Disney buying Lucasfilm for $4 billion! More Star Wars movies coming!

Quickleaf

Legend
I wonder if part of this deal included Lucas turning over the footage that he'd shot already for the "gritty" TV show about bounty hunters and such to Disney?

Holy Bovine

First Post
Yeah, I suspect that this will end up being a good thing, one way or the other. The best that can happen is some really cool movies. The worst is that we just pretend the series ended after [-]Revenge of the Sith.[/-] Return of the Jedi

fifm!

Disney has a track record of success with its properties. As long as Lucas' influence on the final product is kept to a bare minimum I am pretty confident in the future of Star Wars

Ebon Shar

Explorer
Am I in the minority in hoping the Zahn books are not the basis of the new trilogy? The anti-force lizards alone turned me off to them. I'd rather see a focus on the kids of the originals/Jedi Academy storyline. The age of the original actors is irrelevant then.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
I have to correct myself... Disney transitioned their licensed properties to Marvel but they were gradual (they killed some floundering titles and then allowed titles to run until the license ended).

-Sent via a cybernetic device.

Orius

Legend
As someone who loathes Disney, I have a very bad feeling about this!

Can't necessarily blame Lucas either. While he isn't a great writer, his ideas aren't all bad. The prequel trilogy had some good premises underneath it, but is was hampered in many places by weak dialogue and a few plot holes. The Star Wars fanbase very much overstates his weaknesses though. I can't blame him for being upset with the situation.

Good or bad whatever is done here is going to throw some huge snarls in the EU. Now, there is a lot in the EU that is certainly worse than the prequels, but at least the Star Wars EU didn't have the problems of the Trek EU -- that is nothing is canon and sometimes better than what is canon. That's why I stopped following the Trek EU. Star Wars at least was easier, the movies were primary canon while the novels themseves were still pretty official.

I dunno. I mean the OT actors are really too old to reprise their roles, and Lucas was talking about maybe making a new set of movies set at least 100 years after the OT. If they follow something like this it might not be too bad.

Dioltach

Legend
I heard on Dutch television that the new movies would focus on Luke, Leia and Han. Don't know whether that's based on an actual announcement somewhere or just a reporter not knowing enough about Star Wars to have considered any other possibilities.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases