Convincing 4th Edition players to consider 5th Edition

Tony Vargas

Legend
Well, the major issue with that is that gamers can feel constricted by the rules that are presented - indeed it can be a source of conflict if one person wants to use the rules and another doesn't.
Like I said, it's a fundamental question. The group is going to have to agree whether to use mechanics or PC/DM interaction for resolution, and stick to it. The DM throwing out or using such rules should be up-front about it.

Actually, that's not even entirely the case. The rules could be presented as a 'bad day' or 'shy player' safety-net. If the player doesn't feel like RPing the interaction, he can lean on th rules. If the player is into the interaction, he can just go with it.

I'd prefer a combination: you use the rules for resolution, but RP the result.

Like I said, it's a fundamental question. The group is going to have to agree whether to use mechanics or PC/DM interaction for resolution, and stick to it. The DM throwing out or using such rules should be up-front about it.

Actually, that's not even entirely the case. The rules could be presented as a 'bad day' or 'shy player' safety-net. If the player doesn't feel like RPing the interaction, he can lean on th rules. If the player is into the interaction, he can just go with it.

I'd prefer a combination: you use the rules for resolution, but RP the result.
Well that's a way of doing it, but let's look at the issue of social interaction being a microcosm for the fundamentals of every aspect of the game's design: character design, combat, skills, magic...the whole lot!

For me, there is enough evidence that different gaming groups approach the whole game in enough different ways that thematically, these styles of play can be grouped into different DM's Guides. Each of these can home in on a particular style of play (if anything else, WotC ought to like the idea of providing multiple books to sell).

That's my solution anyway.

The tricky part is making a core basic game that intuitively allows these approaches to be built on without any mechanical readjustment or redesign, into a cohesive whole. This was one failure, in my view, between the old Basic/Advanced split - they were separate games, rather than supplemental ones.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
4e does have a chart for improvised actions, though it's based on scaled DCs and "genre logic" rather than on "objective" DCs.
Which, as far as I know, depends largely on DM fiat to set the actual DCs (not great for player agency, in my opinion) or say what can even be attempted (also not great for player agency, in my opinion).
I'm not familiar with M&M other than by reputation, but I have been given the impression by some posts I've seen about it that a lot of the gonzo is introduced via its Hero/Action(?) Point mechanic, which seems to be more about "genre logic" than objective DCs.
The mechanic gives you some narrative control by allowing you to exercise some story power. They do things like allow you to reroll (minimum of 11-20 on the d20), eliminate fatigue, gain a feat momentarily, expand a power for a turn, etc. At the GM's permission, you can also use them for other purposes (I let my players say "I conveniently have this on hand" by spending a Hero Point, for example).

But, the uses are usually rather well defined, and generally only grant "gonzo" effects by utilizing the system. For example, you might use a Hero Point to expand your mind reading ability to blast somebody's mind (the mechanics on how to do this are clear and laid out), but it's only gonzo because the powers were gozno to begin with, not because the Hero Point made them that way.
Whether or not that impression is accurate, my feeling - and it's based on experience, not a priori conceptual reasoning - is that one you are using objective DCs adjudicating the gonzo elements of D&D-ish high fantasy becomes harder, and the overall pressure is towards conservatism, because reality is the baseline for the setting of objective DCs.
This is a good point. I suppose there could be different charts for each level of genre (gritty to gonzo), but that'd be cumbersome. While a rules light system handles this and gritty well, it doesn't give much reliable control over shaping the story to the players (without DM permission).
For example, how easy is it for someone to shove their hands into a forge and hold a red-hot artefact still as magical (as well as mundane) energy builds, and dwarven artificers try and grasp it with their tongs? My feeling is that in the real world that's impossible, or very close to. And then the pressure is on to look for abilities (or spells) that give magical protection against heat, and the like - and then we're out of the realm of improvisational gonzo and into the realm of operational play and the management of magical resources.
It doesn't need to become management of magical resources (it need not consume resources), but it is more operational in nature (my preferred method of player agency in fantasy gaming). Obviously this is a strong area where our tastes diverge.
I don't see any difference - as far as this particular issue is concerened - between setting DCs by reference to level, and setting them by reference to "objective" factors.

And I don't see any difference between combat and non-combat, either.
I do see a difference.

With "objective" DCs, a player can look at the book, see that the DC is 15, see that his bonus is +7, and make an informed decision on whether or not he can make that check. And, very importantly, he can do this in every game he plays in that runs close to RAW. It's a safe assumption for him.

With "scaling" DCs, a player needs to hope that his DM allows him to perform an action (you'd say "no" if the PC was heroic and not paragon), and then is at his mercy as to the DC (you made it a Hard DC).

Sure, if the DC is 35 and he only gets +10, he can't make it; that's as good as a "no" from the DM. However, the difference is that he knows what his PC is capable of and isn't capable of without having to get permission from the DM. This enables him, as a player, to reliably shape the story by utilizing his reliable abilities against DCs he is well aware of as a player. It's not reliant on the DM, and there's much, much less "Mother May I" approach to this style of play.
So in classic D&D, or in BW, the GM assigns a monster AC and hp (or, in BW, an armour rating and injury thresholds) based on "objective" factors. When the players (via their PCs) come to deal with the monster, they can either try to infer to the numbers from the GM's description, or they can muck in, have a go and learn by trial and error. (Perhaps there are also "monster knowledge" mechanics that mediate between a PC knowing the fictional state of affairs and a player knowing its mechanical expression.)
Well, kind of, yes (my game utilizes things like Knowledges and the Assess skill to determine DCs, uncover facts, and the like, so as to give more information to the PC in-game, and the player out-of-game).
If we turn away from monsters to (say) jumping a pit or climbing a wall, you can describe it to the players with enough precision that they can identify the objective factors that will set a DC (this is how BW approaches it - and it is taken for granted that it is the GM who has ultimately authority over DC-setting, though players are entitled to ask for one advantage die if they can point to some relevant advantage in the way they have narrated their PC's approach to the task; the player isn't actually told the DC until s/he has committed his/her PC to the action, at which point it is too late to pull out). Or, you can tell the players "that looks easy" or "that looks hard" - or even just state the DC - and again they can infer to the difficulty of the task for their PCs.
This, however, strikes me as a lesser form of player agency, because the DCs aren't usually as transparent, nor, more importantly, do they seem as reliable. And reliable DCs top transparent DCs when it comes to player agency.
For me, player agency is not about transparency of DCs as such - I use a range of approaches to DC disclosure, sometime relying on the players to infer them, sometimes stating them outright, my general goal being to keep the excitement of the game alive.
I do the same. Sometimes I'll say "the DC is X" when they're going to do something like climb a wall, other times I won't say what the DC is when they need to negotiate with the guard captain.

Again, though, if the players know the DC to climb these sorts of walls (with modifiers for these different conditions) are these DCs, then they can reliably build a PC that can climb well. If the formula for negotiating is known to the players, they can reliably guestimate what the DC might be, and then judge whether or not to take the risk based on that knowledge (whether you metagame to make this decision is a side issue; you can easily use a mechanic like a Knowledge or Assess check to gather the "DC" in game).

By giving reliable DCs with solid rules on how to hit those DCs, you empower the player to reliably shape the story in the way that they chose to express their interest. That is, if they've invested in negotiation skills, then they obviously would like to engage the game on at least that level, and they can do so reliably by using "objective" DCs.
For me, it's about the players being confident (i) that if they engage the action resolution mechanics they have a meaningful chance (and, for me, this is what level-based scaling achieves
Sometimes. You said that you would have said "no" to your player if they were heroic tier.

Yes, players can use even untrained skills with a chance of success, but the viability of that has been contested (one PC might get -1 to an untrained check to another PC's +10 bonus), and it can remain valid with an "objective" system if the DCs don't scale too high. My players often engage in skills they're not heavily invested in, they just don't expect the level of success that they'd get if they invested more.
I think the RC formulation is a recipe for suspending the action resolution mechanics, for railroading, and for the overriding of player agency.
I agree that it can definitely lead that direction. Again, it's why I like "objective" DCs; everyone knows where they stand, and by letting the dice fall where they may, you can have a very enjoyable game where everyone can reliably affect the story in the ways they intend to. There is no reliance on the DM to allow you to thrust your hands into the forge; on my end, I'd rather look up the Strength check DCs, check my Strength score, and then try it after knowing my luck (probably gauged in-game through a skill check).

Obviously it's a different approach from what you prefer, but it clearly allows for story control in the hands of the player, in my mind. And that's one reason I really, really like it. As always, play what you like :)

Balesir

Adventurer
Not addressed to me, but I keep seeing DM fiat and DM approval used like dirty words.

To many of us, that's not necessarily a negative and allows more player agency than a vast, rigidly defined set of circumstances and options for those circumstances. For me, it's always been easier to add complexity than to take something out, hence modules adding exactly what you describe for you and those like you to a streamlined core for those with positive player-DM relations would work for everyone (generic everyone, obviously not everyone will like the core, modules or anything else).
Just catching up, I see a common thread as presented in this post (not specifically - it's just an example I picked from several that seem to have the same assumption) that the opposite of "DM fiat/judgement/approval" is a complex system. I can think of one specific example (among several less stark ones) that says to me that this isn't true: "MGF" ("Maximum Game fun") - a system coined for Glorantha in (I think) the 1990s. Its resolution system is this:

"The GM and players describe stuff that happens. If no one objects, it just happens. If anyone (GM or player) objects to something happening, toss a coin; heads, it happens, tails, it doesn't"

Now, that's not the whole system - there's a character generation section, too. It's about a paragraph long, and comes with (in addition) an A5 size character sheet. Even so, it's not what I'd class as a "complex" system - but it is comprehensive, in that it covers any conceivable in-game situation, and it does not rely on GM fiat/judgement/approval to work. It has flaws in the "realism" department, sure, but no system is perfect (as we often assert, around here).

Tony Vargas

Legend
Which, as far as I know, depends largely on DM fiat to set the actual DCs (not great for player agency, in my opinion) or say what can even be attempted (also not great for player agency, in my opinion).
Well, the "p42" guidelines do provide DC, uh, guidelines that are tailored to the level of the characters, so the DM has some guidance as to what would be good for the game (not too easy nor too hard to be dramatic). And, the philosophy is one of "first say 'yes,'" so it's not as bad for player 'agency' or empowerment as you might think.

Objective DCs are great for players, because they have a clearer idea of what they can do, but they can also get in the way of the DM's story if they make something he'd like to include too hard or to easy. Thing is, even with 'objective' DCs, the DM can override them. :shrug:

Hussar

Legend
Well, the major issue with that is that gamers can feel constricted by the rules that are presented - indeed it can be a source of conflict if one person wants to use the rules and another doesn't.

What I want is to change the format of the game, so that there is a 'basic' D&D game that, while being entirely self contained and complete to run as is, can be immediately supplemented by a range of DMs guides that are specific to a particular gaming style.

So, rather than having a hodgepodge of 'advice' contained in a single Dungeon Master's Guide, you get a DM's guide for running the game with lots of clear mechanical resolutions, and another one for running the game freeform, and so on.

These books need not be mutually exclusive, and gaming groups can pick and choose their own approach. However, by doing things in this way, the designers are effectively saying there isn't 'one true way' of playing the game and effectively building flexibility into the game design.

I would hope that none of the methods you describe are so complex as to need an entire DMG to explain. Hopefully, you can present a number of different options within one DMG and cover most people's wants.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
Well, the "p42" guidelines do provide DC, uh, guidelines that are tailored to the level of the characters, so the DM has some guidance as to what would be good for the game (not too easy nor too hard to be dramatic). And, the philosophy is one of "first say 'yes,'" so it's not as bad for player 'agency' or empowerment as you might think.
Well, again, this is by permission of the GM. The GM should say "yes" to giving players things (within advice guidelines); the GM can use these guidelines (since they're not the rules of how hard tasks are) if he wants to allow all PCs to be able to complete a task. The things you named are essentially "here's how to be nice to your players for this style of play," not so much "here, players, have some abilities that allow you to affect the story in a reliable manner" like daily abilities are.

It's kind of like saying "the Barbarian player may want to rage, gaining a bonus to attack, damage, and toughness; when he does, you should probably say yes." Or, you could just give the Barbarian player an ability that lets him fly into a rage, where he gets those abilities, letting him have the power to choose when the effect occurs.
Objective DCs are great for players, because they have a clearer idea of what they can do, but they can also get in the way of the DM's story if they make something he'd like to include too hard or to easy. Thing is, even with 'objective' DCs, the DM can override them. :shrug:
Yes, exactly! Even with "objective" DCs, the GM can override them! But, by giving the players a solid baseline that they can work with in the huge majority of cases, they can reliably use their abilities (or even build their characters) to accomplish tasks that they're interested in, and flex their agenda in the fiction by reliably being able to accomplish tasks that they're good at.

Is someone trained in a skill with a +5 bonus from ability good at it? Sure, probably, if the GM lets him be. Other times, such as pemerton's case, he'll say "no" when you're only heroic level. Does this make sense from a rules-light, genre-logic perspective? Yes, it's easier that way. Does it particularly empower the player? Not without GM permission, which I don't find inherently empowering.

By using "objective" DCs, you give the players the ability to make informed decisions on what they can accomplish, but you can always leave the Rule 0 clause to correct DCs as necessary; "yes, it's normally DC 15, but I'm bumping it to 20 because of this factor." From my experience, this has never gone over badly with players, especially when it's spelled out that "these DCs might change based on outside factors" (anecdotal, but what else do we have here?).

At any rate, while "objective" DCs do have their downsides (it's harder to apply genre-logic to them; it might make a GM's "story" harder, as you pointed out), they're more player empowering than a rules-light system of "here's some guidelines that the GM gets to follow; the GM will decide how hard your task is, or if you can even attempt it." And, while there's always a place for that in an RPG, it's not particularly good at granting "player agency" in my opinion. As always, play what you like :)

keterys

First Post
At any rate, while "objective" DCs do have their downsides (it's harder to apply genre-logic to them; it might make a GM's "story" harder, as you pointed out), they're more player empowering than a rules-light system of "here's some guidelines that the GM gets to follow; the GM will decide how hard your task is, or if you can even attempt it." And, while there's always a place for that in an RPG, it's not particularly good at granting "player agency" in my opinion. As always, play what you like :)
Actually, you know the thing that seems to block people from doing things the most in games that I've observed?

A rule existing for it.

That is to say, let someone describe how they do something. In an environment in which there are no penalties for doing so, they'll often describe themselves doing something more cinematic or impressive.

If you add in rules to make that action harder to perform, they're less likely to do it. Especially since those rules will often make that action actively detrimental.

Ie, very few systems look kindly on the stunts Legolas performed in the movies.

That's one thing I noticed going from older editions of D&D or Earthdawn into 3rd edition D&D, for example. People were _far_ less likely to do cinematic maneuvering, because they didn't want to screw up their full round actions, or didn't want to provoke or make Climb / Jump / Tumble checks for no (or insufficient) purpose.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
Actually, you know the thing that seems to block people from doing things the most in games that I've observed?

A rule existing for it.

That is to say, let someone describe how they do something. In an environment in which there are no penalties for doing so, they'll often describe themselves doing something more cinematic or impressive.

If you add in rules to make that action harder to perform, they're less likely to do it. Especially since those rules will often make that action actively detrimental.
I touched on that in my nod to "genre-logic" in the downsides to "objective" DCs. So, consider that already acknowledged?
Ie, very few systems look kindly on the stunts Legolas performed in the movies.
Oh, my personal thoughts on the matter...
That's one thing I noticed going from older editions of D&D or Earthdawn into 3rd edition D&D, for example. People were _far_ less likely to do cinematic maneuvering, because they didn't want to screw up their full round actions, or didn't want to provoke or make Climb / Jump / Tumble checks for no (or insufficient) purpose.
This has more to do with the inherent "gonzo" of the "objective" DCs, and not "objective" DCs themselves. My reference to Mutants and Masterminds earlier was to demonstrate that.

However, pemerton is right in that strong use of "objective" DCs would likely cut away a lot of "gonzo" from D&D. And I'm okay with that, personally, at lower levels. This is just where people's wants begin to differ, and I understand the objective to what I want.

In my RPG at higher hit die (13-19), though, I've had players jump down 40 feet with no damage, jump off of a raised platform onto a dragon's back, or climb a wall at 90 feet high and jump onto a very powerful wind elemental, or shoot a line of chain into a dragon and brace to hold it if it flies away, or climb a 100 ft. tall ice creature to reach the weak spot on top, or...

When using "objective" DCs, it doesn't prevent this sort of play from happening. It just regulates it. My players have looked at the rules on grappling large creature, or climbing them, or climbing and jumping, or negotiating, or crafting, or leading armies, or killing, or magic, etc., and all come up with impressive PCs, because they know exactly what they can do. And that empowers them to do it.

Where "objective" DCs get sticky are in genre-logic, making the GM's "story" harder by locking some things into place, and setting the level of "objective" DCs that will satisfy multiple groups. But, are they more player empowering than hoping that the GM lets you do something, and that the DC isn't too high? I think so, personally. As always, play what you like :)

Nagol

Unimportant
<snip>

Regarding the downsides:

Genre-logic could be used to construct the objective DC, couldn't it? That way the two should be in conflict only rarely. For example, in a wuxia genre game, balancing on the top if bamboo poles is something relatively easy so the Balance DC should be 15 -- within reach of a 1st level character and impossible to fail for a 10th level character who cares about balance. The GM can present the objective DCs for his campaign up front. This helps the players understand the style of campaign and helps them chart a trajectory for the character.

A GM having a "story" inherently limits player empowerment isn't it? It implies player agency must be constrained to items that fit within that framework that reflects the story being told. So while a valid style for DMing, not the best choice for maximising player empowerment.

Last edited:

Remove ads