Anyone check out Radiance RPG yet?

AncientSpirits

First Post
Well, I don't know about dragon stats as I'm looking at the player handbook but I did throw something together in Excel for the Ergo and it's variations. I would not attempt to replace your full page descriptions with these stat blocks, they are only for combat quick reference and don't make a lot of sense if you haven't first read the full creature explanation (especially the abilities)

Also, I figured it would be nice if each variation was given a full stat block of it's own to save all future DM's the trouble of manually building each variant themselves every time they use one which I imagine would be very frequent. I understand your method saves a lot a space allowing you to cram more variations into a book but what if the stat blocks were an additional download available to anyone who purchased the relevant product? If each stat block could be copy/pasted independently then DMs could gather all the monster types for a given encounter onto one page.

Full disclosure: I've never played any DnD earlier than 4e so maybe I'm just spoiled as I've never had to take time to build monsters.

View attachment 55673

Kudos Options, this is a really nice presentation! For folks coming from pre-4E, Radiance RPG is *relatively* convenient as-is. And personally, regarding variants like the savant ergo etc, I feel adding +1 or whatever to some key stats is also pretty easy--the good news is that all the monsters work according to a formula you see for the ergo, so variants *get* easy with a little practice. That said, what you've done is a great example, really very concise. Not sure when I might have the time for something like this, but perhaps as a longterm project...

Option

First Post
Kudos Options, this is a really nice presentation! For folks coming from pre-4E, Radiance RPG is *relatively* convenient as-is. And personally, regarding variants like the savant ergo etc, I feel adding +1 or whatever to some key stats is also pretty easy--the good news is that all the monsters work according to a formula you see for the ergo, so variants *get* easy with a little practice. That said, what you've done is a great example, really very concise. Not sure when I might have the time for something like this, but perhaps as a longterm project...

Thanks for the Kudos. Looks like I'll be getting hard copies of the books pretty soon as my wife and bother/sister in-law are interested in playing. We tried 4e as our first roleplaying experience together and didn't care for the grid combat, constrictive rules, and lack of flavor. Radiance seems to have a ton more to offer in the flavor department and the race/class/theme setup should help our new players breath more life into their characters (which were pretty lifeless in our 4e game) The rules are still a bit more thorough than I think our group needs/wants but that can easily be fixed with a bit of DM handwaiving. One question though, does the DM guidebook give any suggestions for how to build combat encounters? (i.e. any guidelines for how many monsters of what level for a given PC party level and size?) I don't want to slaughter my new players by mistake.

Also, while reading over the players handbook PDF, I noticed a few typos. Do you want players to send them to you as we find them?

Lastly, are there any adventures available now or in the near future for levels 1-4?

Thanks again for the great system, we're looking forward to giving it a spin after the holidays.

AncientSpirits

First Post
Thanks for the Kudos. Looks like I'll be getting hard copies of the books pretty soon as my wife and bother/sister in-law are interested in playing. We tried 4e as our first roleplaying experience together and didn't care for the grid combat, constrictive rules, and lack of flavor. Radiance seems to have a ton more to offer in the flavor department and the race/class/theme setup should help our new players breath more life into their characters (which were pretty lifeless in our 4e game) The rules are still a bit more thorough than I think our group needs/wants but that can easily be fixed with a bit of DM handwaiving. One question though, does the DM guidebook give any suggestions for how to build combat encounters? (i.e. any guidelines for how many monsters of what level for a given PC party level and size?) I don't want to slaughter my new players by mistake.

Also, while reading over the players handbook PDF, I noticed a few typos. Do you want players to send them to you as we find them?

Lastly, are there any adventures available now or in the near future for levels 1-4?

Thanks again for the great system, we're looking forward to giving it a spin after the holidays.

I'm a fan of hand-waving too, at least as a GM! If you find there's more than you want, it's fairly easy to cut out elements like themes and deities and just replace them with a generic set of "action points". You can also leave out electrotech and even magic items until you want to introduce them. While those don't shrink the rules per say, that make it easier for newbies to not feel overwhelmed.

The GM's guide says more about building encounters. See page 31 of that book. Also I've attempted to post the image here.

encounters.png

We're still working on the level 5-7 adventure. The next one would be an intro levels 1-4. Yeah, I should have started with the lower level adventure first, but mid levels are so much fun! :)

The GM's guide has two-dozen encounter areas (pages 182 to 206).

For example, the vampire crypt on page 205 includes a complete map, descriptive text, and an "encounter matrix". The matrix lists typical creatures to be found at that site, the page they appear on, their level, and so forth.

