondents said they liked the current direction of D&D Next, then the other 40% said that they didn't like the current direction. But that doesn't correctly represent all of the the survey options. Perhaps the remaining 40% were split between just 5% who disliked the direction of D&D Next, and 35% who were simply neutral or undecided?
    In this economy, people tend not to buy stuff that makes them go "meh". And ultimately, in this case, the neutrals are still not happy with the direction the game is going, they just aren't unhappy either. Which ultimately means the game has not drawn them in yet, which after only one playtest is probably to be expected. We have no way of determining how Mike arrived at the number he did, for all we know, neutral was included in his 60% or was taken out entirely. Still, bottom line, 40% of people are NOT happy with the way the game is headed, whether it is because they haven't developed an opinion yet, or they flat out don't like it.

  • #79
    Registered User
    Magsman (Lvl 14)

    Fifth Element's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Fredericton, NB, Canada
    Posts
    6,040

    Ignore Fifth Element
    Quote Originally Posted by sheadunne View Post
    My issue is only with the roll an extra die mechanic. Less dice not more. There are already too many ways to get advantage/disadvantage in the play test. There will be hundreds more. And it wouldn't surprise me to see the mechanic carried even further with allowing another d20 roll with certain spells and abilities. Now you're rolling 3 d20s to hit and taking the highest/lowest. Just make it a +2/-2 and lets move on.
    But realistically the adv/dis mechanic is replacing the recent-edition tendency of many bonuses. It's +2 from this and +3 from that and another +1 from over there. Did I forget any? No? Okay, I'll roll. Darn it, missed by one. Who's next? Wait! I forgot the other +1! So I made it.

    Besides that, of course, a bonus makes you able to accomplish things you otherwise couldn't, whereas advantage only increases your chances of success, without changing what you can accomplish.

    I'm assuming that with your "less dice" position that you want to get rid of damage rolls as well?

  • #80
    Registered User
    Defender (Lvl 8)

    Mercutio01's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ocean City, NJ
    Posts
    989
    Blog Entries
    1

    Ignore Mercutio01
    Quote Originally Posted by Fifth Element View Post
    But realistically the adv/dis mechanic is replacing the recent-edition tendency of many bonuses. It's +2 from this and +3 from that and another +1 from over there. Did I forget any? No? Okay, I'll roll. Darn it, missed by one. Who's next? Wait! I forgot the other +1! So I made it.

    Besides that, of course, a bonus makes you able to accomplish things you otherwise couldn't, whereas advantage only increases your chances of success, without changing what you can accomplish.
    And, I think, the bonus for adv/dis is that it scales with level better than a flat +/- modifier.

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. 8th Level Playtest with June Update
      By Neechen in forum D&D and Pathfinder
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: Wednesday, 19th June, 2013, 11:52 AM
    2. Playtest Update
      By Wizards of the Coast in forum News
      Replies: 103
      Last Post: Friday, 29th June, 2012, 05:16 PM
    3. Raging Barbarian Playtest update
      By justanobody in forum RPGs & Tabletop Gaming Discussion
      Replies: 16
      Last Post: Friday, 21st November, 2008, 07:25 PM
    4. Feudal Lords Playtest Guide - Final Update
      By Jraynack in forum Alea Publishing Group Hosted Forum
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: Monday, 21st April, 2008, 04:55 PM
    5. Castle Smoulderthorn Part 2 (Playtest Update)
      By Remathilis in forum D&D and Pathfinder
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: Friday, 24th August, 2007, 05:08 PM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •