Playing with a new style [Update - switching to it on 12 Nov]

jbear

First Post
Sorry to be a pain. I'm just here to complain about the complaining which seems to have lead to a big colour change.

Everything has gone white. I can't figure out how to get back to a dark background.

Is this just a test? Are we going back to a normal background soon? I hope so. Just my two cents; I don't mind any of the reformatting but I don't like the change to a white background at all.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Mine still has the black and gold color scheme and now has the hover-over dropdown menus above a banner ad. It all seems to work well and I like how the layout has reclaimed some real estate. :)

Nellisir

Hero
I've been moving it about - it was to the left yesterday, and lower down earlier, too. I find myself quite liking it being right-aligned, though, for some reason - my eyes seem to go to it more easily. I did try centering it, but I really felt it made the header look messy and crowded there.

My favourite but is the menu of links to Echohawk's collectors' guides in the REFERENCE section. I actually spend time just hovering and unhovering over that bit for fun! (I don't know what that says about me....)

It is currently 9:23pm EST, and at the tone your menu placement will be....

Actually, it's top-right at the moment, and I rather like it there. Seems like it was lower down earlier today, and that seemed rather arbitrary.

I noticed that link just a few minutes ago! Idly mousing over links, and suddenly this endless menu just drops down from nowhere! I had to go back and find it just to see what it was. Will check them out later.

So far, the changes have been either unnoticed, no big hassle, or good for me.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Sorry to be a pain. I'm just here to complain about the complaining which seems to have lead to a big colour change.

Everything has gone white. I can't figure out how to get back to a dark background.

Is this just a test? Are we going back to a normal background soon? I hope so. Just my two cents; I don't mind any of the reformatting but I don't like the change to a white background at all.

We haven't changed to a white background. Maybe you've switched styles?

jbear

First Post
We haven't changed to a white background. Maybe you've switched styles?
Really? No ... very very strange!

I logged onto the site and it was all suddenly just changed. White background. Never touched a thing. Very wierd. I'll have a poke around again and try and figure out what happened.

Edit:My profile page is also pretty messed up.

The quotes/mentions etc are no longer organised under tabs. You have to scroll down to the bottom of the page to read them.

Also when I hit the message tab that comes up on the top right hand side of the page with the new notifications (eg. you have 2 mentions) only the script shows making it very difficult to read above the adds.

Could this all be related?

It seems like I am seeing the printable version of the page. Except when I go up to thread options I still have the option to see the printable version of the page.

A bit disconcerting that I am the only one having this issue. I've never had anything like this happen before :(

Last edited:

The header size has been a major and repeated complaint for years. Folks with lower-res browsers saw nothing but header. That extra inch to you is a world of difference to many other users. This may be part of the eroticism I mentioned earlier.

Hey, I have a ginormous monitor and view the site at very high res. I struggle to understand when people complain about real estate on a screen which looks wide, empty, desolate, and spread-out to me. I have to remember that not everybody views the site on my computer.

Well, if we're on the subject of screen real estate, I have to say that the right-hand banner is a much bigger issue on my laptop than the header ever was. On a 13" screen it takes up an inordinate percentage of the page width. And if I turn on the side panel in Opera, it actually forces a scroll bar and has overlap issues. This was never an issue before the "Find ENWorld On" banner was in place.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Well, if we're on the subject of screen real estate, I have to say that the right-hand banner is a much bigger issue on my laptop than the header ever was. On a 13" screen it takes up an inordinate percentage of the page width. And if I turn on the side panel in Opera, it actually forces a scroll bar and has overlap issues. This was never an issue before the "Find ENWorld On" banner was in place.

A 13" screen reduced by an additional Opera sidepanel? For spaces that tiny, I'd recommend checking out Tapatalk; it's perfect for the job.

Thanee

First Post
What happened with the streamlined dice roller display?

It suddenly shows the full display for me, even though the setting is still set to streamlined. :confused:

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads