YOUR IDEAS FOR STAR WARS CELESTIALS: No Idea Is Too Outrageous

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
The moonbase has an elevator system next to the observation deck. The elevator is a room with shimmering red walls. Looking into the room it appears to have a similar ceiling. Actually being in the room one sees a shimmering tunnel all the way to the star ravaged planet. Being in the tunnel it appears to be completely transparent. The elevator is broken, but the gravity generators are not. One could walk up the wall, and then walk all the way down to the planet inside the transparent tunnel of energy. It's only three hundred thousand kilometers, but safe from the storm. :p

Alternatively (if they can't fix the elevator or figure out a faster way to travel through the tunnel) they could use their ship/s (once they get them here if they left them back at the barrier generator planet) to fly through the star storm. It's dangerous. Really dangerous. Like "I fought in the Corellian Salt Skirmish. Everyone was either injured or dead after that. I'd rather do that again" dangerous.

The planet looks like it fought a boxing match with artillery support and spacecruisers against another planet for twentyfive years and lost every round. It's broken, torn apart, cut open, blackened, scrorched, melted in parts, and oddly disjointed. But just like the hyperspace barrier generator something seems to be keeping its gravity field intact. Everything looks stable. Not stable as in safe. Stable as in 'I built this crazy thing using Lego and somehow its still standing. I think I could add a group of characters on this part without anything falling apart'. The star storm occasionally damages some parts of the planet and more rarely hits other parts clean off. The characters get the sense that this has been more frequent recently, and that the planet won't be here for much longer (a year perhaps, if it gets lucky).

Arriving through the elevator the characters reach a barely even there anymore elevator shaft built into the planet that reaches all the way down to the more intact portions. The lower into the crust they get the cooler the temperature becomes. Finally they reach a landing station from the inside. It is wrecked, powerless, and airless.

Arriving by ship it very quicky becomes clear that the only safe time and path to fly to the planet is when the moon is blocking the view to the star. They can also detect a power source deep inside the crust of the planet. Following the source leads them directly to the broken down dock. Landing on it the characters find themselves on top of the airless landing station.

The doors deeper in are locked with no observable way of opening them and the characters will need to figure out a way to get the power back up.

Getting the power back will activate the doors, the protective shield for the dock, and the elevator back to the moon.

It will also activate the defenses on the landing station. These are droids made of pure Force. The power system is Light Side, their weapons are Dark Side. What binds them together seems, neutral?

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Okay. You did say no idea is too outrageous. :p

When the characters finally reach the very center of the broken planet they find themselves inside the control room of the Force Dimension generator. The violet star isn't actually there. It's a Force Ghost. A supermassive Force Ghost of a star built of Living Force and destroyed for this very purpose and then bound into becoming a generator for creating a gateway into.. something.

Fiddling with the controls the characters find they are first able to redirect the whiplashes of the starstorm, then that they can calm the star down, and finally that they can even control the shape the star makes. Forming the star into the same shape as the barrier generator they originally discovered (that is, CUTTING THE SUPERMASSIVE STAR IN HALF AND THEN SEPARATING THE HALVES AS IF IT WAS JUST AN ORANGE) creates a ginormous hole where the barrier planet had the magma axle. It's clearly a hole leading somewhere, and black, and despite its blackness it's somehow more black than space and black enough that the brightness of the star around it is visibly diminished by its presence.

If the characters take a ship and fly into the hole the actual adventure begins. Here there be Celestials. Prepare for the guardians at the door lest doom squash thee.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Unfortunately I'm running a bit short on ideas for the next stage. I've always felt that a proper characters versus gods or semigods encounter of any game should be more philosophy and puzzle than a pure power struggle, and those aren't easy to design.

It comes to mind that operating the artifacts earlier and exploring them (like the symbol shaped continents) the characters should have come in contact with some sort of information or histories about their creators that they could then use in better understanding how to deal with said creators. But if the Celestials have by now bypassed their earlier creations those might all be outdated information. And as for whatever they now call home.. I don't know. What are the characters equipped to deal with?

Edit:
Hmm. Somehow I keep thinking about somethign vague from Ulysses 31 that I barely even remember anymore.

Last edited:

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Well, if you need adventure ideas, you can go here and there are a couple threads. You may have to hunt a bit, as things got burried or truncated during theForce.net's domain move.

RobShanti

Explorer
Some great ideas in this thread so far, but yes, it's the "next stage" that I'm at now, and need ideas for. I'm not sure how to continue my story with the PCs facing Celestial entities. I'm thinking about Kubrik's 2001 and stuff like that, but my ideas are all so derivative and hard to make an RPG session out of, so that's why I'm hoping for a fresh perspective in this forum.

As for what the PCs are equipped to deal with...well, they're only 11th to 13th level, but there has to be more to a good RPG session than just combat and skill challenges.

CAFRedblade

Explorer
If the PC's are going against Celetials, you could do a similar tact in what the novels did fighting Aboleth. It took several attempts, each one weakening her(it) along the way. And it took users of both sides of the Force to stop her, in theory killing her, but even then they aren't sure she's dead...

Or, you could require some specific relics that would dampen, weaken the opponents for a dangerous, but doable, final battle.
Similar how you might take on a God in a DND game.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
"As your ship gets closer and closer to the circle of darkness the light from the violet star begins to bend. It forms an archway over you, embraces you, twists over and out and forms a spiral pattern behind you. You notice everything beginning to turn translucent, the star, the ship, yourselves. But more than that. It is as if you are being translated from three dimensional space into something more complex. You are gaining awareness of lengths and widths within your very being, you very soul, that you were previously unfamiliar with. You are now more complex, brand new beings. The dark circle ahead has become a sphere. The star is everywhere, breaking into you, touching you with Force, cutting you apart. Your ship touches the sphere, breaks its surface, falls in like a sinking boat, evaporates. The star dies a violent death, you hear it scream within your hearts, it will never again be a slave to the machine that bound it. Someone is walking on your grave. A light hits you and you go blind."

When their sights return the characters find themselves standing on the surface of a solid sea of moving water, streching to the horizon and beyond. The sky is a concave supernova. The space between the water and the fire is filled with glittering ash. Their ship/s and all of their belongings are scattered across the solid water landscape like toys someone got bored with.

A booming voice says: "Hello. Welcome. Who are you? Have you come to test the guardians?"

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
[Evil Gamemaster thought: if the characters immediately answer "No." to the question of the voice have the voice dump them back into their own universe, stranded near the location of the now dead star in vacuum an untold distance from anything they know, naked. After all, why would they come all this way to back out of a challenge? Nah, not really, but that was the first thing I thought of.] ;)

The voice is friendly and interested in the characters. It hasn't had visitors for a long time. It will gladly talk about anything, but doesn't actually know anything about the characters current situation. It doesn't even know what it itself is, or where this is. It has been here alone for millennia and most of the things it used to know are now gone.

When the characters say that they are here to test the guardians, the test begins. The voice will cheer and offer encouragement for the characters during it. The characters can also continue talking with it, but it still won't know any details, just that many of the things happening seem to have happened a great many times already.

The test: a group of opponents appears on the surface of the sea. They arrive by falling from the supernova sky as balls of fire, hit the seaground with a fiery splash, and assume glowing humanoid shapes. They are too far away to be identified and surround the characters from all around. As they slowly walk closer there is some time for the characters to gather their scattered equipment and get ready. (Test one is a pure combat round. You could have the humanoid shapes be opponents or allies ripped from the characters memories. Opponents they have already faced earlier or allies they've fought with. Memorable ones. Make it tough, and have there be as many of them as you think the characters can handle).

(If the characters try to retreat to their ship at this point they will discover that it appears to drained of power.)

When the final opponent falls, the sea shatters. The characters fall into a much too soft surface of mud. Sticking out from the mud are countless alien corpses, broken equipment of all sorts, shattered starships, etc. These are all of the previous challengers, littering the muddy ground since millennia past, as far as the eye can see.

Before they can act, the voice begins to shout: "You! You've broken the gateway! MY STAR IS GONE! What have you done! Why are you here?!"

The characters can attempt to explain that since they didn't know how the Force Dimension Generator worked, or even what it really was, breaking it was an accident. But the voice won't believe that they were just fiddling with the controls, and attacks.

The voice belongs to a multidimensional being and the characters can't see or avoid any of its initial attacks. What they need to realize is that they, like they world they are in, are now multidimensional themselves.

I don't know how to game mechanically represent this discovery, but investigating their surroundings should lead them to gain an ability to see into the multidimensionality they are in.

On one level is the supernova sky world, on another are the shadow lands where Force Ghosts dwell (and them being on a massive graveyard there should be a LOT of them here), a third layer is the location of space they came here from (and the realization that they are still physically there, as very faint Force Ghosts flying through their home dimension), and the fourth dimension here is the one where the being with the mighty voice is hitting them from (a bizarre dream-like universe of liquid space and glowing monstrous structures). When they finally see into the dimension the voice is coming from they can will themselves to step into it. This is the front porch of the Celestial universe, crafted by them.

Last edited:

Remove ads