Shin Megami Tensei RPG Getting English Language Edition

First English edition for the Megami Tensei/Persona RPG

The popular Japanese RPG based on the JRPG video game Shin Megami Tensei and its spin-off Persona is getting its first English language translation as Shin Megami Tensei The Roleplaying Game: Tokyo Conception from Lionwing Publishing and Atlus.

Slices_2.jpg

The tabletop RPG has been out in Japan since 1993 with five editions in print. The initial launch will include three different covers – “Death Variant”, “Nocturn Variant”, and “Nihilo Variant” – available in PDF for $30, hardcover for $50, a combo with both for $60, and an ultimate bundle with all three covers and a PDF edition. From the product description:
Shin Megami Tensei - The Roleplaying Game: Tokyo Conception is a deep yet accessible TTRPG for 3-5 players + 1 GM (Game Master) that perfectly captures themes of the original Shin Megami Tensei™ video game series, allowing players to wield familiar spells such as Agi and Megido against legendary demons like Jack Frost, Metatron, and the Moirae Sisters.

Tokyo Conception further preserves the franchise's essence by incorporating staple elements such as demon negotiation, the Affinity system, and punishing status ailments like Poison and Stun while also introducing more typical TTRPG mechanics such as critical hits, fumbles, and exploding dice, to ensure encounters are both challenging and rewarding.

Slices3.jpg

KEY FEATURES
  • EXQUISITE WORLD DETAIL – Tokyo Conception is based on the world of Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne™. The game designers have recreated every region with great attention to detail. The book offers nearly 100 pages of stats for every demon, including bosses like Ahriman, Baal Avatar, Noah, and Kagutsuchi itself, and plenty of seeds for brand-new adventures.
  • A BOOK SUITABLE FOR ALL SKILL LEVELS – For video game enthusiasts who enjoy Japanese RPGs and are interested in exploring the world of tabletop roleplaying games, Tokyo Conception is an excellent starting point, as no prior knowledge of the Shin Megami Tensei franchise is needed to enjoy the game. For existing and seasoned TTPRG enthusiasts, Tokyo Conception contains plenty of familiar gameplay features, compelling pre-made scenarios, engaging mechanics, and a deep character advancement system that can be played over days, weeks, months, or longer!
  • CLASSES AND PROGRESSION – In Tokyo Conception, players start out by choosing one of three character classes: Human, Fiend, or Demon, with each class possessing its own unique strengths and weaknesses.
  • FACTION DYNAMICS – While a lot of Tokyo Conception deals with fighting demons, it definitely doesn't stop there. Kagutsuchi still burns brightly in the middle of the Vortex World, and it awaits to judge those who would offer their Reason as the basis for the new world. Will players support one of the three existing factions? Help the manikins develop their own Reason? Or will they use the robust faction rules to establish their very own? The choice is theirs… if they have the will.
  • DEMON NEGOTIATION – Similar to the video game series, players must carefully navigate Tokyo Conception’s Talk Flowchart and use an array of talk skills to engage in conversation and negotiate with demons to earn items, gems, or even acquire their Demon Cards. Make a wrong move, though, and the demon may attack or even flee entirely!
The physical editions are expected to begin shipping in Q3 2024.

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
Super hyped!

Also stoked that this is based on Nocturne and not Persona.

I know these are reprints of older Japanese RPGs, which is probably why. I like Persona games, but the last few have really been robbed of the SMT edge.

Last edited:

Abstruse

Legend
Pretty excited by this!

Will definitely need more details on the mechanics before I buy, but will watch closely.
Looks like a d100 roll-under. Unsurprising considering the popularity of CoC in Japan, but it's definitely not BRP.
Super hyped!

Also stoked that this is based on Nocturne and not Persona.

I know these are reprints of older Japanese RPGs, which is probably why. I like Persona games, but the last few have really been robbed of the SMT edge.
The version in Japanese right now is the 5th Edition that was released in 2005, but I saw a Discord discussion about it and what's in the screenshots don't match those rules. So it might be an unannounced 6th Edition and they're waiting for the Japaense publisher to announce before revealing any big system info.

Edit: I should state that this is all second-hand info (aside from the d100 roll-under, that's just from zooming in on the character sheet). I don't know too much about the franchise because some of Atlus's business and public relations decisions involving streamers and YouTubers put me off them, plus my understanding is that both Shin Megami Tensei and Persona are firmly in the "It gets really good after the first 20 hours..." genre and the Like a Dragon series is the only franchise like that I have room for in my life.

Nice. There was a leak about this a while ago (Amazon jumping the gun, as always). I've heard vaguely about this game for YEARS, so seeing it in English is exciting.

kronovan

Adventurer
Looks like a d100 roll-under...Edit: I should state that this is all second-hand info (aside from the d100 roll-under, that's just from zooming in on the character sheet)...
If you listen to this youtube linked on the Dicebreaker newsite , which seems to be just a podcast, it's definitely a d100 roll-even-or-under play mechanic. I didn't listen too long into it, but got that in combat damage is rolled as 2d10 + base damage and rolling 10% or less of a combat ability results in a crit with all damage after addition doubled. All d10 explode on a roll of 10 and the damage values in general seem to be high with results being in at least the 20s. One player had a combat passive that let them roll a 3rd, addtional d10 for all their attacks - lots of damage!

It does seem to be a bit clunky for some dice rolls; eg. initiative is 1d10 + Agility with rolls of 10 exploding. And if 2 players tie they have to roll off to break it. For the intiative played out in that sessiion, it did result in quite a few rolls before the exact order was known. For combat encounter successes, players are awarded Maca and XP. Still, it's d100 at its core which IMO is a plus and I don't want to nick pick too much.

I enjoyed playing the Shin Megami Imagine MMORPG despite some notable warts and enjoyed SMT Strange Journeys and Devil Survivor on my Nintendo DS. Last year I got the remaster of Nocturne on my PC and that's been my best play experience yet - terrific game! I've helped GMs adapt the SMT universe to Savage Worlds, but I'm as big a fan of BRP & d100, so this definitely peaks my interest.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
An RPG where you explicitly communicate with demons in exchange for items and abilities! Where was this in the 1980s?
The novel series this is based on (Megami Tensei) is from the 80s and very 80s. There is an OVA or two based on it.

Last edited:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads