D&D 5E Warlord as a Fighter option; Assassin as a Rogue option

mlund

First Post
So no single part of the GNS trio is better than any other, but if a game has been heavy on the S with a side of G and then suddenly changes to be heavy on the G with a side of N, I'm not going to be happy because I was playing it for the S, while someone who didn't like the game before because they preferred a G+N mix might now pick it up.

See, I think that's not entirely accurate.

Fighting Men have been saddled with the Simulationist weighting since the war-game days before D&D. When Magicians got introduced the dedication to Simulationist elements went right out the window because, hey, MAGIC. With the narrative onus to transform the Fighting Man PC from a wargame pawn to an adventure protagonist things evolved. Abstraction migrated down from the unit-based level to the skirmish-based / individual combatant level gradually.

The biggest flaw of 3.X was that it was too focused on Simulation in some situations but nowhere near even-handed about it. Magic was hand-waved, while all things martial were compartmentalized into minutia that was often self-defeating. On the one hand, it appeared liberating because you didn't have to play "DM May I?" with a Fighter to do anything than make an abstract "attack" with your weapon. On the other hand it was actually more restrictive because now you were shackled to the "visible buttons" that were often-times mechanics with terrible game balance.

What made it even worse was that it tried to be pointlessly universal in its mechanics. Storm Giants used the same Sunder functionality as Fighters. Dragons used the same Magic as sorcerers. Rogues got hosed on Sneak Attack due the "no anatomy" rule by like half the monsters in the monster manual. And then there was the Magicians vs. Grogs breakdown that really poisoned the game. All of that could be justified by a single-minded devotion to Simulation, but it really took a toll on game play and drama.

Sure, mechanics need to pay attention to simulation (Is it intuitive? Is it consistent?) right alongside game concerns (Is it fun? Is it balanced?) and narrative concerns (Is it dramatic? Is it germane?). They just don't need to go down the rabbit-hole of 3.X where Martial folks are slaves to real-world physics while the Casters play Calvin-ball because *handwave* MAGIC. D&D has always kept up a pretense of meta-physics behind magic, but never imposed the kind of restrictions a strict simulation models puts on non-caster actions - just a few token gestures.

Frankly, I don't think the solution is to impose more rigidity on Magic. I don't want to go back to a huge variety of casting times, tracking all individual spell components, nor do I want to see new mechanics about appeasing cleric deities, checks to see how long it takes to read spell components, or modifiers based on ley lines and lunar cycles. I think we'd be fine with just a little more acceptance to the idea that D&D Martial characters are not "mundanes" stuck in a real-world simulation, but rather protagonists in a story that can take liberties by veering off into "action-movie physics" (or even flat-out Wuxia if the dial is set that high).

Real human beings never survive that "walk / jump away from fireball explosion" scenes you see in action movies, but sufficiently tough D&D characters can do it all the time. Sometimes you just let physics take a holiday and hang a lampshade on it, even if it doesn't pass muster on Mythbusters.

"Cool guys don't look at explosions."

- Marty Lund

Last edited:

Skanderbeg

First Post
EN World seems to be peopled by only the most verbose posters in the rpg community. I feel like I'm taking a 400 level course in school I wasn't aware of reading through some of these posts. :D

pemerton

Legend
I would have much less of a problem with those sorts of powers if CaGI involved smashing the ground with his weapon so hard that it cracked the ground and caused his enemies to come stumbling towards him
That sounds pretty cool for a maul-wielding fighter. Which makes me want to say - narrate it that way! (Which I know isn't really dealing with the process simulation issue.)

My assumption of process simulation is merely the (justified, I think) assumption that D&D's approach to mechanics has been one of process simulation going all the way back to 1e's "Gygaxian naturalism".

<snip>

Look at all the people on this and other forums who said around 4e's release that if 4e were released under a different name than D&D they'd like it just fine, or that they'd never liked D&D before 4e and are glad this new edition is more to their tastes. I can't speak for anyone else, but when I play D&D I like and expect to see more Gygaxian naturalism and process simulation
This is the real issue, I think.

Because I'm one of those who abandonded D&D as my primary game on simuationist grounds (I went to Rolemaster; plenty of others have gone to Runequest, GURPS, HERO, C&S, etc), I find the notion of D&D as a simulationist game ridiculous on its face. And Gygax expressly disavows simulationist treatments of hit points, saving throws and XP progression in his DMG.

That's not to say that I think there's nothing to the idea of "Gygaxian naturalism", but I personally find it a bit exaggerated, and I also think it has less to do with resolution mechanics and more to do with world and scenario design.

When I look at 4e, I see a game that takes features of D&D that were always present in hit points, in levelling and (in pre-3E versions) in saving throws, and extends them into the "active" side of action resolution to solve the martial/caster balance issue. (I think 3E's simulationis-ation of saving throws is a pretty big deal that's often overlooked - that's what hoses fighter saves in 3E, for example, compared to AD&D.) It's a game that knows what its mechanics are for, and what result they're aiming for - and it delivers that result!

I can see why the 4e design team saw this as a natural extension of what was already there in D&D, rather than a radical change of direction. Of course, one can always say that they ought to have had better market research, but considered just in the abstract who was to guess that so many people saw D&D's action economy, hit points, levelling etc as a process simulation enginge!

My assumption of process simulation is merely the (justified, I think) assumption that D&D's approach to mechanics has been one of process simulation going all the way back to 1e's "Gygaxian naturalism". I'm arguing for revising non-process-simulation mechanics in D&D because that's what most of the system is like and those non-process-simulation are departing from the standard and quite possibly diverging from what the existing audience of the game wants and upsetting a large portion of said audience, as in 4e's case.

First, let me say thanks for your very thoughtful and thorough posts. They're all clearly sincere, respectful, and well thought out and presented. Onto the disagreement :p

I know this isn't much of deja vu for you as, as you said, haven't involved yourself in many of these same conversations. However, the rounds have been made many times over on the history of D&D and its default playstyle inclinations (based on its mechanics). I'm not really sure how "process-sim" comes to mind for D&D mechanics historically given a considerable number of abstractions which are predicated upon gamist expedience first and foremost:

- The biggest offender, of course, is Hit Points. There are a myriad of vectors through which HPs do not map to any physics (nor can the PCs understand them). They are patently, and explicitly, a gamist contrivance predicated upon the need for a scaling, ablative mechanic that abstracts a PCs ability to endure "damage-in". Its both a pacing and plot-protection device.
- XP generally but specifically XP for gold. Its just a gamist pacing mechanism meant to incentivize a style of play...and it permeates the system.
- 1 minute combat rounds whereby dozens and dozens of flurries and parries will take place abstracted into one attack versus one passive defense.
- Successful saving throws versus breath weapon, or Improved Evasion against enormously voluminous blasts of energy...with no cover...and when immobilized...and the mechanics not dictating that your character "moves out of the blast/burst as an immediate reaction or free action."

I'm quite tired so my brain is in neutral so it will have to start with these biggies. These are just the tip of the iceberg. There are plenty more, especially issues with the implied setting (unbound arthropod size, no synergy between physical ability scores to properly represent musculoskeletal kinesiology, giant creatures with horrible trim characteristics and without the requisite thrust being able to fly). Anyhoo. I'm not sure how D&D has a process-sim history. In my estimation its always been a very heavily abstracted gamist system that has attempted to in-fill a few simulationist nods here and there (that haven't really been true or granular enough) for a token nod at fidelity to a real world physics model. 3.x picked up the ball and ran with it in a number of directions. Some successful. Some less so (odd demographics, Combat Feint, oddities in the unified mechanics of NPC/PC creation, etc).

I would have much less of a problem with those sorts of powers if CaGI involved smashing the ground with his weapon so hard that it cracked the ground and caused his enemies to come stumbling towards him, or if Bloody Path involved the rogue making an attack against every creature he passed. Much better those explanations than assuming that orcs charge you because charging the fighter is the "expected" course of action, or that your enemies are so incompetent that they will hit themselves (not even nearby allies!) or that later enemies would keep attacking you even after they saw other enemies get tricked into hitting themselves. That makes noncasters look amazingly skilled because their enemies are just tactically inept, not because the noncasters are actually amazingly skilled.

I guess here is a large area of divergence. I've already spoken to CaGI but I'll do Bloody Path as this is one of my Rogue friend's (huge swashbuckler fan) favorite abilities. I'll analyze it under the auspices of the various agendas:

Gamist: Check. Provides the player an archetype-specific deployable resource that has tactical depth and potency.

Simulation: Good enough. A swashbuckler runs a guantlet of defenders and makes them look foolish with his borderline supernatural dexterity, hand-eye/hand-foot coordination and flashing blade. Sort of like Barry Sanders running making otherwise world class athletes look like buffoons as he changes field 6 times in 6 seconds, stop, starts, dips, jukes, accelerates, breaks tackles...and they're literally chasing their own tails and running into each other.

High Concept Sim: Oh absolutely. Hits all the marks of emulating the swashbuckling, heroic fantasy of the Zorro, 3 Musketeers, Princess Bride, Count of Monte Cristo, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc genres.

Narrative: In spades. Provides my player the ability to enter Author Stance and say "This extremely awesome thing that matches my vision of my character archetype...this pulling off a crazy swashbuckler thing that expresses his supernatural quickness, guile, pinache and swordsmanship...that can only happen under limited circumstances...yeah, this happens RIGHT NOW...and man is it awesome <queue PCs narration by my PC> Further, its open-ended enough that it can be rendered in several different ways as our game progresses.

Tovec

Explorer
I don't know much about baseball, so I'll have a go at @mlund 's example with reference to cricket, which I know a little bit more about.
I just want to say first off that the cricket example is a good one but it FAR OFF from the baseball example in several ways. Most notably the benefit of hitting someone and the lack of a 'beaning' attempt, as well as the expected results from those two acts. But now onto to the example.

In the early 1930s the English cricket team used a technique against the Australians that they called "leg theory" and that the Australians called "bodyline". Basically, the technique involved two components: (1) a fast delivery that tended to bounce into the body or head of the bastsman, requiring either ducking to avoid injury or playing a defensive shot; (2) a cordon of fieldsmen to catch those defensively-played shots. (The rules of cricket have since been changed to prohibit bodyline - dangerous deliveries are forbidden, and the cordon of fielders is also forbidden.)

How would you model bodyline tactics in an RPG, at something like a D&D-ish combat level of abstraction? It's not a Bluff check - there is no deception involved - if you don't either duck or play defensively, you'll be sconed! Nor is it a Will save or Wisdom check for the defending player - it's not about resisting a lure, or spotting a deception. The physical threat posed by the delivery forces a certain play by the defender: so you'd test the bowler's skill (this would be the "attack roll") vs the defence of the batsman (this would be the "AC" - no active defence in a D&D-ish system). And if the batsman "hits", the defender has played the ball to the cordon - that's what a "hit" means in this case - and is caught out.

I would model an attack with a cricket ball against the defender (who is trying to avoid the attack?) as a ranged attack vs touch.
The will save, etc. are unneeded as the bowler is trying to hit the batsman. (I hope I have the terms right, btw.)
He is TRYING to hit the batsman. The batsman is trying to avoid getting hit. That seems like attack vs AC to me.
Now, if the goal is to do something else, to make the batsman back off or in some other way produce a movement effect, I would see different mechanics. Perhaps that would be a feint or some other type of effect vs save.

However, as you rightly say, there are some things that we should expect. Either the batsman is going to duck or play the defensive shot. In the system we were using the batsman wouldn't do either of these things. If he were then the ball would go flying in any number of directions; almost certainly poorly, or the batsman would end up prone on the ground. Either way he is not getting hit with that ball. Also, it is the batsman's choice of what he is doing, yes it is a very spur of the moment choice but he has one none the less. I don't see how the bowler/attacker is making the choice for him or FORCING a SPECIFIC movement. Forcing a reaction? Sure, that makes sense. But dictating a specific action seems to break my sense of fair play.

Everything about the lure/spot of the attack has to do with something else entirely and so I can answer what you are asking about it. Also, am I allowed to you YOU to reply in my next reply to Marty?

That's a simple example of "forced action" which is voluntary on the part of the defender, but in a D&D-style system is best modelled by reference to the skill of the attacker.
Actually, it is the kind of forced action which is by in large poorly modeled by DnD. But that isn't the point. The point is I don't see how the bowler is going to have enough proficieny or ability to consistantly FORCE the batsman to act in any specific way. I further don't see how they are FORCING them to do it on their terms. I can see forced action. I can't see dictated action, which is what we get in 4e forced movement.

Come and Get It has an extra dimension, namely, that no attack roll is required to force the movement - when the player chooses to use Come and Get It, the PC never gets it wrong - it's a bit like the skill mastery option for the pre-expertise-dice rogue in that respect. Some warlord powers require a hit to trigger the forced movement, others don't - it depends on the power in question - but that is orthogonal to the basic point, which is that they model the capacity of the attacker, through skill, to determine the actions taken by the defender.
Issues with CaGI have been well discussed here and elsewhere so I'm not going into that either.

It is skill to get the enemy to react. I'll agree. I disagree that the attacker should get to choose what that reaction is. Similarly it would be like the wizard choosing for the rogue to take a fortitude save vs his fireball, even though the rogue may instead prefer to use reflex so he can evade the damage more readily. It is an off example, I realize, but the parallel is there and I hope you can see it.

Tovec

Explorer
I warn you now, it is a rather massive reply.
[sblock]
That's simply untrue. There are plenty of times where a pitcher deliberately throws at a batter in major leagues. Sometimes you get fined. Sometimes you provoke a brawl. On rare occasion you send a guy to the hospital. Depending on the amount of aggression or malice involved in the act the technique varies.
I do want to say, as I have before, that if you are good enough to get the batter to do something every single time, that you are going to be more than fined. You get good at something with practice, otherwise it is a one off. I'm assuming if you have a power (be it any of the AEDU) that you have figured out a technique to repeatedly do something.

Otherwise it is a fluke, page 42 or something, and I have LESS problems with it but still some. That was the "accident" part I had included.

The trick with a bean-ball is it doesn't have to hit. It's purpose is to either hurt the batter or make him eat dirt avoiding the injury. Either outcome is acceptable. It's a malicious intimidation technique that may or may not cause physical injury and using it shows a cavalier disregard for the safety of the batter.
Am I right in assuming this is the cake or die situation you keep talking about? Assuming, of course, for the moment that the bean-ball won't kill the batter. They can either fall to the ground OR get hit, right?

It doesn't have the same effect as a warrior's standard action in a deadly fight because it's a not the same scope. The severity of the threat (injury vs. fatality) and the amount of time involved (.5 seconds vs. 6 seconds) are completely different scales.
Scope does matter, but as we are only talking about an instance of time (be that a single attack or the single throw of the ball) so it doesn't really factor into the example.

The direction, however, is almost entirely dictated by the nature of the pitch. Do it right and 99.9% of the time the batter falls backward and to the ground - because that is the instinctive and technically optimal trained response to the perceived threat. Throw behind the batter and he'll dive across the plate.
Okay, this I think is key. As we established earlier, the batter can either take a ball to the face or fall to the ground? A. Get hit (take damage [if it were an arrow = die]) or B. Fall to the ground? Where does C. (Prone AND damaged) come in? That is what I was arguing before, and you kept bringing up coup de grace.

That's because you've constructed a false dichotomy where none actually exists. The bean-ball is an attempt to hit, endanger, move, and intimidate the batter all at once. The mechanism is solely the attempt to hit the batter, but the other purposes of the attack remain. Hitting is variable. Intimidation is subjective. Endangerment and movement are both givens.
Right, but in your own explanation the batter can either stand there and get hit, or optimally fall prone and not. The hit is a variable but the results are fairly binary, which I have been saying. The attempted results are similarly binary. If the pitcher is wants to MOVE the batter then he may bluff or outright attack but just expect/hope/want the batter to move instead. However, the batter can defy/ignore/be unaware of the incoming attack and get hit. It isn't a false dichotomy in that case to give those as the two options (A and B of above). I don't see where he gets hit AND moves (C of above). Unless falling prone somehow hurts him?

Actually, since the batter is stuck in the batter's box until about .4 seconds before the ball makes impact it's really not going to model well as an attack against AC, or even touch AC. Basically, the batter makes a Reflex save.
Why would it be a reflex save this time, whereas all other ranged attack (including missiles and projectiles) are vs AC?

On a successful save he falls back about 6 inches and falls prone. On a failed save he falls back about 6 inches and takes damage based on how badly he failed his save. On a natural 1 he takes a critical hit to the skull and may suffer a concussion or be maimed.
The reason reflex saves cause half-damage on a fail is because they encompass the entire square. (Again based on 3.5 as my knowledge of 4e is virtually 0.)
Also, not really the point, on a reflex save you DON'T end up prone after the fireball hits you. Nor do you move either way. You take full damage or take half-damage. That is really not how attacks work. It also doesn't provide a method of forced movement either.

Although, since you mention it, if a fireball were to strike AND were to push a target back several feet (or knock prone) that would make sense. It would make sense not in a 'its magic' reasoning that you seem to despise so much. But it would make sense in a the force of the explosion causes pressure and you are knocked back/prone.

And since regular (non-magical) attacks aren't the same as magical attacks the reflex save and the new thought experiment (fireball DOES push back due to force) don't really apply.

Because there's no deception? It's a deliberate attack with two perfectly acceptable outcomes - both of which involve the batter moving. The danger zone created is entirely real. But this is more of that false dichotomy problem with your reasoning that's already been identified.
How is he moving either way? Unless that hit were to knock him out, how is he moving EITHER way? Even then he isn't moving in a predictable pattern, nor in a way governed by the pitcher. (Unless the pitcher wanted him prone, and then, if and only if he was knocked unconscious, would the batter fall prone after being hit.)

For the limited scope of baseball, there aren't many practical variations.
You said earlier: "Sometimes you get fined. Sometimes you provoke a brawl. On rare occasion you send a guy to the hospital. Depending on the amount of aggression or malice involved in the act the technique varies."
I realize you were talking about actions after the attempted beaning. But why wouldn't options during the beaning also include 1. Getting hit, 2. Avoiding hit and falling prone, 3. Jumping back one square, 4. Jumping back two squares, 5. Somehow managing to hit the ball before beaning (fouled or pop fly possible), 6. Running TO the pitcher (provoking brawl immediately instead of delayed response), 7. Running to the dugout or some part thereof? At least 3 of those responses are possible and even probable with the situation given. The practicality is governed by the decision made and the circumstances but hardly by the attempted beaning action itself, so I'm not going to really dispute practicality on this level.

Yes, yes. Anything forced or assumed is mind-control. Magicians good, Grogs bad, or it's not "realistic" enough. I think I've heard this before.
Not what I am saying actually. I'm saying mind control = magicians, no mind control = "grogs" as you put it.
For the record, I like grogs. I'm less of a fan of wizards but it has nothing to do with ability to mind control NOR ability to force actions. But if we are looking for reasons for things I think that we should look for non-magical solutions for non-magical situations.

Back to the pitcher-batter example once again, if the batter started hovering in the air or managed to knock the ball off course before it ever encounter him I'd be calling foul too. It has nothing to do with it being magic or not. But if he isn't able to fly or use teleknesis then what exactly is the explanation going on of how he performed that action? That is my only reason for bringing it up.

Coup de Grace is mentioned because it is a mechanic that describes what happens when someone is attacked without being able or willing to defend themselves effectively.
Right, which relates to my 'unaware target', but with an added 'helpless' quality. Neither the batter (expecting the ball, but not expecting a beaning) nor someone fighting an archer (expecting the arrow) qualify as EITHER helpless or unaware. So coup de grace doesn't apply to them. As I said earlier, coup de grace has a stated effect and stated requirements (at least in 3e) and thus when I want or need it I can look at the mechanic. There is no stated requirements for forced movement outside that the power and that the user of said power wants to move someone. HOW shouldn't be my problem, that's why I pay designers to work on a book.

D&D assumes combatants always choose to jump out over the way of the on-coming bus (and are thusly "forced" without any mind-control, just a valid behavioral assumption) if the alternative is being run over and killed instantly. Sometimes it's 6 seconds of swings from an axe instead of a bus.
Right, okay but the cake or die mechanic (as you keep describing it at least) is valid. It relies on someone getting hurt or avoiding that hurt.

I don't get the "hurt and move" mechanic. Even when coming to the bus example (which by the way would be a reflex save afiak) they aren't forced TO get hit. Nor are they forced BY THE BUS DRIVER to jump back. They want to and circumstances dictate that they do, but the bus driver isn't activating 'special bus-driver encounter power' to be able to push the back 10 feet and end up prone and hurt. They may use 'sound horn' to WARN the person they are going to get hurt but they can't dictate what the person does beyond that. That is my problem with forced action in general and forced movement specifically.

me said:
When you start talking about granular detail you lose me.
The whole idea that you have dozens of different ways to respond to a baseball, arrow, or axe swinging in towards your head is true, but largely irrelevant because that level of granularity in combat is not something any edition of D&D has adopted.
You still haven't explained the idea of granularity you keep using. For the record, when you try to explain something that someone doesn't get, try not to use the EXACT SAME TERM that they are not grasping.

At best we see something like Parry - an out of turn reaction that reduced damage from a "hit and move" attack and if it is successful enough (reduced the damage to 0) the attack becomes a miss and the movement does not happen. I suppose there's also the readied action option in general, something like, "If he comes within 10 feet of me I run away so he can't attack me."
Okay, so the example I was using was flawed because it lacked reactions? I'm guessing because you don't actually say WHAT is wrong with the breakdown of this argument, just that I am wrong.. somehow.
In the case of the batter, by the way, if he is playing in a regular game of baseball, he IS preparing an action. He is focused on the ball coming towards him and then should get an action to do something when it isn't necessarily his turn.

Beyond that I'm at a little of a lost. I suppose the best I could say is that the pitcher either hits with the ball (when attempting to) or not. Attack vs. AC allows that luxury. After which the batter can move and act normally.

The idea that there must be a mechanic that includes "or anyone" is just more of the "all Grogs use the same mechanics (physics) because they aren't magical" thinking that I can't abide in my D&D.
I actually kind of solved this "all grogs" thing you kept bringing up earlier when talking about another aspect. Refer to the fireball = explosion and therefore moved thing from earlier.

I don't have a problem with everyone using the same rules. I think you must but it isn't clear either way.

My theory: If you are going to move someone then there are a few ways of doing it. You can either physically move them. Or you can try and feint them out or bluff them into moving. Both of these give a direct explanation on how you are moved. What neither of them does is force you, once moved, to move back or attack me or do anything other than you would choose to. The result is you are moved, because I moved you.

Magic on the other hand gives different options. In magic you can convince someone to move themselves. That is the mind control. It doesn't have to be direct, you don't have to mentally take control of their body and move them, but perhaps you convince them (and I mean beyond a shadow of a doubt) that moving is in their best interest. In this method the result is they are moved. The difference is that the explanation relies on outright dictating what they'll do. I can only explain this through magic because there are no non-magical explanations for it.

Also, this is true of any system or rules, so I don't see how you can argue 3e or even non-4e in their application.

My problem as far as 4e goes is that most, if not all, of the forced movement I see from 4e maneuvers fall in this latter category (mind control). It isn't a bluff, its not physical. It is somehow dictating that they move 2 squares and perform X action. All without them deciding to.

See, with attacks, anyway, I'm perfectly fine with a "cake or death" situation where the game automatically assumes you'll pick "cake."
Actually, with attacks, you're fine with the cake with a side of eating it too; wherein you get to hurt them and decide what they do (such as move backwards 3 squares and start dancing or whatever). You want martial abilities with a side of magic. That is fine, why should non-casters do that? Be a caster-martial guy instead and solve all of my issues about using magical combat.

I actually agree with that. I'd rather see an imposed penalty efffect until the target actually submits to engaging.
It's funny but this is what we would both like to see. And (going WAAAAY back) I think it is kind of what KM was suggesting, and what I started this whole series about :p

Would it make a real difference to you if the effect said, "Hit: The victim must choose to either immediate move 5' away from you and suffer you attack damage or suffer a coup de grace. This movement does not provoke opportunity attacks." ?
I wouldn't like that any better, no.
Mostly because of the coup de grace thing I pointed out earlier.
Also because that isn't how hits work.
And, I have repeatedly said, I have no problem with the fighter physically forcing someone to move. I take exception with mind controlling them to move.
So I'd rather see:

"Hit: You move the target back 5 feet."
"Miss: You don't."
or
"Hit: You deal damage."

I could even go so far, if forced :p, to say..

"Hit: You move the target back 5 (never 10 or 20 or anything beyond your direct reach mind) and deal damage."

And never, would I like:

"Hit?: You force the target to close the distance between you and him (be that 5 feet or any range) and deal damage."
"Miss: You don't."[/sblock]

Eldritch_Lord

Adventurer
EN World seems to be peopled by only the most verbose posters in the rpg community. I feel like I'm taking a 400 level course in school I wasn't aware of reading through some of these posts. :D

I don't know about the other posters here, but this is how I post on other forums and how I talk in real life, with plenty of digressions, examples, parentheticals, asides, qualifications, and so forth. Pedantry, thy name is Eldritch_Lord. Just be glad that "talking" with us online means you can close the tab if the verbosity gets to you. ;)

Spoilering long replies once again:

mlund[sblock]
See, I think that's not entirely accurate.

Fighting Men have been saddled with the Simulationist weighting since the war-game days before D&D. When Magicians got introduced the dedication to Simulationist elements went right out the window because, hey, MAGIC. With the narrative onus to transform the Fighting Man PC from a wargame pawn to an adventure protagonist things evolved. Abstraction migrated down from the unit-based level to the skirmish-based / individual combatant level gradually.

The biggest flaw of 3.X was that it was too focused on Simulation in some situations but nowhere near even-handed about it. Magic was hand-waved, while all things martial were compartmentalized into minutia that was often self-defeating. On the one hand, it appeared liberating because you didn't have to play "DM May I?" with a Fighter to do anything than make an abstract "attack" with your weapon. On the other hand it was actually more restrictive because now you were shackled to the "visible buttons" that were often-times mechanics with terrible game balance.

Well, keep in mind that simulationism doesn't mean "simulates the real world and real physics," it just means "simulates an internally-consistent world." Creating a fireball involves throwing bat poop, spouting gibberish, and waving your hands around, which is nothing like the real world at all. The simulationist part is that if spells require bat poop, hand waving, and gibberish to make a fireball, then stealing the bat poop, tying their hands, or gagging them prevents the fireball. Compare to 4e, where a wizard might describe his casting as involving huge, dramatic gestures and booming incantations, but he can accomplish the same thing just fine if tied up and gagged. The game world's ground rules are nonsensical from a real-world perspective, but once the ground rules are known, things proceed logically from there. Different levels of abstraction doesn't mean things aren't simulationist; we have no idea what hand gestures you need for a fireball or what words you need to say, but we know that you need to say them.

The fact that fighters don't get Nice Things is a separate problem unrelated to the level of simulationism; rather, it's related to the fact that fighters started off as the class you played if you didn't roll high enough stats to be a "real" class or if you were new to the game, and that before that they were the sidekicks and meat shields in Chainmail for the "real" PCs. That fighters need to gain the power level and options of a "real" class doesn't mean you need to get metagame-y with the fighter to do so.

What made it even worse was that it tried to be pointlessly universal in its mechanics. Storm Giants used the same Sunder functionality as Fighters. Dragons used the same Magic as sorcerers. Rogues got hosed on Sneak Attack due the "no anatomy" rule by like half the monsters in the monster manual. And then there was the Magicians vs. Grogs breakdown that really poisoned the game. All of that could be justified by a single-minded devotion to Simulation, but it really took a toll on game play and drama.

Sure, mechanics need to pay attention to simulation (Is it intuitive? Is it consistent?) right alongside game concerns (Is it fun? Is it balanced?) and narrative concerns (Is it dramatic? Is it germane?). They just don't need to go down the rabbit-hole of 3.X where Martial folks are slaves to real-world physics while the Casters play Calvin-ball because *handwave* MAGIC. D&D has always kept up a pretense of meta-physics behind magic, but never imposed the kind of restrictions a strict simulation models puts on non-caster actions - just a few token gestures.

I disagree that universality in mechanics is a bad thing: if you're trying to break something by hitting it with pointy bits of metal, it should probably work the same whether you're a 12-foot-tall giant doing it or a human-sized fighter doing it. If you want to have dragons, wizards, and magic items to all let you shoot fireballs, better to use the same mechanics for all of them then to come up with dozens of pointless variations, like how 4e cyclops all have an Evil Eye power yet none of them do the same thing. Making mechanics less universal just makes getting a handle on the rules more difficult and raises the bar to entry, since new players can't just learn "here's what a fireball is" but have to constantly look up what this version does.

I'm completely on board with you about fighters not needing to follow the laws of physics, I just don't think they need to get metagame to do it. The D&D world has different laws of physics than the real one; we can make a fighter who follows those laws of physics just fine. Take the rogue, for instance; he gets Evasion, which lets him dodge 40-foot-diameter fireballs in a 20-foot-wide room. It's a fairly simulationist ability: your ability to dodge the fireball is dependent on your dodging skill (i.e. it works with your Ref save rather than being something else), you can't dodge if you're restrained, etc. It just happens to be physically impossible, which is not the same as non-simulationist.

I think we'd be fine with just a little more acceptance to the idea that D&D Martial characters are not "mundanes" stuck in a real-world simulation, but rather protagonists in a story that can take liberties by veering off into "action-movie physics" (or even flat-out Wuxia if the dial is set that high).

Real human beings never survive that "walk / jump away from fireball explosion" scenes you see in action movies, but sufficiently tough D&D characters can do it all the time. Sometimes you just let physics take a holiday and hang a lampshade on it, even if it doesn't pass muster on Mythbusters.

"Cool guys don't look at explosions."

- Marty Lund

Yes! Exactly! That's what I'm going for, but instead of saying "High-level fighters can't survive explosions like in action movies, but let's let him get away with it because plot," I'm saying make it so high-level fighters can survive explosions like in action movies, and give them all that goes with that. John McClane survives crashing through a window because he's a protagonist; Beowulf survives crashing through a window because he's superhuman. John McClane can't survive a shotgun blast to the chest, because movie audiences know that that's lethal while they're willing to ignore the shards-of-broken-glass thing; Beowulf survives a shotgun blast to the chest because, yep, still superhuman.

Basically, I'd rather believe that someone who makes a living by stabbing twenty-ton flying death machines in the face survives that because he's actually that tough, skilled, and talented, not due to an increasingly-long string of plot contrivances. Whenever I see mechanics that say "the wizard can do his job because his magic works like this, the fighter can do his job because the plot is throwing him a bone," that takes me out of it.[/sblock]
pemerton[sblock]
That sounds pretty cool for a maul-wielding fighter. Which makes me want to say - narrate it that way! (Which I know isn't really dealing with the process simulation issue.)

This is the real issue, I think.

Because I'm one of those who abandonded D&D as my primary game on simuationist grounds (I went to Rolemaster; plenty of others have gone to Runequest, GURPS, HERO, C&S, etc), I find the notion of D&D as a simulationist game ridiculous on its face. And Gygax expressly disavows simulationist treatments of hit points, saving throws and XP progression in his DMG.

He says that HP aren't entirely physical:

1e DMG said:
It is quite unreasonable to assume that as a character gains levels of ability in his or her class that a corresponding gain in actual ability to sustain physical damage takes place. It is preposterous to state such an assumption, for if we are to assume that a man is killed by a sword thrust which does 4 hit points of damage, we must similarly assume that a hero could, on the average, withstand five such thrusts before being slain! Why then the increase in hit points? Because these reflect both the actual physical ability of the character to withstand damage - as indicated by constitution bonuses- and a commensurate increase in such areas as skill in combat and similar life-or-death situations, the "sixth sense" which warns the individual of some otherwise unforeseen events, sheer luck, and the fantastic provisions of magical protections and/or divine protection. Therefore, constitution affects both actual ability to withstand physical punishment hit points (physique) and the immeasurable areas which involve the sixth sense and luck (fitness).

Likewise in the 3e DMG, where hit points are both your physical integrity and your ability to turn bad wounds into less bad wounds (luck, skill, etc.). A simulationist view of hit points doesn't require that you treat every hit point lost as a gallon of blood lost or anything like that, it just asks that you treat a hit as actually being a hit (even if a hit for 40 damage is just 1 point of actual physical damage and 39 points of skill turning a decapitation into a glancing blow), because treating a hit as "a miss that makes you more tired" or whatever most of the time but as physical contact whenever there's poison or some other on-hit effect on your sword leads to silliness.

That's not to say that I think there's nothing to the idea of "Gygaxian naturalism", but I personally find it a bit exaggerated, and I also think it has less to do with resolution mechanics and more to do with world and scenario design.

When I look at 4e, I see a game that takes features of D&D that were always present in hit points, in levelling and (in pre-3E versions) in saving throws, and extends them into the "active" side of action resolution to solve the martial/caster balance issue. (I think 3E's simulationis-ation of saving throws is a pretty big deal that's often overlooked - that's what hoses fighter saves in 3E, for example, compared to AD&D.) It's a game that knows what its mechanics are for, and what result they're aiming for - and it delivers that result!

The problem with fighter saves has nothing to do with simulation vs. non-simulation, it has to do with simulation of different things. In AD&D, "magic" is a static thing (every fireball is as resistable as any other), while in 3e "magic" is a personal thing (a high-Int wizard's fireball is harder to resist than a low-Int wizard's). The math for good saves is actually fairly similar between editions (I did the math on that at one point and it turned out that translating save-vs.-spells to 3e DCs assuming minimum Int resulted in a fighter having +9 to +12 base saves), the difference is that in 3e you add your casting stat to your DCs and you can raise your casting stat a lot higher than in AD&D. Changing the 3e DC formula to just 10 + spell level doesn't make it any less simulationist, nor would changing it to something like 10 + 1/2 level + Cha like the SLA formula.[/sblock]
Manbearcat[sblock]
First, let me say thanks for your very thoughtful and thorough posts. They're all clearly sincere, respectful, and well thought out and presented. Onto the disagreement :p

Thank you as well. It's rare to see threads get to page-and-a-half-long posts without lots of arguments and snark getting thrown around.

- The biggest offender, of course, is Hit Points. There are a myriad of vectors through which HPs do not map to any physics (nor can the PCs understand them). They are patently, and explicitly, a gamist contrivance predicated upon the need for a scaling, ablative mechanic that abstracts a PCs ability to endure "damage-in". Its both a pacing and plot-protection device.

As mentioned above, HP are simulationist as long as you always include some aspect of the physical, they just aren't concrete. Just like BAB and THAC0 are quite abstract, condensing dozens of factors down to one number, but they're still simulationist (the better you are at fighting, the more often you hit).

- XP generally but specifically XP for gold. Its just a gamist pacing mechanism meant to incentivize a style of play...and it permeates the system.

Granted and agreed. I already said D&D was S with a side of G, and I dislike 3e's use of a metagame mechanic as "life force" for item creation and spellcasting or whatever; if you have to use a metagame resource like XP, keep it purely metamage, don't give it an in-game manifestation. I much prefer the straightforward loss of life force = Con loss mechanic from AD&D item creation.

- 1 minute combat rounds whereby dozens and dozens of flurries and parries will take place abstracted into one attack versus one passive defense.

Again, simulationist ≠ concrete. I prefer shorter rounds and more granular mechanics myself, and am glad 3e went that route, but that doesn't make highly abstract combat gamist or narrativist.

I'm quite tired so my brain is in neutral so it will have to start with these biggies. These are just the tip of the iceberg. There are plenty more, especially issues with the implied setting (unbound arthropod size, no synergy between physical ability scores to properly represent musculoskeletal kinesiology, giant creatures with horrible trim characteristics and without the requisite thrust being able to fly). Anyhoo. I'm not sure how D&D has a process-sim history. In my estimation its always been a very heavily abstracted gamist system that has attempted to in-fill a few simulationist nods here and there (that haven't really been true or granular enough) for a token nod at fidelity to a real world physics model. 3.x picked up the ball and ran with it in a number of directions. Some successful. Some less so (odd demographics, Combat Feint, oddities in the unified mechanics of NPC/PC creation, etc).

As I mentioned above, simulationism doesn't mean it follows real-world physics, it means it follows internally-consistent physics. I think the problem here is that you're associating abstraction with gamism when you can have either simulationist or gamist concreteness and either simulationist or gamist abstraction.

A Huge titan being able to move around normally as if it were human-scale rather than following the square-cube law isn't gamist, it's assuming different physics that allow giants to walk around, dragons to fly, etc., just as including magic in a game doesn't make it gamist. Titans following the same 5-foot step rule that Medium creatures do is gamist (to prevent creatures from moving more than 5 feet without provoking AoOs) because the simulationist approach would be to assume that, given that the laws of physics allow the titan to walk around just as if it were a big human, it should be able to move proportionally, so since its base speed is twice that of a human it should be able to take a 10-foot step instead of a 5-foot step.

I guess here is a large area of divergence. I've already spoken to CaGI but I'll do Bloody Path as this is one of my Rogue friend's (huge swashbuckler fan) favorite abilities. I'll analyze it under the auspices of the various agendas:

[...]

Simulation: Good enough. A swashbuckler runs a guantlet of defenders and makes them look foolish with his borderline supernatural dexterity, hand-eye/hand-foot coordination and flashing blade. Sort of like Barry Sanders running making otherwise world class athletes look like buffoons as he changes field 6 times in 6 seconds, stop, starts, dips, jukes, accelerates, breaks tackles...and they're literally chasing their own tails and running into each other.

I disagree with the assessment of it being good enough, and it's that kind of "eh, close enough" reaction that often marks more gamist mechanics. Consider: there are no other mechanics in the game that make you attack yourself beyond those few tricky rogue maneuvers, and you are forced to take the attacks whether you want to or not. To address the first point, if fumbles or some other means of attacking yourself (such as AD&D/3e confusion) were part of the game, that would make that slightly more consistent: you run past some enemies in a tricky manner, and because you're tricky, something that can already happen (fumbles) happens more often. Sure, I can buy that.

Also, there's no general rule for making people fumble (like all of the 3e effects that say "this works as confusion blah blah blah"), so the rogue can't attempt to do the same outside this particular power. The rogue can thus make this singular effect occur only in very specific circumstances and no other, and no other classes can accomplish that, which stretches the bounds of believability (for me, at least). More believable but more complex to resolve would be a Bluff check, an attack roll to parry, or something like that to justify the rogue actively tricking them, as opposed to them just whiffing and hitting themselves in the face, though of course that brings up the multiple-roll problem and resolution-speed problem. More believable and just as simple to resolve would be the rogue attacking each time, instead of the enemies attacking themselves; same number of rolls, same time to resolve, but more believable (the rogue is stabbing everyone as he goes by, and doing that requires some effort and setup, so he can't just do it all the time).

To address the second point, the automatic attack-forcing is problematic from a tactical standpoint. If you're fighting a guy in 3e who has Robilar's Gambit and Combat Reflexes (i.e. every time you take an AoO on him he gets to hit you), after the first time you see that he can counterattack AoOs, you stop taking AoOs on him. An intelligent enemy who sees his buddy try attacking the rogue during Bloody Path and hit himself instead should know not to take that attack. An intelligent enemy who sees the rogue use Fool's Opportunity before Bloody Path or vice versa should be expecting that sort of thing and not take the opportunity the second time.

And even if you want to talk about the confusion of combat and all that, would you tell a player in 3e going up against that Robilar's Gambit guy, "Oh, I know Steve just tried to take an AoO and got hit and you don't want to get hit, but you didn't actually see that and your character would take the AoO, so you have to take it"? Of course not (or at least I hope not). Part of the game's abstraction is the assumption that you're watching in all directions, hence the lack of facing, so being able to react to someone's tricky tactic is something to be expected. Only when you have a mechanic to determine whether a character would fall for it ("You rolled a 5 for Sense Motive? Yes, you're positive the creepy-looking noble is telling the truth") can we determine independently of the player's choices whether a PC falls for something and do players expect to have that choice taken away from them, and though tricking monsters obviously don't have the problem of removing player choice, players shouldn't be able to say "All the monsters fall for my tricks because my class makes me tricky" any more than they should be able to say "The NPC can't roll Sense Motive because my lie was believable."

High Concept Sim: Oh absolutely. Hits all the marks of emulating the swashbuckling, heroic fantasy of the Zorro, 3 Musketeers, Princess Bride, Count of Monte Cristo, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc genres.

If Bloody Path involved making enemies attack each other, sure; that's both a staple of the genre and a mechanic that has shown up in every pre-4e edition so far, to my knowledge. But where in Pirates or Princess Bride did you see Jack Sparrow make Barbossa stab himself in the leg or Wesley make Inigo trip and fall on his own sword? And if they were to accompllsh that, would you expect Commodore Norrington or Count Rugen, having seen the same trick just moments ago, to fall for it as well?

The reason skill checks for social skills to exist is precisely to define when characters are so supernaturally skilled that they can fool someone who is as smart as Vizzini thinks he is, turn someone into an instant ally with a few words, make someone wet their pants and run away with an angry glare, and so forth. We obviously don't know what supernatural skill at conning people looks like, or whether someone with supernatural intelligence can figure that out, so we turn to the dice to adjudicate that. For a power to not only bypass that for the first target (which might be excusable if they're just that sneaky) but also not provide an Int check for later targets to see through it, add a penalty on later attacks to represent people wising up, etc. goes against expectations, and that's why I advocate for either including such mechanical tweaks to grease the wheels of our suspension of disbelief or avoiding powers that cause that dissonance in the first place.[/sblock]

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
Well, keep in mind that simulationism doesn't mean "simulates the real world and real physics," it just means "simulates an internally-consistent world."

<snip>

Take the rogue, for instance; he gets Evasion, which lets him dodge 40-foot-diameter fireballs in a 20-foot-wide room. It's a fairly simulationist ability: your ability to dodge the fireball is dependent on your dodging skill (i.e. it works with your Ref save rather than being something else), you can't dodge if you're restrained, etc. It just happens to be physically impossible, which is not the same as non-simulationist.

<snip>

I'd rather believe that someone who makes a living by stabbing twenty-ton flying death machines in the face survives that because he's actually that tough, skilled, and talented, not due to an increasingly-long string of plot contrivances.

<snip>

A simulationist view of hit points doesn't require that you treat every hit point lost as a gallon of blood lost or anything like that, it just asks that you treat a hit as actually being a hit

<snip>

As mentioned above, HP are simulationist as long as you always include some aspect of the physical, they just aren't concrete. Just like BAB and THAC0 are quite abstract, condensing dozens of factors down to one number, but they're still simulationist (the better you are at fighting, the more often you hit).
I don't think that Evasion is simuationist, actually. It has some superifical nods to simulation (the not-helpless requirement, for example) but in fact it doesn't simulate a causal process at all. And we can tell this, because the rogue can "evade" an explosion that fills the entire area.

Wearing my simulationist hat, I ask - if a rogue can "evade" an explostion that fills the entire area, why can't s/he "evade" weapons (at least flaming ones), or go insubstantial in other ways, or . . .

Further complications are raised by the fact that a rogue standing on a 6" square pole 100' above the floor of a room can "evade" an explosion without any chance of being knocked off that pole. Why is an Acrobatics check not required? More generally, why does a "Reflex" save never result in the target actually changing position?

As I said, Evasion does not present a coherent internal logic for the gameworld, at least once the corner cases come up. There are two possible responses to that. One would be to adjudicate the corner cases differenty: require an Acrobatics check to use Evasion while balancing high on a thin pole; impose penalties to Reflex saves (either directly, or via a DEX-penalty) when conditions make it hard to move; etc. This is the Rolemaster/Runequest approach.

The other possible response is to treat Evasion as an ability with a metagame component and a fortune-in-the-middle resolution mode, and narrate in whatever makes sense to explain the use of Evasion on any given occasion. This makes Evasion much closer, in its resolution, to Come and Get It; and like Come and Get It, the required narration will only require more than a moment's thought in the very occasional corner case.

I guess there is a third possible response, which treats Evasion as stating an ingame causal principle of the gameworld, and then constructs the gameworld physics around that - some black box process permits rogues to "evade" explosion even when they have nowhere to move and the explosion fills the entire area - but that sort of play could treat Come and Get It similarly - some black box process permits the fighter to "pull" all his/her enemies closer once per 5 minutes.

As to hit points, they are not merely abstract. They include as a component luck and divine favour. That is metagame. (Unless the PCs in your game all carry their "luck and divine favour" meter around with them, to keep track of how much of those valuable resources they still haev left in the tank!)

To make the point more concrete: a high level fighter can survive a jump over a 100' cliff because of luck and divine favour. The player knows the PC can take the fall. Does the PC know this? If so, how? How can s/he know s/he is blessed with the requisite amount of luck?

Again, an alternative possibility is to ignore what Gygax wrote in his AD&D (and I'm not sure how much, if any, of that survived into 2nd ed AD&D and 3E - but it is clearly alive and well in 4e) and take the view that the reason the fighter can survive the fall is because s/he has so much meat! Again, that kind of literalist interpretation can be applied to Come and Get It to - the fighter PC has some sort of (unknown in the real world) quality which permits him/her to draw in foes. I don't know what that ability would be; but then I don't know what sort of non-magical ability would permit a fighter to survive a 100' fall either!

I'm completely on board with you about fighters not needing to follow the laws of physics, I just don't think they need to get metagame to do it.
I can see two alternatives to doing it via metagame. One is to make fighters magical - which, historically, D&D has shied away from. The second is to posit non-magical abilities like "toughness" or "evasiveness" that are unalysed black boxes playing the same roll as the metagame abilities would, but with a footnote saying "by the way, this isn't metagame". But then why do we need the footnote? If Evasion can be a black box, and hit points can be a black box, why can't Come and Get It be a black box?

Eldritch_Lord

Adventurer
I don't think that Evasion is simuationist, actually. It has some superifical nods to simulation (the not-helpless requirement, for example) but in fact it doesn't simulate a causal process at all. And we can tell this, because the rogue can "evade" an explosion that fills the entire area.

Wearing my simulationist hat, I ask - if a rogue can "evade" an explostion that fills the entire area, why can't s/he "evade" weapons (at least flaming ones), or go insubstantial in other ways, or . . .

Nitpick: AoEs don't necessarily fill the whole area; a lightning bolt isn't necessarily a solid 5-by-5-by-120 block of electricity and so forth. But there are definitely plenty of effects where it doesn't make much sense.

Further complications are raised by the fact that a rogue standing on a 6" square pole 100' above the floor of a room can "evade" an explosion without any chance of being knocked off that pole. Why is an Acrobatics check not required?

Actually, it does require a check, sort of. To move onto a narrow surface 2-6 inches wide requires a DC 15 Balance check, plus surface and angle modifiers. It then says:

SRD said:
Being Attacked while Balancing
You are considered flat-footed while balancing, since you can’t move to avoid a blow, and thus you lose your Dexterity bonus to AC (if any). If you have 5 or more ranks in Balance, you aren’t considered flat-footed while balancing. If you take damage while balancing, you must make another Balance check against the same DC to remain standing.

So you need to make a Balance check to remain standing if you fail the Ref save, but not if you succeed. Personally, I'd give a -2 or -4 penalty to making Ref saves in that position, as that's a textbook example of unfavorable circumstances, but that's up to the DM.

More generally, why does a "Reflex" save never result in the target actually changing position?
[...]
impose penalties to Reflex saves (either directly, or via a DEX-penalty) when conditions make it hard to move; etc.

Probably because 3e snaps everything to a 5-foot grid, and since not all Ref-save effects would involve moving that far they didn't bother coming up with rules for it; you can avoid fireball spheres and dragon-breath cones by ducking low in your space if you're near the edges, for instance, and improved cover grants +4 Ref and Improved Evasion, so perhaps they felt that more rules for moving out of the way were unnecessary (though I would disagree with that conclusion).

That's a part of the rules that I don't particularly like, along with the fact that falling damage, Dungeoncrasher, telekinesis, Explosive Spell, etc. all use different rules for taking damage from being knocked into things, and my group houseruled a system to unify that to make that more consistent and intuitive, as well as better rules for knockback (because all big creatures should be able to send you flying on a hit, dammit) and some tweaks to cover.

But that's not a problem with Evasion per se, it's an issue with Reflex saves where gamism rears its ugly head--my guess is that there are very few effects that allow you to move out of turn because combat is focused on full attacks so moving people out of position can be too good. The opposite reason is what makes big creatures knock you around, I think: if giants smacked you back several feet with each attack as they realistically should, they coudln't get off their full attacks, so instead of WotC coming up with reasonable attack-and-move rules (no, the Spring Attack chain is not reasonable) they ignored the issue.

As to hit points, they are not merely abstract. They include as a component luck and divine favour. That is metagame. (Unless the PCs in your game all carry their "luck and divine favour" meter around with them, to keep track of how much of those valuable resources they still haev left in the tank!)

To make the point more concrete: a high level fighter can survive a jump over a 100' cliff because of luck and divine favour. The player knows the PC can take the fall. Does the PC know this? If so, how? How can s/he know s/he is blessed with the requisite amount of luck?

Luck is part of it, certainly, and divine favor, but people often don't quote the whole sentence, "the 'sixth sense' which warns the individual of some otherwise unforeseen events, sheer luck, and the fantastic provisions of magical protections and/or divine protection," which to me says that a fighter's increasing HP are partly combat skill, a rogue's are partly luck, a magic-user's are partly magical protection, and a cleric's are partly divine protection, not that hit points in general are partly luck and divine protection.

Again, I see HP as being mostly physical with some components of luck and skill, but any combination is basically okay as long as a hit is a physical hit (to gel with the definition of AC, so that poisoned blades aren't mysteriously more accurate, etc.) rather than something like "He misses you and you feel more tired from dodging [OOC: a hit], and he misses you again but you feel the same [OOC: a miss]."

but then I don't know what sort of non-magical ability would permit a fighter to survive a 100' fall either!

100 feet, you say? I have no earthly idea. ;)

I can see two alternatives to doing it via metagame. One is to make fighters magical - which, historically, D&D has shied away from. The second is to posit non-magical abilities like "toughness" or "evasiveness" that are unalysed black boxes playing the same roll as the metagame abilities would, but with a footnote saying "by the way, this isn't metagame". But then why do we need the footnote? If Evasion can be a black box, and hit points can be a black box, why can't Come and Get It be a black box?

Regarding fighters being magical: Many mythical heroes do impossible things without being labeled magical; Beowulf holds his breath for days while fighting underwater, but people accept him being Just That Good, they don't accuse him of casting a water breathing spell. Cu Chulainn has "warp spasms" that partly shapechange him, but that's basically flavor text on your average barbarian rage.

Regarding one black box being as good as any other, let me put it this way: Captain America is the peak of human strength, fitness, agility, intelligence, etc. He can survive being knocked off his feet into a wall because he's very tough, and people believe it. He can knock people out with one punch because he's very strong, and people believe it. Both of those are "something a normal human can do [take a hit, knock someone out, etc.], but more so." Making people come after you for no reason isn't "average human, but more so," the way tricking people is "bluffing, but more so" or the like.

That's why I'm pushing for small concessions to the flavor and immersion, not tossing them out entirely. It's an uncanny valley, sort of: it's almost action movie physics, but not quite, so it looks reasonable upon first glance but issues crop up in play if you run into corner cases and try to extrapolate; it's not "realistic" or consistent enough to be fully simulationist, it's not handwave-y enough to be narrativist like a "spend a drama point, everyone gangs up on you" mechanic would be, it's somewhere in the middle. It just takes a bit of a push to get them over that hill and make them one or the other, but because they're not purely narrative or very simulationist they stick out.

Remove ads