Macro-Classes (A concept)

Yeah the Portfolios all having the exact same things for each level was a bit too formulaic indeed. It was fine I suppose but it would have been nice to have like a list of powers to choose from each new tier of your portfolio. Granted that would be a logistical nightmare and way tf too time consuming, but yeah. So I'm looking forward to see how you improved this. :)

The way it works now is when you take a Portfolio you get:

Portfolio Defense
Portfolio Weakness
Portfolio Divine Boon of your choice from a list (the main power), get another for each rank in this Portfolio
Portfolio Epic Boon (typically flavour-focused and generally not combat relevant)

So you have the chance to stay with the same Portfolio and get multiple Divine Boons in that portfolio.

Or

Take a different portfolio and diversify at the cost of getting an additional weakness (which cannot be mitigated by any means without losing the portfolio entirely)

The way it works now is when you take a Portfolio you get:

Portfolio Defense
Portfolio Weakness
Portfolio Divine Boon of your choice from a list (the main power), get another for each rank in this Portfolio
Portfolio Epic Boon (typically flavour-focused and generally not combat relevant)

So you have the chance to stay with the same Portfolio and get multiple Divine Boons in that portfolio.

Or

Take a different portfolio and diversify at the cost of getting an additional weakness (which cannot be mitigated by any means without losing the portfolio entirely)
Nice that sounds at first blush exactly like what I kind of envisioned above. Like a list of abilities you can choose from at each tier. That's awesome.

Nice that sounds at first blush exactly like what I kind of envisioned above. Like a list of abilities you can choose from at each tier. That's awesome.

I noticed that. ;)

Instead of taking a Portfolio Boon you can take one of the 'standard' Boons and the only pre-reqs on various Boon tiers are ability score based.

Trying to make the Portfolio Boons as unique as possible, albeit there will be 2-3 overlaps and that's just unavoidable.

Howdy Tonguez! :)

I actually hadn't seen it before. Quite the weighty document.

I gave it a 15-20 minute read through (before I go to bed here). My thoughts after that very brief speed-read.

1. A substantial effort from the author Kevin Crawford, congrats sir.
2. There are quite a few walls of text they really need broken up with sub-headings as they seem a bit daunting.
3. The Divine Powers section looks like the best chapter in the book - kind of mirrors what we were talking about earlier as regards Portfolios.
4. There are some brilliant art pieces in the book (pages 15 and 24 are cool, page 15 should have been the cover)
5. However, the lack of art in the Bestiary chapter does hurt it, though I know art is extremely expensive, so you can't hold that against small publishers.
6. The system is a bit alien to me (as with any new system I suppose) but I do like that the stat-blocks are fairly concise.
7. Seems like the book got about 1500 backers! Consider me impressed - I'd be over the moon with half that many. Very happy to see immortal gaming supported.

I'd probably need further study to glean anything else from it.

PCs are ‘Demi-gods’, divinely powered heroes who invoke the Words of Creation (Domains) and their Gifts to perform Miracles.

The book also has Crawfords Random Tables and advice on building a high powered sandbox, factions and challenges

That advice could be useful. I might read over that chapter if I have the time.

Thanks for the suggestion Tonguez.

Remove ads