For example, using page 205, you've got a lot to run a quick adventure. Say you have four 1-st level PCs, I'd set up 4 or 5 encounters, each with creatures from the matrix. May 4 skeletons (each lvl 1), 4 giant rats (each lvl 1), 2 kindred townies (each lvl 2), and 2 vampire spawn (lvl 4). That comes to 20 levels total, which is perfect to advance all the PCs to 2nd level.

Glad you are enjoying it! Feel free to share how it goes.

PS. Someone just emailed me with a list of typos. So if you have free time, sure, you might stop some new ones. I'll release an updated PDF sans typos after the holidays. It's amazing how multiple editorial passes and such fail to catch some of these buggers!

Option

First Post
Oh wow, thank you for the very thorough reply. It is funny but I keep coming up with questions while reading the free pdf and then later they get answered after a get a better overall understanding of the game/setting. For example, the sorcerer didn't make much sense to me (why does this class turn into a dragon?) until I read more of the races, Dracks and Kobolds specifically. My confusion was only because I was trying to understand the class without the full context.

On a different note, have you followed the D&D Next playtest at all? The latest version which was released on Monday introduced a new mechanic for skill training. After playing with the numbers in a spreadsheet and thinking it through for a few days, I am very impressed. It is simple, elegant and seems to resolve a couple of issues I've always had with the traditional D&D approach without creating new ones. If you have checked it out, I'd be interested to hear your take on it and if something like it could easily be applied to Radiance. I’m no game designer but I’ve taken a stab at it and I think it is possible.

**EDIT** Ug, after playing with it a bit more, I am having trouble converting the skill bonus abilities since some give +2 and other give +4 or 5. Those smaller +2 increments require a greater level of granularity which makes the conversion difficult when combined with the wide range for skill bonus totals (0-40).

Last edited:

AncientSpirits

First Post
On a different note, have you followed the D&D Next playtest at all? The latest version which was released on Monday introduced a new mechanic for skill training. After playing with the numbers in a spreadsheet and thinking it through for a few days, I am very impressed. It is simple, elegant and seems to resolve a couple of issues I've always had with the traditional D&D approach without creating new ones. If you have checked it out, I'd be interested to hear your take on it and if something like it could easily be applied to Radiance. I’m no game designer but I’ve taken a stab at it and I think it is possible.

One of our play-test GMs is part of D&D Next play-testing as well. Though his group sort of gave up on it for now, in favor of Radiance RPG, he still follows all the updates. I'll ask him about it.

Skills was a main mechanic I wasn't fully happy with in Radiance RPG. In practice, it works fine. Most players only take a few skill boosting abilities But it doesn't appeal like it could to the low-math crowd. I believe it could be better. That said, to change how skills work in Radiance would be a monumental undertaking.

Ug, after playing with it a bit more, I am having trouble converting the skill bonus abilities since some give +2 and other give +4 or 5. Those smaller +2 increments require a greater level of granularity which makes the conversion difficult when combined with the wide range for skill bonus totals (0-40).

I'm unsure what you mean by "converting"? From 4E to Radiance or ...?

Option

First Post
One of our play-test GMs is part of D&D Next play-testing as well. Though his group sort of gave up on it for now, in favor of Radiance RPG, he still follows all the updates. I'll ask him about it.

Skills was a main mechanic I wasn't fully happy with in Radiance RPG. In practice, it works fine. Most players only take a few skill boosting abilities But it doesn't appeal like it could to the low-math crowd. I believe it could be better. That said, to change how skills work in Radiance would be a monumental undertaking.

Ug, after playing with it a bit more, I am having trouble converting the skill bonus abilities since some give +2 and other give +4 or 5. Those smaller +2 increments require a greater level of granularity which makes the conversion difficult when combined with the wide range for skill bonus totals (0-40).

I'm unsure what you mean by "converting"? From 4E to Radiance or ...?

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I was attempting to convert the Radiance skill system to something similar to the newest DnD Next mechanic which replaces the flat numerical bonus used to represent improving skill ability with a single dice that gets larger as your skill level improves. Instead of being trained in Athletics and getting a +2 to your rolls, you would add a d4 to your d20 roll. If you improved that skill again, you would then be rolling a d6 in addition to your d20. This progression goes all the way up to an additional d12.

The things I like about this mechanic is that it replaces the linear probability of a single d20 roll with plateau probability curve which I believe better represents real life. Since skill rolls will have a higher probably of totaling something in the middle and lower probability of rolling the extremes, I think this gives lower level characters a bit more consistency and predictability to their trained skill rolls since the results will be less "swingy." Additionally, characters will higher skill levels will no longer auto-succeed because their high static numerical bonuses are replace by a larger skill dice.

On a somewhat related topic, did you factor min/maxing play-styles into the design of skill abilities? For example, it seems fairly easy to get a level 1 Goliath Barbarian up to a +20 on his Athletics rolls and that can get up to +29 by level 2. That is just one example but if something similar can be done with other skills, I am thinking such a wide variance of skill ability would make it difficult to design adventures for a given character level.

AncientSpirits

First Post
I was attempting to convert the Radiance skill system to something similar to the newest DnD Next mechanic which replaces the flat numerical bonus used to represent improving skill ability with a single dice that gets larger as your skill level improves. Instead of being trained in Athletics and getting a +2 to your rolls, you would add a d4 to your d20 roll. If you improved that skill again, you would then be rolling a d6 in addition to your d20. This progression goes all the way up to an additional d12.

That sounds really cool. Yes, I can see the benefits of this mechanic, especially against auto-success for higher level PCs.

On a somewhat related topic, did you factor min/maxing play-styles into the design of skill abilities? For example, it seems fairly easy to get a level 1 Goliath Barbarian up to a +20 on his Athletics rolls and that can get up to +29 by level 2. That is just one example but if something similar can be done with other skills, I am thinking such a wide variance of skill ability would make it difficult to design adventures for a given character level.

That was a deliberate design choice, and it works in practice when the full consequences of the game world come into play. I'll explain...

In terms of motivation, I was irritated by 3.5's disconnect between flavor and crunch on skill boosts. E.g. "After years training in the mountains, you have amazing physical prowess. Add +2 bonus to Climb and Jump checks." Ugh. Fake and a poor benefit for a feat. Similarly, NPC experts tended to be okay but sort of lack luster in their own professions.

I went in a new direction: Skills matter. In part, I wanted to capture some of the flavor of d20 Modern, which presents a mundane world where PCs rely on skills a lot more. I feel that's more in line with the Radiance setting. That barbarian is, in practice, a lot more athletic than his wizard counterpart.

On page 102, Table 5-1, the skill check results go higher than the usual d20 game. So that's one thing to keep in mind.

Also, some max designs aren't actually possible. For example, abilities with the same name--such as Skill Focus--don't stack. Some players "don't notice" or "forget" about those limits. It behooves the GM to check PC skill bonuses that look suspicious.

While a PC can boost skills pretty high early in his career, he is likely plateauing early. So if he has +20 at 2nd level, he may be "stuck" with that for the next 10 levels, though frankly that's a nice place to be stuck. And he lost out on other abilities to get that early.

With a few exceptions, the fact that one PC is amazing is of little consolation to the party as a whole. So the barbarian has no problem jumping that chasm. That doesn't help the other PCs much except to stimulate more problem solving (like setting up a rope for everyone else to get over the chasm the hard way).

Townies (at only 2nd level) and alders (at 6th level) tend to quite good at their professions, skill-wise. Smart PCs really want to visit these folks and pay for their services or recruit them as followers!

To sum up these points, here's how I use skill checks in an adventure:

1) Set *important* skill DCs in a standardized way: 15 + 1.5 * level.

2) Assume at least 1 PC in the party can make this roll most of the time.

3) The PCs really should have townies as hirelings or followings, like in 1st Edition. If the PCs bother to think ahead even a little, they'll have an idea of the challenges they face and hire someone who can do whatever they can't. Naturally, they have a vested interest to keep such NPCs alive!

So I *assume* at least one PC can make great checks in each skill, and if none can, they hire someone.

-----------------

I'd be very interested in a translation of Radiance skill checks into 5E checks. Maybe like this:

Idea: A +1 to +2 bonus translates to +1d4; otherwise, every +3 bonus in Radiance translates to a +1d6 bonus (round down, max +5d6).

The point of the 5d6 cap is to discourage over-inventment in skills, which is really counter-productiv to an effective character build. Thoughts?

Option

First Post
In terms of motivation, I was irritated by 3.5's disconnect between flavor and crunch on skill boosts. E.g. "After years training in the mountains, you have amazing physical prowess. Add +2 bonus to Climb and Jump checks." Ugh. Fake and a poor benefit for a feat. Similarly, NPC experts tended to be okay but sort of lack luster in their own professions.

I totally agree and almost think that skill advancement should be separated out from Ability/Feat advancement. Maybe some of those skill bonus abilities that contribute to the class’ theme (such as Barbarians and Athletics) could be changed to apply some kind of situational bonus to the skill or allow the skill to be used in a unique way?

I went in a new direction: Skills matter. In part, I wanted to capture some of the flavor of d20 Modern, which presents a mundane world where PCs rely on skills a lot more. I feel that's more in line with the Radiance setting. That barbarian is, in practice, a lot more athletic than his wizard counterpart.

I really agree with making skills matter. My first table top RPG was the old WEG Star Wars D6 system in which every roll was a skill roll. (Want to be a better fighter? Put more points into the appropriate weapon skill) Skills/Attributes really defined who a character was in that system and I kind of missed that when I started playing DnD. My first impression of DnD was that it seemed like a tactical combat game with a half-hearted skill system tacked on the side.

Also, some max designs aren't actually possible. For example, abilities with the same name--such as Skill Focus--don't stack. Some players "don't notice" or "forget" about those limits. It behooves the GM to check PC skill bonuses that look suspicious.

While a PC can boost skills pretty high early in his career, he is likely plateauing early. So if he has +20 at 2nd level, he may be "stuck" with that for the next 10 levels, though frankly that's a nice place to be stuck. And he lost out on other abilities to get that early.

Yes, I did notice that depending on race/class/theme you choose, you might see the same skill ability available under two ability categories. However, I believe I avoided this with my Goliath Barbarian example. But maybe I have overlooked something?

Lvl 0 (Athletics = +15)
+5 – Race: Powerful Build
+5 – Race: 18 in Str +2 for race = 20
+5 – Theme (Hunter): Action Ready

Lvl 1 (Athletics = +20)
+5 – Class: Outdoor Athlete

Lvl 2 (Athletics = +29)
+5 – Race: Athlete
+4 – Race: Mountaineer

Lvl 4 (Athletics = +34)
+ 5 – Class: Leap

Lvl 5 (Athletics = +38)
+4 – Class: One with Nature

Lvl 9 (Athletics = +42)
+4 – Class: Barbarian King

Either way, you are right that even in this example the min/max’d skill plateaus early with several levels before further improvement is possible (and even then it only allows another two upgrades).

With a few exceptions, the fact that one PC is amazing is of little consolation to the party as a whole. So the barbarian has no problem jumping that chasm. That doesn't help the other PCs much except to stimulate more problem solving (like setting up a rope for everyone else to get over the chasm the hard way).

That is a good point. In most situations you only need one character who is good at a given skill to overcome the obstacle.

Townies (at only 2nd level) and alders (at 6th level) tend to quite good at their professions, skill-wise. Smart PCs really want to visit these folks and pay for their services or recruit them as followers!

To sum up these points, here's how I use skill checks in an adventure:

1) Set *important* skill DCs in a standardized way: 15 + 1.5 * level.

2) Assume at least 1 PC in the party can make this roll most of the time.

3) The PCs really should have townies as hirelings or followings, like in 1st Edition. If the PCs bother to think ahead even a little, they'll have an idea of the challenges they face and hire someone who can do whatever they can't. Naturally, they have a vested interest to keep such NPCs alive!

So I *assume* at least one PC can make great checks in each skill, and if none can, they hire someone.

I like that skill DC equation... nice an straight-forward. On the issue of hirelings however, I am a bit reluctant to use them. Being relatively inexperienced as a DM, I already have my hands full keeping track of all the NPCs in combat while trying to keep up a good pace so I’m reluctant to introduce more (which would require more monsters to balance out the addition of hirelings?... or could I use non-combat hirelings?)

-----------------

I'd be very interested in a translation of Radiance skill checks into 5E checks. Maybe like this:

Idea: A +1 to +2 bonus translates to +1d4; otherwise, every +3 bonus in Radiance translates to a +1d6 bonus (round down, max +5d6).

The point of the 5d6 cap is to discourage over-inventment in skills, which is really counter-productiv to an effective character build. Thoughts?

If I am understanding correctly, I think that could work. So the conversion would break down as follows?

+1 --> +1d4
+2 --> +1d4
+3 --> +1d6
+4 --> +1d4+1d6
+5 --> +1d4+1d6
+6 --> +2d6
+7 --> +2d6+1d4
+17--> +5d6+1d4

If that’s right, I think it could work but we’d need to cut the ability skill bonus amounts in half or else character will max out their favored skills in no time. Additionally, DC levels will need to be cut in half as well to account for the greatly reduced PC skill roll results. Finally, it might be a good thing but, lowering the skill bonus amounts would boost the value of attribute bonuses which can quickly become inconsequential in the current system.

I think the only downside is that a lot of people are turned off by rolling and adding up “handfuls of dice.” The DnD Next mechanic only rolls two dice (d20 + skill dice) which seems to be acceptable by most of the community that has bothered to comment on it.

I came up with the following mechanic which creates 14 tiers of skill level and converts the current +2 bonuses from abilities into “+1 skill level” and the +4 and +5 abilities become “+2 skill levels” The skills levels themselves are as follows.

1 = +1 (average = 1)
2 = +1d3 (average = 2)
3 = +1d4 (average = 2.5)
4 = +1d6 (average = 3.5)
5 = +1d8 (average = 4.5)
6 = +1d4+1d4 (average = 5)
7 = +1d6+1d4 (average = 6)
8 = +1d6+1d6 (average = 7)
9 = +1d8+1d6 (average = 8)
14 = +1d12+1d12 (average = 13)

Once again, the DC levels would have to be cut in half and the Attribute Modifiers would be worth more as they would still be a fixed number added to the dice results. This does limit the max number of dice to three but the max skill bonus is now 13 (average 2d12) which still gives the d20 roll a LOT of weight considering how many character resources have been used to get this level of skill bonus.

In other words, a character would invest a lot of his resources to get seven "2 level bonuses" (+5 bonuses in the current system) to max out a skill and get 2d12 added to his d20. But a +13 may not be enough bonus to justify the cost since it doesn't significantly overshadow the d20.

Maybe if I replaced the d20 with 2d10 that would work better since it would introduce more probablilty curve and would make the +13 more valuable since the 2d10 would much more reliably stay in the midrange of results. But, if I did that I'm right back to rolling too many dice and expecting all the players to have access to 4d10.

Last edited:

AncientSpirits

First Post
worldmap-vsm.jpg

This map shows the lands of O'arth, which will appear in the Expansion Kit as the default setting for Radiance RPG. In this era, O'arth is equivalent to our early 20th century.

Every few days over the coming weeks, I'll detail major powers of O'arth, starting with the Commonweal and Greater Gath. I've posted a much larger version of the map at www.Facebook.com/RadianceRPG site.

O'arth is physically smaller but denser than our world, the map is missing ocean and should be about 20% wider, and the black lines crossing the world approximate major rail, shipping, spellship, and dirigible paths.

FYI: Scale 1 inch = 1,000 miles (or 1 cm = 630 km)
The world is about 4,200 miles in diameter, or 13,200 miles in circumference, keeping mind about 2 inches of ocean on the map are not shown.

Attachments

• worldmap-small.jpg
    worldmap-small.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 4,170

AncientSpirits

First Post
The map above and lands below will be part of the Radiance RPG Expansion Kit.

7 locales to the north:
--> Commonweal of Brayton, Wode, and Avalon = United Kingdom, with elements of the northeastern United States where the "indians" were elves.
--> Infernal Trust of Greater Gath = Soviet Russia and Nazi Germany between World Wars I and II, with warlocks and actual devils in charge.
--> The Legacy, or the 9 Kingdoms = Europe in all its richness. It is recovering from invasion by Gath and suffers many long-standing rivalries.
--> Stergin and Jonivaar = Iceland, Denmark, Finland, and the other Scandinavian nations, where viking sailors and warriors remain a potent force.
--> Free Land of Marshak = blend of Australia and southern USA. Commonweal colonists displaced the native lizardfolk, tengu, and grippli in order to mine, and also revolted to start their own nation.
--> Ancient Sargon, with Holy City State of Helios = Greece, Italy, and a blend of Vatican City and Jerusalem. Here lies a crashed voidship that first populated this world.
--> Snow Country and Stars Highlands = A blend of Siberia and Scottland, where tribes battle the cold, hungry gnolls, and frost giants.

7 more lands, to the south:
--> Empire of Nymeria = 19th century Ottoman Empire, a blend of Turkey and ancient Persia, with genies. Mostly home to decadent slith and their servants.
--> Poisonwastes of Kethric and Xoar = Post-nuclear/supernatural disaster zone filled with mutants, undead, and crazed road warriors.
--> Heavenly Thronehold of Chianna = China, more like today, a rival of the other great powers. It's mages tap a shared pool of elemental magic.
--> The Dragon Sands, Orc Badlands, and Ruins of Balistad = Egyptian desert, shades of Dark Sun, and such. Dracks and dragon kings rule here. Fire giants provide muscle.
--> Tempus Jungle: A blend of sub-Saharan Africa, the Amazon, and south-east Asia, where ruins crumble in hot jungles and ancient cities still like hidden.
--> Rune, the Quiet Kingdom: Similar to medieval Japan, this island nation is controlled by the hive-like dromites, whose void-ship crashed here centuries ago.
--> Boddar and the Shadowlands = Horrid places of legend, swamps and badlands where evil spirits and hateful, hungry monsters roam.

Not Shown:
--> Vanished Atlan = Sunken Atlantis, its people punished for taunting the gods with heretical magic, its location now unknown.

Remove ads