Collaboration for a New Game

eduar

First Post
Hey eduar amigo! :)

Hey there U_K

For me, the main problem with 3.5 was the EVER-SPIRALLING (out of control) complexity. It was just CRUSHING for GMs (and us poor game designers). It just simply had too many parts.

So my main goal was to cut that down where possible. Limit the number of magic items/artifacts. Dovetail skills with things like Omnicompetence and Maven. Reduce the number of feats by allowing a trade-up to divine abilities (and likewise cosmic and so on). At a certain level of divinity everyone gets Wish, cutting down on Spell-like abilities.

Now I understand why you like 4e so much, and I totally agree with those points. Actually following that philosophy, feats should just evolve (damn tree feats, two weapon I looking at you) and keep a few number, like powers. I still have the feeling that is necessary to balance simplicity with customization, to be possible create anything. You really give me food for thought.

eduar said:
Hey there U_K

Hiya mate! :)

Now I understand why you like 4e so much, and I totally agree with those points. Actually following that philosophy, feats should just evolve (damn tree feats, two weapon I looking at you) and keep a few number, like powers. I still have the feeling that is necessary to balance simplicity with customization, to be possible create anything. You really give me food for thought.

Happy to be of help. High level 3.5E is okay for experienced players who only need to look after one character. But for a DM/Designer its really a massive chore.

Simplicity is the key. I think the way to handle customization is to allow for trade offs/trade-ups. So you keep an overall number of items/abilities/powers etc. to a manageable level. So instead of adding powers you swop old powers for new ones.

eduar

First Post
Hi there U_K

I can't avoid to think I need more experience to this project and for now I'm not prepared, so for now I will try to update Epic and Divine rules from SRD to Pathfinder, actually I have already starter and I think I have done some great progress, I think this is a great opportunity to correct some of the problems in them, I was looking at your 3.5 website and one of my favorites sections was the review of these. May I use part of the material presented in there?
This is something if well done I will like to publish, like what Dreamscarred Press did with Psionics Unleashed, yes I know Mythic Advetures are coming out but I don't think they are mutually exclusive.

Last edited:

eduar said:
Hi there U_K

Hey eduar matey! :)

I can't avoid to think I need more experience to this project and for now I'm not prepared,

Its a mammoth undertaking you initially proposed. I don't blame you for wanting to take a step back from such a daunting task.

so for now I will try to update Epic and Divine rules from SRD to Pathfinder, actually I have already starter and I think I have done some great progress, I think this is a great opportunity to correct some of the problems in them, I was looking at your 3.5 website and one of my favorites sections was the review of these. May I use part of the material presented in there?

Not sure what you mean (my reviews of the ELH and D&Dg?). Can you post the links and explain a bit more amigo?

This is something if well done I will like to publish, like what Dreamscarred Press did with Psionics Unleashed, yes I know Mythic Advetures are coming out but I don't think they are mutually exclusive.

I wish you the best of luck. :)

eduar

First Post
Hi U_K

Yes indeed it is a great task develop a RPG.

Here this are the links: Epic feats, Salient divine abilities and New spell system

And well I like a lot some of the changes suggested that can be a great improve. Actually I was revising the site and there is some great stuff there.

Here are some of the changes I have suggested (remember this is intended fro Pathfinder):
[h=3]EPIC DRUID[/h]Hit Die: d8
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier
Spells: The druid’s caster level is equal to his or her class level. The druid’s number of spells per day increases for every oddnumbered level, the druid gains access to a new level of spell one above his previous maximum level, gaining one spell slot in that new level. Every even-numbered level, the druid gains additional spell slots equal to the highest level spell she can currently cast. She can split these new slots any way she wants among the slots she currently has access to.
Bonus Feats: The epic druid gains a bonus feat (selected from the list of epic druid bonus feats) every two levels after 20th.
Epic Druid Bonus Feat List: Automatic Quicken Spell, Automatic Silent Spell, Automatic Still Spell, Energy Resistance, Enhance Spell, Epic Spell Focus, Epic Spell Penetration, Epic Spellcasting, Fast Healing, Ignore Material Components, Improved Combat Casting, Improved Heighten Spell, Improved Metamagic, Improved Spell Capacity, Intensify Spell, Magical Beast Companion, Multi-spell, Perfect Health, Permanent Emanation, Spell Stowaway, Spell Opportunity, Spontaneous Spell, Tenacious Magic, and any Wild feat.

Table: The Epic Druid
Druid Level
Base Attack Bonus
Fort save
Ref save
Will save
Special
10th
11th
12th
13th
14th
21st
+15/+10/+5
+12
+7
+12

22nd
+16/+11/+6/+1
+13
+7
+13
Bonus feat

23rd
+17/+12/+7/+2
+13
+7
+13

24th
+18/+13/+8/+3
+14
+8
+14
Bonus feat

25th
+18/+13/+8/+3
+14
+8
+14

26th
+19/+14/+9/+4
+15
+8
+15
Bonus feat

27th
+20/+15/+10/+5
+15
+9
+15

28th
+21/+16/+11/+6
+16
+9
+16
Bonus feat

29th
+21/+16/+11/+6
+16
+9
+16

30th
+22/+17/+12/+7
+17
+10
+17
Bonus feat
<tbody> </tbody>

Table: The Epic Animal Companion

Druid Level
HD
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Skills
Feats
Natural Armor Bonus
Str/Dex Bonus
Bonus Tricks
Special
21st
+12
+10
+10
+5
+13
+7

22nd
+13
+11
+11
+6
+13
+7

23rd
+13
+11
+11
+6
+13
+7

24th
+14
+11
+11
+6
+14
+8

25th
+15
+12
+12
+6
+14
+8
Ability score increase
26th
+15
+12
+12
+7
+14
+8

27th
+15
+12
+12
+7
+15
+9

28th
+16
+13
+13
+7
+15
+9

29th
+17
+13
+13
+7
+15
+9

30th
+18
+14
+14
+8
+16
+10
Ability score increase
<tbody> </tbody>

eduar

First Post
AUTOMATIC METAMAGIC [EPIC]
Prerequisite: Ability to cast spells of the normal maximum spell level in at least one spellcasting class, Spellcraft 21 ranks.
Benefit: The character chooses one metamagic feat he or she knows. The character may cast all cantrips or orisions, 1st-, 2nd-, and 3rd-level spells as affected by the metamagic feat selected without using higher-level spell slots.
Notes: Feats that depend on making the spell’s level higher, such as Heighten Spell, do not work with this ability.
Special: A character can gain this feat multiple times. Each time a character takes this feat, the spells of his or her next three lowest spell levels can now be affected by the same metamagic feat with no adjustment to their spell slots or choose a new metamagic feat. This feat doesn’t increase the casting time for those spells that normally become full-round actions when cast in metamagic form.

BOOST SPELL [METAMAGIC][EPIC]
Prerequisites: Empower Spell, Spellcraft 27 ranks, ability to cast spells of the normal maximum spell level in at least one spellcasting class.
Benefit: All variable effects of a boosted spell are increase by one die step (d20 maximum). A boosted spell deals d8 instead of d6 damage die. A boosted spell uses up a spell slot two levels higher than the spell’s actual level.

DRAGON WILD SHAPE [WILD][EPIC]
Prerequisites: Wis 30, Knowledge (nature) 27 ranks, wild shape 8/day.
Benefit: The character may use wild shape to change into a dragon. The size limitation is the same as the character’s limitation on animal size. This ability functions like the Form of the Dragon III spell.

EPIC APTITUDE [EPIC]
Benefit: The character gains +1 skill point per hit die.
Special: A character can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects stack.

EPIC RESISTANCE [EPIC]
Benefit: Gain a +1 bonus on all saves.
Special: A character can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects stack.

IMPROVED SPELL CAPACITY [EPIC]
Prerequisite: Ability to cast spells of the normal maximum spell level in at least one spellcasting class.
Benefit: The character may cast all 1st level spells at will.
Special: A character can gain this feat multiple times. Each time a character takes this feat, cast the spells of his or her next lowest spell level at will.

I have more stuffs but is to much to post, I considerer this are the most relevant up to now, the classes with which I am having more problems are sorcerer and wizard (quite ironic). I'm using the suggestions presented in the core rulebook to advanced beyond level 20. I still need to find a way to deal with the disparity in saves and base attack. For Epic spellcasting I'm thinking in covert the system to use spell levels beyond 9th.

Last edited:

Hi eduar mate! :)

feel free to use any of my work as long as its not a for sale product and I get full creditation.

If eventually you were wanting to sell such a product then I'd have to know exactly how much of my work was in it. That said, a lot of my stuff is already in the SRD and I'd probably be okay allowing some of the throwaway ideas from the website with just full creditation.

But we can cross that bridge if we ever come to it. ;)

eduar

First Post
Hi

Damn monsters, I don't know why they have that made me advance so slowly.

I have almost finished with feats, skills, classes and prestige classes.

Any advice of what need to be fixed on epic rules?

eduar said:

Hey eduar mate! :)

Damn monsters, I don't know why they have that made me advance so slowly.

I have almost finished with feats, skills, classes and prestige classes.

Any advice of what need to be fixed on epic rules?

Do you mean beyond all the epic stuff I already fixed? if so...I don't know. :confused:

eduar

First Post
Hi U_K

Do you mean beyond all the epic stuff I already fixed? if so...I don't know. :confused:

Well yes and no, because this is a conversion of Epic in SRD to Pathfinder, and I don't want to just borrow your material, unless you want to participate in a more active way:), besides some of your solutions are not applicable to Pathfinder

The goods news are that I finished what I planned to do for monsters for now and I'm working with the Epic spells. Since in pathfinder spells level continues to grow naturally, I thought Epic spell should be there, in 10th level and beyond, so to assign levels what is done is basically divide by two the Spellcraft DC, for this all the basic DCs seeds have been subtracted 13 to a minimum of 2. I'm still not sure about allowing apply metamagic feats.

Here is an example of energy seed and a hellball

[h=2]SEED: ENERGY [/h]Evocation [Acid, Fire, Electricity, Cold, or Sonic]
Spellcraft DC: 6
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: 300 ft. or touched creature or object of 2,000 lb. or less
Area: A bolt 5 ft. wide to 300 ft. long; or a 10-ft.-radius emanation; or a wall whose area is up to one 200-ft. square; or a sphere or hemi-sphere with a radius of up to 20 ft.
Duration: Instantaneous or 20 hours (see text)
Saving Throw: Reflex half
Spell Resistance: Yes
This seed uses whichever one of five energy types the caster chooses: acid, cold, electricity, fire, or sonic. The caster can cast the energy forth as a bolt, imbue an object with the energy, or create a freestanding manifestation of the energy. If the spell developed using the energy seed releases a bolt, that bolt instantaneously deals 10d6 points of damage of the appropriate energy type, and all in the bolt’s area must make a Reflex save for half damage. For each additional 5d6 points of damage dealt, increase the Spellcraft DC by +2. The bolt begins at the caster’s fingertips. To imbue another creature with the ability to use an energy bolt as a spell-like ability at its option or when a particular condition is met, increase the Spellcraft DC by +25. The caster can also cause a creature or object to emanate the specific energy type out to a radius of 10 feet for 20 hours. The emanated energy deals 2d6 points of energy damage per round against unprotected creatures (the target creature is susceptible if not separately warded or otherwise resistant to the energy). For each additional 5d6 points of damage emanated, increase the Spellcraft DC by +2. The caster may also create a wall, half-circle, circle, dome, or sphere of the desired energy that emanates the energy for up to 20 hours. One side of the wall, selected by the caster, sends forth waves of energy, dealing 2d4 points of energy damage to creatures within 10 feet and 1d4 points of energy damage to those past 10 feet but within 20 feet. The wall deals this damage when it appears and in each round that a creature enters or remains in the area. In addition, the wall deals 2d6+20 points of energy damage to any creature passing through it. The wall deals double damage to undead creatures. For each additional 5d4 points of damage, increase the Spellcraft DC by +2.
The caster can also use the energy seed to create a spell that carefully releases and balances the emanation of cold, electricity, and fire, creating specific weather effects for a period of 20 hours. Using the energy seed this way has a base Spellcraft DC of 12. The area extends to a two-mile-radius centered on the caster. Once the spell is cast, the weather takes 10 minutes to manifest. Ordinarily, a caster can’t directly target a creature or object, though indirect effects are possible. This seed can create cold snaps, heat waves, thunderstorms, fogs, blizzards—even a tornado that moves randomly in the affected area. Creating targeted damaging effects requires an additional use of the energy seed.

[h=2]Hellball [/h]Evocation [Acid, Fire, Electricity, Sonic]
Level 14th
Spellcraft DC: 28
Components: V, S , M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 300 ft.
Area: 40-ft.-radius spread
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex half
Spell Resistance: Yes
To Develop: 252,000 gp; 6 days. Seed: energy (deals 10d6 each of acid, fire, electricity, sonic) (DC 24). Factors: double base area (+6 DC), 1-action casting time (+10 DC). Mitigating factors: 10d6 backlash (–10 DC), spend 1,000 gp in material component (–2 DC).
A hellball deals 10d6 points of acid damage, 10d6 points of fire damage, 10d6 points of electricity damage, and 10d6 points of sonic damage to all creatures within the area. Unattended objects also take this damage. The character takes 10d6 points of damage upon casting. The character points his or her finger and determine the range (distance and height) at which the hellball is to detonate. A sun-bright, fist-sized globe of energy streaks forth and, unless it impacts a material body or solid barrier prior to attaining the indicated range, expands into its full area.
Material component: 1,000 gp.

Last edited:

Remove ads